Estes Crossbow SST

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana

Reaction score
New kits are arriving at WalMart. Only checked one so far, they had the Crossbow, Richochet and I think, the Taser Twin.

I think I'll leave out the engine hook, so I leave off the exterior retaining ring.

Here it is, note the white parachute and the crazy large bag for the motor block. The water-slide decals look as good as I've seen from Estes for a while, they are the type that do not have the clear coating over the whole sheet.

box.jpg

contents.jpg

parachute.jpg

Last edited:
Is this a minimum diameter kit? It looks smaller than the old Satellite Interceptor, but I like the new decal colors.

Yep, minimum diameter. I actually didn't notice that 'till I got home. It's been so long since there was a new Estes kit I liked, I just snapped it up.

How does the nosecone look/fit? From the picture, it looks very nice.

Since when did Estes begin using balsa cones again?

Apparently this has been in the works for awhile. The whole new WalMart line is all balsa, as is the Classics line coming out over the next year. Estes has apparently been watching the forums and decided that we want balsa.

The balsa cones are about three times the cost of a similar plastic cone, therefore there are some second thoughts within Estes about it. So, if you want to see them continue to use balsa noses, you need to vote with your dollars.

As for me, I'd like to see each (plastic and balsa) used as appropriate.

New kits are arriving at WalMart. Only checked one so far, they had the Crossbow, Richochet and I think, the Taser Twin.

I think I'll leave out the engine hook, so I leave off the exterior retaining ring.

Here it is, note the white parachute and the crazy large bag for the motor block. The water-slide decals look as good as I've seen from Estes for a while, they are the type that do not have the clear coating over the whole sheet.

Wow, I didn't realize the sustainable were in the wild yet. I will have to hit up Wal-mart tomorrow as I want one of these.

Very cool!:cool: THAT is one that I am REALLY looking forward to arriving in this area! I just picked up a Star Stryker(another one of the 'Sustainables') at WM this afternoon!

Yeah, that is a silly HUGE bag just for the engine block and hook!..LMBO..Hmmmm, wonder if I have a plain white parachute in my Star Stryker as well..

Looking forward to more of this build and your eventual paint scheme!

Star Stryker 001.jpg

I was able to grab all four kits in DE yesterday. I'm not crazy about the minimum diameter on some of the kits, but the quality looks pretty good, the designs are cool, and it's hard to beat the price. Not only are the motor hooks bags extra large, but I think the boxes could be about half the size. Lots of empty space there, but better than the weird Launchable packaging, I suppose.

Estes-Sustainables.jpg

I think I remember in the Barry Tunick Q&A that going back to balsa was also based on CPSC issues.

I was able to grab all four kits in DE yesterday. I'm not crazy about the minimum diameter on some of the kits, but the quality looks pretty good, the designs are cool, and it's hard to beat the price. Not only are the motor hooks bags extra large, but I think the boxes could be about half the size. Lots of empty space there, but better than the weird Launchable packaging, I suppose.
I knew I liked the look of the Ricochet, but I may have to pick up a Crossbow SST as well.

Are all of these kits minimum-diameter?

Maybe the box sizes were standardized so that a larger kit could fit into them. Or, maybe not. ;)

Last edited:
Maybe the box sized were standardized so that a larger kit could fit into them. Or, maybe not. ;)

That would make sense..Have one 'standardized' size..Helps keep the over head down from having 16 different sized boxes- 1 for each different kit...

Will have to stop by a WM I pass on the way home from work and see what they have..I really want the Crossbow! :D

I knew I liked the look of the Ricochet, but I may have to pick up a Crossbow SST as well.

Are all of these kits minimum-diameter?

Maybe the box sizes were standardized so that a larger kit could fit into them. Or, maybe not. ;)

The Richochet is not minimum diameter. It's BT50 based and has separate motor mount. All the kits appear to use the same cone. The Richochet also has the extra balsa transition which probably explains why it is priced the highest of the four. All the parts looks like quality stuff. I'll probably ditch the rubber band shock cord and ditch the 12" chute on the BT20 rockets. Seems like a streamer or 8-10 inch chute would be better given the diminutive nature of the rockets and altitudes they are capable of.

The four kits you pictured are at the nearest Wal - Mart in my area (we have
three stores pretty close, with several more within easy driving distance); the
Fry Road/W. Little York store. Gotta get me some!!

I was wrong about the cones. I just checked and the Star Stryker and has a BT50 cone and uses the same transition as the Richochet. The Taser Twin already comes with a streamer.

