Estes' designer kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Anyone purchaced the 'designer's kit' form Estes?

Worth it?

I recently bought one, but though the contents a little, well.. I feel I will / am better off to buy kits, and bash them as required..

I tend to agree. I bought mine before I discovered the Fliskits tube assortments, and learned to make my own nose cones and transitions. The "designers kits" have some unique parts, but they pretty much are things that I can do without, and are just cluttering up my "building parts" storage tub.

WW

I understand that Estes has stopped producing the Designers Special. Thats what I was told at the hobby shop I go to.

I got a 30" red nylon parachute in a designer's special kit. that parachute started us on the road to MPR and HPR!

we put it in a blue crayon rocket, certed level 1 with that, and the rest is history.

some of the tubes, balsa, and nose cones from the designer's special kit went in to the 6' USS Grissom. other parts went here and there, as I look around ...

gonna go make some more history right now. anyone for a a pterodactyl crayon rocket?

I just bought one recently.. I tend to agree.. just buy kits and bash them as needed..

I had hoped to get some good nose cones in there, but it was just junk.. :mad:

:sigh:

oh well

Jerome

Originally posted by Dr Wogz

Worth it?

I recently bought one, but though the contents a little, well.. I feel I will / am better off to buy kits, and bash them as required..

I got a couple, one of them just a few weeks ago. It had a pretty decent mix of stuff. Short on nose cones though. Watch for them on eBay for $25 or $30. At that price it's a good del for some stock, but don't expect to really get 8 birds or whatever out of it all. I just got it to fill out my supply of parts.

Mine had a kit in it -- a BT55 bird with through-wall fins. I bashed it into something better than they'd intended.

Originally posted by Dr Wogz

Worth it?

The Designer's Special is little more than Estes way of cleaning out all of their unwanted odds and ends. Red Arrow Hobbies sells a tube assortment through their Ebay store that runs in the $25 range.
https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2567&item=3117553495
As you can see, it's a lot more than just a bunch of garbage. I'm on my second set and have been using them in conjunction with my periodic BMS nose cone orders. If it's the cones you're after, kitbashing might be the way to go, but if you have specific cloning plans in mind, this is a nice way to build up some usable stock.

Dr Wogz,

If you want a good deal on tubes get in touch with Taras at ARG (Sigma Rockets). The 'designer's kits' are useful to build up an assortement of stuff for scratch building. Other than a couple of nylon chutes, I also got a Big Dawg kit (minus decals) in one. :D

You could also check out our (FlisKits) BT-MIX for a good body tube assortment. 2 each of the BT-5, BT-20, BT-50, BT-55, BT-60 & BT-70 (18" lengths except the 17.5" BT70), all for only $12.95

We're looking to be annouceing some designer kits ourselves, but the contents will be clearly defined up front.

jim

Back