Estes - Der Red Max (KC-2 or #0651) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks cool, I just picked one up myself. I also picked up parts to make it a 18mm mount.

looks cool, I just picked one up myself. I also picked up parts to make it a 18mm mount.

I was actually surprised that it came with a 13mm mount, i was expecting a standard sized engine mount for the mini max. Im sure it can handle it no problem...

Here's a pic of my:
Der Goony Max
Der Grosser Vati (prototype)
Der Big Red Max (clone with 24mm motor mount)

IMG_8048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Der Red Max found in a small hobby store in Holland Michigan during the summer of 2009.

Der Red Max-Forum.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

Next up is the Mini Max. I know it's not really Halloweeny, but it does have
a skull on it.:rolleyes:

This and the following post copied to the gallery with permission

Mini_max (Large).jpg

Mini_max_launch (Large).jpg

Of course if you're going to fly the Mini Max, you should fly the original. :D
This rocket has always done well in the past, unfortunately not this time.
I had a helper for this launch, and apparently he loosened the rod in the
holder. When the rocket launched it took the rod with it. :shock::confused2:
The ejection happened just before it crashed and the only damage was the
launch lugs were ripped off.

Red_max (Large).jpg

Red_max_launch (Large).jpg

Red_max_down (Large).jpg

Next time I find myself without a project, I would LOVE to build a 4 inch Der Red Max. 75mm motor mount? :wink:

Braden

Next time I find myself without a project, I would LOVE to build a 4 inch Der Red Max. 75mm motor mount? :wink:

Braden

That would leave you just enough room for a single grain 75 motor and single deploy......I think a 54mm would be MORE than enough for a 4" Red Max. But if you decide to build one, I will be watching the build thread.

I built mine with a 38mm motor mount and wish I had done 54 (I was talked into the 38 and almost did 29)
It is one of my favorite rockets but to do it over again, I would put a access panel in between 2 fins for an altimeter and set it up for dual deploy with a teather or 2 chute cannons. I may build a 5.5" one (with all listed) and also include a few air start motors.

Sort 031.jpg

That would leave you just enough room for a single grain 75 motor and single deploy......I think a 54mm would be MORE than enough for a 4" Red Max. But if you decide to build one, I will be watching the build thread.

I built mine with a 38mm motor mount and wish I had done 54 (I was talked into the 38 and almost did 29)
It is one of my favorite rockets but to do it over again, I would put a access panel in between 2 fins for an altimeter and set it up for dual deploy with a teather or 2 chute cannons. I may build a 5.5" one (with all listed) and also include a few air start motors.

Wouldn't the easiest solution for the motor fitting problem be to simply make it a der big red max upscale? :wink:

Maybe not 4 inch? Whatever size Mark's is, because that's the perfect size.

Edit: After actually reading Mark's post instead of admiring the picture, I learned that it's 5.5 inch. But yes, that size please :D

Braden

Last edited:
I was bored and itching to build something and going thru my inventory of parts I found out I had enough to build a slightly stretched version of the Mini Max. I had a original balsa nose cone and the fins and decal set, and then i found a 6.5" BT-50 tube and a 18mm engine mount. It stands at 11.5" tall and this is what I came up with.

I felt that the yellow stood out better than the shade of red that I have so here it is.... I made a 30" streamer made of 1.75" wide bright orange crepe paper.
Should be a beast on a B6 or C7 engine... ;)

CIMG1114.JPG

CIMG1115.JPG

CIMG1116.JPG

Here's a photo of my DRM, which I cloned about a year before Estes re-released the kit. It's shown here alongside the Roachworks custom nose I got for the 38mm 3-inch version I'm working on. Next up will be a 5.5-inch version.

I have a fever...and the only prescription is more Der Red Max! :D

DRMncone.jpg

My Der Red Max. Just finished the build last weekend; hope to launch it tomorrow if the weather is kind to us.

P7090003.jpg

P7090001.jpg

P7090002.jpg

P7090004 skull.jpg

Last edited:
I had a successful lv 1 cert today on a CTI 225 white thunder. Beautiful flight. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

DSC_0010 resized.jpg

DSC_0052 resized.jpg

One of my favorites... just slightly different...... may she rest in peace.

Picture 009a.jpg

My first Der Red Max, built stock. The nose was a lot glossier before I added the clear coat, so I may touch that up some more. I foresee a few variations on this one in my fleet before long as well.

Der Red Max small.jpg

001-4.jpg

L to R: 1) Der Goonie Max from Excelsior, 24mm powered. 2) Very early clone that has all of the white areas cut from plastic shelf paper, 18mm powered. 3) Mini-Blue Max prototype from Retro Rocketry, 13mm powered. 4) New Estes reissue, 18mm powered. 5) Mini-Max prototype from Retro Rocketry, 13mm powered. 6) Der Big Red Max clone from a current Estes kit, 24mm E powered.:cool: 7) Der Grosser Vati from Excelsior, 24mm E powered.
Missing: Current Estes Mini Red Max kit (built, not painted,) and Excelsior Der Fat Max (have parts, need to order decal from Gordon.)

Der Kinder Max - 1/4A3-3T motor with Featherweight recover. 1 great flight so far. I had to print red on a white-background decal sheet, but it looks better in real life than the pics.

FctNcTX8jBT9et8lEIA4HGDYyQO9YZyhPhnMAtFg5hPNGAwgKqMOTosHKI33zV7rTJgM_64auR7MkkwyaG5wLDL3zg=s512

seEwjxhyMUyUietv6ONOmm8EQo_HMyYLSUNGBm-HH7_T1tg44e6D-iU5AqTCSmmiLg_THO2IABUkLgOboOmmCeU2IA=s512

Last edited:
Wow! Some great looking Maxs! My favorite Estes rocket as a kid.

My 29 mm Der Grosser Vati:
IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

Maiden flight of my 24mm Max. Going to go with a camo scheme.

IMG_5176-1.jpg

My 24 mm Camo Max. Great flights on D power. Flys awesome on an E9. I really want to try an E30 but I'm waiting for the locator beacon. :D

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5283.jpg

IMG_5287.jpg

I thought this thread could use a purple mini and another pink max. I love dg1's camo max

Purple max-9877.JPG

Pink Max (2 of 2).JPG

Here is another "version" of a MAX. This is my Performance Rocketry Lil Rascal.
I had an unfortunate lawn dart episode that required a bit of repair. When the bandages came off, this is what I had.

The lawn dart repair required a few inches of body tube to be added. When I had it done, it just looked like a Max. A few phone calls to Mark @ stickershock and it was done.

It's not red and it's not a max.....It's a 'Lil Red Rascal.

Hope you like it. It is going up on a K160 (long burn) at Midwest Power next week.

IMAG0207.jpg

Back