Estes - D.A.R.T. (#1981) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Howie

Reaction score
This is a scratch clone of the D.A.R.T.
BT60 18mm motor (B6-4 this flight). Paper nose cone. Very long streamer

Post copied to gallery with permission

redmaxgo.jpg

dart.jpg

dartlaunch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes D.A.R.T. (#1981) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes D.A.R.T. (#1981) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: D.A.R.T.: #1981

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes D.A.R.T. (#1981) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: D.A.R.T. Also known as:

NUMBER: #1981

Introduced: 1987
Final Year: 1988
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 16"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span:
Weight: 1.76 oz

Mfg. Description: Looks like a high speed tracker for data acquisition and reconaissance. Easy to build, fun to fly. Flights to 800' with "C" engine are possible. A 12" parachute provides reliable recovery. (Estes 1987 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-dart%201981-1987%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1987 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-dart%201981-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Original kit. Flies fine, but I just can't get past that "Cat-In-The-Hat" nose cone.
dart-glamour-shot-600-78162.jpg

the-dart-leaves-the-quark-pad-600-36654.jpg

I just finished the D.A.R.T. decal last week.

They are up on my web site now.

DART decal.JPG

Original kit. Flies fine, but I just can't get past that "Cat-In-The-Hat" nose cone.

I hear ya. You don't have to go with the manufacturer's face card paint. Have a little fun and make a paint scheme up for yourself on some future model. It's fun and you just may surprise yourself.

I think ya did good.

Last edited:
I like the "Cat in the Hat" look, though I never thought of it in those terms before.

Are you sure you got the order of the colors right?

Shouldn't it be red, black, yellow?

The scan I was sent shows it at black, red, yellow. The same as the German flag.

The catalog picture in post #2 above shows it as black, red, yellow but Fishhead's pic in post #4 shows it as red, black yellow.

Easy enough to change.

Real easy.

Last edited:
Even more interesting.

The colors are a bit different too. The yellow is more gold like the German flag.

Maybe...just maybe, you have a German import version? Perhaps Estes changed it a bit when they sent it to Germany so as not to offend.

The scan on Ye Olde shows it red, black yellow but the cover art shows it black, red, yellow.

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/estes/est1981/est1981.htm

DART scan.JPG

Last edited:
Finally got around to cloning a D.A.R.T. Used my old (untouched) nosecone and stuck with my original paint scheme. Probably slap a few decals on the body for good measure.

Back