Estes Conquest Build and Musings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks awesome! I really like the black wingtips and the orange on the intake interiors.

Except for scale models, I’ll usually deviate from the card art too. It adds a little something that becomes your own. I usually let my son pick the colors and design as a way for him to get involved on the more complicated builds. When he describes his vision to me I think, “there’s no way that’s going to look good.” But it always does.

That's a beautiful Conquest, very nice work.
I'm a slave to the card art, on the first build. If I build a second one, then I go with something more creative.
SecondRow, I used to let my boys pick the colors for their rockets. Sometimes it looked good, other times we ended up with color combinations that would have given Dr. Suess a headache.

Thank you for the kind words guys! It was a fun build really. Neil, I do have some decals left over! I ended up giving them to my buddy Bruce though. I think I will try and get that nose cone painted a different color this weekend though. At any rate, I cant wait to launch it. Going with a D12-3 but i bet a nice, soft F12 would be fun if it stays pointing straight up during the boost phase! I will let you all know how it goes!
Andrew

I know this thread is "kind of over".....and there is not much more to say. But at long last I had a good day to launch this rocket for the first time this weekend. It was a tad breezy (~8mph)....I thought...for this rocket. I still decided to launch and put the rod a little with the wind so it would weather-cock (into the wind) as it left the rod to go straight up. I do this almost all the time with other rockets with near 100% success (as I dislike "cruise missile" flights). I put in a D12-3 and thought this would not go to far.....big draggy rocket in somewhat windy conditions. Well....it went alright...straight where I pointed it and boy did it go higher than I planned. Even with the breeze it did not roll, pitch or wiggle....or do anything but go straight and smooth as a laser beam. