Estes Der Red Max (0651) Weekend Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoJuliet

Reaction score
It's going to be another slow weekend at work, so I'm going to build the original Der Red Max to go along with the nearly completed Mega Der Red Max that I've been working on during my week away from work.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477687992.023490.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477688011.559393.jpg

As with my previous work-weekend builds, paint and decals will get done at home next week. I brought my van to work this week instead of the motorcycle so I can get all these rockets home next Thursday.

DRM is the workhorse of our fleet. I have one in original markings and one with Green Max markings from Stickershock. I have never had a problem that wasn't user induced and they have both survived quite well, worst damage was a popped fin. It is a great flier and it's a lot of fun an an Aerotech D-21.

My DRM is, next to my Astron Sprint XL, my favorite workhorse. I fly him every launch, no matter what else I'm also flying. He needs a new chute though....wish I could get a nylon black skull & crossbones for it.

Since you already have Mega, get Mini next to have all 3. I keep them together on display. Poor little Mini isn't even as tall as Mega's fins.

There's something about DRM's...they're quite endearing.....

Yes, I need to add the Mini to the fleet as well. I have a Fat Boy, a Mini Fat Boy, a Big Bertha, and a Baby Bertha. I think it'll be fun for kids (of all ages) to see each one and compare their flight performances.

Almost too simple, but perfect for something to do in the office when it's slow but you have to be here.

Here's the small fleet that I've assembled over 3 weekends (every other) at work.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477948035.933425.jpg

These will all go home with me on Wednesday evening where they'll get their finishing touches. A few of them may still get the spirals filled even before paint.

I've got a few others to build, but two of them are scale models and they'll be better done in my home shop.

Yeah, they may be simple builds but they are some pretty good candy. That fleet also looks like it has some good candidates for a slick finish. My Green Max got the full treatment since it is jus big enough to show off a nice shine but small enough to not be a major undertaking, plus, those huge fins are easier for me to deal with when doing a high gloss job.

That fleet also looks like it has some good candidates for a slick finish. My Green Max got the full treatment since it is jus big enough to show off a nice shine but small enough to not be a major undertaking, plus, those huge fins are easier for me to deal with when doing a high gloss job.

What's your finishing method of choice? Automotive lacquers?

Mostly Rusto 2X with acrylic clear. I don't really do anything special, I just take my time when I want a good finish. I use the same approach with Pinewood Derby cars but sand the CURED clear with 600-800 grit in between coats and it shines beautifully. The only magic ingredient is patience, every time I rush things I ruin the finish.

Back