Estes Cosmos Mariner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John you deserved a better fate. What other gliders have you built or flown?
Cheers
fred

I done The Edmonds Tinee, Holverson's Zoomie, a few Estes styrofoam things that shall remain nameless and Semroc's Swift Boost Glider. THe Swift is my only glide success to date. I just finished it and posted some vids last night in the glider part of the forum.

I done The Edmonds Tinee, Holverson's Zoomie, a few Estes styrofoam things that shall remain nameless and Semroc's Swift Boost Glider. THe Swift is my only glide success to date. I just finished it and posted some vids last night in the glider part of the forum.
I built a pile of wreckage called a flatcat from quest i belive that was supposed to be fool proof and proved not to be :). SSem roc does have some great gliders pal :)
Cheers
fred

I built a pile of wreckage called a flatcat from quest i belive that was supposed to be fool proof and proved not to be :). SSem roc does have some great gliders pal :)
Cheers
fred

I have a flat cap around here somewhere but it is the old one from MRC.

I just never had all that much interest in gliders. I was neutral on them until starting the Mariner and that drug out over a few years while I did not have the desire to make the effort on any others. THe Swift has gone some way towards changing that, though.

Keep it as light as possible, make sure the pod slides easily, longer launch rods. Or RC :).

kj

So, with John taking probably the most precautions of anyone I know in getting one of these to fly, and in me having one still in the package unbuilt, what's the lesson learned here in getting one to fly succesfully?

Outside of the obvious of not doing it.

Y'all are just never going to believe this. I'll post the report when I can review the phtosos and vid.

The reputation does not do justice to the awful reality.

Who would have thought that an ejection charge could blow the motor mount 75 yards and blow a hole through the nose...

I believe you, my story about my CM is in the glider section. Same thing happened to me, during the second flight, it actually glided back but i stalled which it nearly did not do on the first flight (less nose weight so to speak :-().

The thing i nearly can't believe is that it happened on the 19th of september, EXACTLY the same day as yours, but on another continent ...

I believe you, my story about my CM is in the glider section. Same thing happened to me, during the second flight, it actually glided back but i stalled which it nearly did not do on the first flight (less nose weight so to speak :-().

The thing i nearly can't believe is that it happened on the 19th of september, EXACTLY the same day as yours, but on another continent ...

I was about to suggest that we proclaim 19 Sept as Cosmos Mariner Memorial Day and we all make an effort to crash our CMs. Then I realized that I could never have one ready in time for the next occasion since the first one took me over 2 years to build.

Maybe we can just lift a pint to celebrate instead.

One of these days I'd like to see one of these fly the way they are supposed to, just to say I've seen it.

I saw one glide at NARAM. It was a sort of steep decent but it still was a decent glide in a space shuttle sort of a way. It was nice. I think everyone watched because we've heard so much about it.

I saw one glide at NARAM. It was a sort of steep decent but it still was a decent glide in a space shuttle sort of a way. It was nice. I think everyone watched because we've heard so much about it.

Yup.

I've heard it does happen from time to time. I'd like to see it, or at least se a video of it.

Yup.

I've heard it does happen from time to time. I'd like to see it, or at least se a video of it.

Heck, I'd like to speak to the person who got it to work!

Then again, so would Estes . . . :)

The rocket was found on its side, tail slightly up and with no damage to the wings or fins. The forward end, though, was a mess. The charge had blown out the front and stripped the weights off.

I gave the carcass away to a youngster who thought it was neat.

Man this is too bad after all the time and effort you put into this kit :(
I was really hoping you would get an epic flight to reward your hard work.

I look forward to your next build.

Man this is too bad after all the time and effort you put into this kit :(
I was really hoping you would get an epic flight to reward your hard work.

I look forward to your next build.

I appreciate the sentiment but I'm not really all that bummed. I'm just enjoying the ride.

I am sure John will build something equaling interesting and probably a lot more flightworthy.
Cheers
fred

Back