Estes - Dark Energy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've thought about getting one of those. Wasn't too happy with the fins though, until I saw a picture of someones rocket that they reversed the fins so that the fins sweep to the rear.

Dark Energy.jpg

Yeah, I found the fin configuration strange, so I flipped mine around. Still not wildly aerodynamic, but it flies fine.

This is an Out of Production kit but picked one up at a hobby store recently for $20. Considering building it, but maybe I should hold on to it for collector value??

This is an Out of Production kit but picked one up at a hobby store recently for $20. Considering building it, but maybe I should hold on to it for collector value??
Not a kit that’s likely to generate much collector interest - the unique nose cone is still available in the #3173 Sci-Fi Assortment so it would be fairly easy to clone. I suppose if a “completist” collector who’s trying to have every kit in a certain year catalog was looking for one it could have some real value. Otherwise, IMO, build it and fly it! 😎

Buy, build, fly.

Do take measurements and patterns of the tubes and fins just in case you lose it. A high resolution scan of the decals will help as well as worst case you can ask Stick shock to create replacements.

This is an interesting rocket to fly. Mine whistled when flown and creates and interesting effect on the smoke trail but it is also very draggy so you need a larger motor than you think for satisfying flights.

Consider turning the fins around the backwards way. I saw a picture of someone's rocket who did that and it looked good. Maybe help with the drag a bit too?

I dunno, I like the way it looks -- and I'm a fan of low and slow, draggy rockets. B6-4 or C6-3 will fly it regardless. I don't have A8-3's, so I'll try it as-is. If the C6-5 isn't enough, I'll beef it up a bit and fly on 18mm composites.

Just finished this one, The nose cone is nearly as long as the rest of the rocket. There are 5 T-shaped fins that are rather draggy, which should keep it low and slow, which is fine with me. The small strakes in front of the fins are the hole fillers from the teardrop T-part of the fins.

IMG_5195_Small.jpg

Just finished this one, The nose cone is nearly as long as the rest of the rocket. There are 5 T-shaped fins that are rather draggy, which should keep it low and slow, which is fine with me. The small strakes in front of the fins are the hole fillers from the teardrop T-part of the fins.

View attachment 633134

Beautiful build and yes it is a very draggy rocket. I don't even bother with anything less that a C6-3. The C6-5 delay was too long for mine but I'm getting nice 450-475ft flights on the C6-3

Back