Estes Crossbow SST

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at the Salem NH Wal Mart this morning and they had all four.
I picked up the Ricochet and Star Stryker.

Lucky you!!! And, the Hobby Lobby at Jones Road/FM 1960 seems to be the
best I've seen (out of the others closer to me) when it comes to model rocketry stuff, so you're in great hands, John!

Yeah a Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot and Wal-Mart within 2 miles of each other. Plus another Michaels, Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby over on Hwy 6.

Too bad for John it's almost all directly on my way home from work. :wave:

Although that Michaels on Hwy 6 south of 529 appears to have gotten out of the model rocket business. They sold off all their inventory at clearance prices.

John,

I went to the Northbridge Walmart today and they had the Taser Twin, Ricochet and Star Stryker but not the Crossbow SST so I didn't get you one.

Did you want any of the others or just the Crossbow SST?

Thanks, Bob, but I found them in Framingham. I ended up buying all four.

Although that Michaels on Hwy 6 south of 529 appears to have gotten out of the model rocket business. They sold off all their inventory at clearance prices.

What!?!? I was going to drop in there this afternoon (but didn't, as I was too
hungry to eat and then went home). I bought modroc stuff there from time to time (mostly engines, since they're open on Sundays this makes it convenient
to get the kind of engines that Wal - Mart doesn't carry -- a big plus on some
NAR Contest days that runs through Sundays). Thanks for the heads up.

What!?!? I was going to drop in there this afternoon (but didn't, as I was too
hungry to eat and then went home). I bought modroc stuff there from time to time (mostly engines, since they're open on Sundays this makes it convenient
to get the kind of engines that Wal - Mart doesn't carry -- a big plus on some
NAR Contest days that runs through Sundays). Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. Yeah I was surprised as well. I walked in the week before last and what was previously a 4 ft section of aisle dedicated to model rockets was down to about 18" of merchandise. Then I noticed the motor prices: $4.99. Then the prices on the remaining kits. :D

I picked up 1 Patriot, 2 Screaming Eagles, 1 Bullpup and 3 Hi-Flyers (gonna be outboards) for no more than $7.99 a piece. The Hi-Flyers went for $2.99 a pop. I got all of the 18mm motors that were left and there were not many.

The last I saw there were some T motors left plus some Swifts, Quarks, and a couple each of the small SpaceShip One and Bullpup kits left. Probably all gone now. :(

Well I picked up a Crossbow and a Taser Twin at my local WM today. That's in La Habra, Ca. The Crossbow was $6.96 and the TT $5.96 for a total of $14 and change. Not bad. I don't understand the boxes, I know for WM shelves and all that. Seems at those prices, a plastic bag could bring it down even lower. Anyway, I got 2 of 'em. That didn't take long for them to get all across the country.

I like the cardboard boxes, although I do agree they are a bit large (overkill). Maybe they are that big to attract attention? Maybe Estes had to buy back to many blistered kits because ppl opened them to see what was inside them? I to picked up the Crossbow and Taser Twin at my local Super Wally World.

The Sustainer of the Taser Twin reminds me of the Skyhook? Anyone else notice this?

I picked up the Star Stryker yesterday to go with the Ricochet I already have.

At first I thought the Crossbow either had or was a glider until I looked at it more closely.

I however, due to the very high altitudes it will reach, see a lot of lost Taser Twin sustainers.;)

I started building my Crossbow yesterday. The minimum diameter doesn't really excite me, it just looks to small to me. Actually the main reason I bought the kit was to upscale it to a BT-80.

Back to this kit, it was great to see the balsa nose cone and the BT's supplied are of very good quality. The fins/wings are laser cut balsa, but my kit the wood was low quality and very rough on one side. Not really a big deal. I built the body tube/motor mount leaving off the motor hook since it's on the outside. Plus, friction fitting the motor will work fine.

I have been real busy but I was able to find time and finish these four rockets. All and all these are fantastic kits. The decals are thick and easy to work with, I did not treat with anything just dipped in water and applied.

DSC_0001-5.jpg

DSC_00032.jpg

DSC_00072.jpg

DSC_00122.jpg

DSC_0014-13.jpg

HEY! FOUL!

No one said anything about a BBZ. Or didn't I get the memo?

Kidding.

Great finishes on all 4!

Okay- not to go OT too far, but yer' mostly correct about the chutes. One fact needs to be added, I learned about how bad white was for a chute from my OWN experience. I shot a IB in the winter and it landed in a plowed field with lots of snow blobs in it. As I waled around searching for the white chute and the black and white rocket I said to myself "those guys on TRF were right... white ain't a good color for a parachute." Listen to the customers... they know a lot.:rolleyes:

Interesting tidbit about the chutes... I find that a bit amusing actually... :D

Dr. Zooch used to use plain white trash bags cut into hexes for his kit chutes, and folks griped that they were too hard to see in the air (blend with clouds, low contrast, whatever) and on the ground (looks like, well, a W/M bag or other trash lying around) so he managed to get his hands on some red trash bags, which worked better. Then he found his source of red trash bags was sort of a happy accident or something like that, because red trash bags are sort of a no-no in the trash bag industry, because red is reserved for BIO-HAZARD medical waste type stuff. So, now he's using yellow trash bags for chutes, and I think I've heard some guys say they got an orange one, though I haven't.

Now due to the nanny state, Estes can't print their parachutes anymore (or time being, whatever) and are using plain white 'trash bag' chutes... I think I'd toss it and just send some nickels to Evil Ed and get some of those cool Hartle Engineering parachutes... :D WAY better chute than Estes would ever put in their kit anyway...

Yall have a good one! OL JR :)

Scigs30,

Your work on these rockets is excellent! Just a few quick questions about your technique: What kind of glue do you use on the fin attachment? What do you do extra to get such clean fillets? Lastly, what do you do to fill the balsa?

I am very impressed and whatever you're doing I want to do!!

Thanks

Scigs30,

Your work on these rockets is excellent! Just a few quick questions about your technique: What kind of glue do you use on the fin attachment? What do you do extra to get such clean fillets? Lastly, what do you do to fill the balsa?

I am very impressed and whatever you're doing I want to do!!

Thanks

I use plain old Elmers White Glue All for all the construction and fillets. I use Midwest Aerogloss balsa sealer, 3 coats.

Back