Estes Destination Mars Longship

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, that means @hcmbanjo will be cleared to post his build thread now. Looks like an interesting model.

Lots of molded plastic parts in these new kits, can't wait to see how they're going to reuse them in future designs (like the Mars Longship nose assembly, that's quite a piece...)

LEO SpaceTrain and Mars Longship are the 2 new Estes kits that I consider the most interesting. I already have the the first, will pick up the second from my LHS when they get it in stock.

I like how the instructions include a separate sheet detailing where all the decals should go. Is that common on the newer models (i.e. since new ownership took over)?

This thread needed a picture.

ESTES_IMG_Product_MarsLongship_7296_SideFlame_1000x1000px_Web.jpg

I rather like this one, but with all the plastic, I wonder if it will be as fragile as your typical PMC crash and splinter.

ESTES_IMG_Product_Centurion_5324_UpFlame_1000x1000px_Web-v2.jpg

Looking forward to adding one of these birds to the build pile, great looking kit.

I like how the instructions include a separate sheet detailing where all the decals should go. Is that common on the newer models (i.e. since new ownership took over)?

I really hope so, I find it quite irritating when the face card /directions only shows placement for a third of the decals supplied.
I just finished up a Low Boom SST and had a very difficult time figuring out which of the red stripes went with each other.
I also hope they improve the quality of the decals. On most of the newer kits I have found the extremely thin and extra sticky decals a bear to work with. I've built several of the newer releases and all of them are missing at least one decal that had gotten ruined from folding over or breakage.

You can't beat kuririn to anything. I wanted to start this post. I checked the Estes website literally two days ago thinking he must be busy building rockets! Anyway, thanks for the update. I will be looking to add this to the build pile soon.

I am definitely going to pick up 2 of the Longship and the rocket Peartree posted (forget the name). I expect to have to break out some composite E motors for the Longship though, as an D motor isnt going to send it very high, and there is no way I'm risking an CATO with the Estes E motors.

I find it interesting that the graphics on the website show this kit with a screw on engine retainer but, it comes with an engine hook.
That is kind of weird. I wonder if a 24mm screw on retainer would fit well. Won't know until I see the kit. Might be a nice retrofit.

If they're gonna call it a longship, I want to see oars, shields, and a red-and-white square sail. Just sayin'. 😀

The decal placement sheet is two-sided as there is two decal sheets of different colors.
I get into recommended decal placement order on the blog build.
Some decals should be placed in an order for better spacing.

I just finished up a Low Boom SST and had a very difficult time figuring out which of the red stripes went with each other.
I also hope they improve the quality of the decals. On most of the newer kits I have found the extremely thin and extra sticky decals a bear to work with. I've built several of the newer releases and all of them are missing at least one decal that had gotten ruined from folding over or breakage.
I did a blog post about the long decal concerns on the Low Boom SST:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2020/03/estes-low-boom-sst-7289-build-part-15.htmlHere's the whole build from finish to start:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/E Low Boom SST
I did write Estes about the difficulty I had with the decals.
They said they would into it.

You know, while I'm personally not really interested in these pseudo-futuristic rockets (tending to prefer simple sport and sport-scale basic tube rockets), I must say that I really applaud Estes' drive and creativity with these Mars and human-space-exploration themed rockets. I really hope they serve to inspire the younger generations that will one day actually be designing and flying on these vehicles to hopefully explore Mars and beyond!

You know, while I'm personally not really interested in these pseudo-futuristic rockets (tending to prefer simple sport and sport-scale basic tube rockets), I must say that I really applaud Estes' drive and creativity with these Mars and human-space-exploration themed rockets. I really hope they serve to inspire the younger generations that will one day actually be designing and flying on these vehicles to hopefully explore Mars and beyond!

Yes. Even if you don't want those rockets for yourself, do you know any younger people who might find them interesting? Pick up a kit or two for someone who might be interested, even grandkids. :)

I did a blog post about the long decal concerns on the Low Boom SST:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2020/03/estes-low-boom-sst-7289-build-part-15.htmlHere's the whole build from finish to start:
https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/search/label/E Low Boom SST
I did write Estes about the difficulty I had with the decals.
They said they would into it.

Thanks Chris, I really need to start consulting your blog more often before I start the build.:facepalm:
I could have used the guidance on those long,stretchy decals.
The construction came out beautiful. I managed to get a nice, blemish free paint job. Then proceeded to ruin it with the decals.
I will be following your Longship Build as closely as possible.

Chris, I've been wondering if you have any thoughts as to whether or not the provided engine mount might be able to withstand higher thrust than the Estes E engines? Say an Aerotech E30 or similar? 500 feet on an Estes E engine is so-so at best, and I might want to have the option to give the rocket some extra oomph. Or would it be prudent to upgrade the mount to something sturdier?

I just received my Longship, and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised that it came in a neat box, rather than the usual plastic bag. My son wants me to keep the box because its so cool - I always keep the bag+instructions, leftover balsa, etc anyways.

Back