Estes Crossbow SST Build & Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Flight
I finally got a couple of test flights on my new Crossbow yesterday. The flight performance was excellent on a B4-4, and B6-4 with lot's of altitude. Typical of a low drag, minimum diameter it leaves the pad in a hurry and was very stable. No issues with the flying qualities of this design, but beware if you use a C motor it's going completely out of site!

Build
I have to admit the minimum diameter doesn't really excite me, too small!
Nice balsa nose cone, fins/wings are laser cut balsa. In my kit the laser cut wood was low quality, and very rough on one side. I built the body tube/motor mount leaving off the motor hook since it's on the outside, friction fitting the motor will work fine.

Pro's
1. The design is really cool and is perfect for upscaling.
2. Great looks, excellent flight performance.
3. Decals that actually work.

Con's
1. To small!
2. Some decals shown on design not included in kit.
3. Exposed motor hook has got to go.

IMG_0779.jpg

We haven't opened our kits, so I didn't know that they embellished the box art concerning decals. That bugs me.

As for the minimum diameter with exposed hook issue, my plan is to build them for 13mm motors, if/when I finally get that far down the build que. The models are small anyway, so they need small motors. I've done that with several BT-20 sized and a few BT-50 sized kits over the decades. :cool:

We haven't opened our kits, so I didn't know that they embellished the box art concerning decals. That bugs me.

As for the minimum diameter with exposed hook issue, my plan is to build them for 13mm motors, if/when I finally get that far down the build que. The models are small anyway, so they need small motors. I've done that with several BT-20 sized and a few BT-50 sized kits over the decades. :cool:

I was thinking the same thing - If built light enough it might even fly on 1/2A3-4T motors as well. Have to look at it tonight to see.

Back