The four kits you pictured are at the nearest Wal - Mart in my area (we have
three stores pretty close, with several more within easy driving distance); the
Fry Road/W. Little York store. Gotta get me some!!
I'm going to check the Wal-Mart at the Beltway and Westview in just a few minutes.

That would make sense..Have one 'standardized' size..Helps keep the over head down from having 16 different sized boxes- 1 for each different kit...

Will have to stop by a WM I pass on the way home from work and see what they have..I really want the Crossbow! :D

Another reason for using the same sized box on all 16 kits is that they probably ship an "assortment" carton to each WM - Not sure how many to a carton, but probably something like four of each (remember that there are four kits released in the first cycle, followed by the next four in the next cycle and so on). By making all the boxes the same size, a standard sized carton can be shipped. Not to mention, they all take up the same space on the shelf - something WM has always pursued from their suppliers (Remember the Launchables?).

Greg

I found all 4 of the kits at the Temecula Walmart in California. These are nice kits and I think Estes is heading in the right direction. We will see if this type of kit brings in new rocketeers, only time will tell. The only complaint I have is that they are still made in China. I cross referenced the balsa nose cones 3 BNC-20 and 1 BNC-50. The 3 BNC-20 cones are BNC-20AZ, same cone as the Mini Bomarc. The BNC-50 is the BNC-50K, same length but not as pointed. The nose cones on the right in the pictures are the originals taken from my Trident II kit.
DSC_0115-3.jpg

BNC-50K
DSC_0116-3.jpg

BNC-20AZ
DSC_0117-5.jpg

Balsa Nosecones? The one thing I liked about Estes kits now replaced by balsa? lol. I will still get these kits though.

I'm going to check the Wal-Mart at the Beltway and Westview in just a few minutes.
This Wal-Mart has all 4 of the new Sustainables kits, plus the Moon Mutt set, plus the Rascal and the other RTF, plus the 64-combination set, plus IIRC two other rockets in launch sets. Everything had prices shown on the shelf *except* for the new Sustainables kits.

The Rascal, the other RTF, and the 4 Sustainables kits are all packaged in identically-sized and -shaped cardboard boxes. The Rascal and the other RTF were displayed inside a display package, with 4 rocket boxes to a package. And while they weren't inside any kind of display package, the store had 4 of each of the Sustainables on the shelf, which seems to support what Greg Poehlein said in his post.

There was also a SpaceShip One in the Launchables packaging, with the shelf price shown as $8.96. :eek:

They had two of the new motor display packages, with A10-3T's, A8-3's, B6-4's, and C6-3/5/7's. There were two price stickers for Estes motors on the front of the shelf, one for $4.97 and the other for $3.00.

I did not scan anything to check the actual prices.

I hit up three Wal-marts in my area over my lunch break and none of them have these kets yet. :( I guess I just ahve to be patient.

Thanks for clearing up the sustainables term. I haven't been on YORF in a month or two so I haven't been too up to date on this topic. They all look nice though. I'm looking forward to picking a few of these up.

This Wal-Mart has all 4 of the new Sustainables kits, plus the Moon Mutt set, plus the Rascal and the other RTF, plus the 64-combination set, plus IIRC two other rockets in launch sets. Everything had prices shown on the shelf *except* for the new Sustainables kits.

The Rascal, the other RTF, and the 4 Sustainables kits are all packaged in identically-sized and -shaped cardboard boxes. The Rascal and the other RTF were displayed inside a display package, with 4 rocket boxes to a package. And while they weren't inside any kind of display package, the store had 4 of each of the Sustainables on the shelf, which seems to support what Greg Poehlein said in his post.

There was also a SpaceShip One in the Launchables packaging, with the shelf price shown as $8.96. :eek:

They had two of the new motor display packages, with A10-3T's, A8-3's, B6-4's, and C6-3/5/7's. There were two price stickers for Estes motors on the front of the shelf, one for $4.97 and the other for $3.00.

I did not scan anything to check the actual prices.

The Westview Wal - Mart always seem to carry a good line of kits and motors, out of the many Wal - Marts I've visited in the far west Houston area.

Gee, only $9.99 starting bid and $6.50 shipping. What a deal! :eek:

That would save me from driving all the way to Walmart and spending $6.96 on the kit. :rolleyes:

Well, if your local Walmart has them, pick one up for me. I spent Sunday afternoon driving from store to store and came up empty. I made it as far as Oxford before the ballgame I was listening to ended and I went home. A GPS can be a dangerous thing. :)

Back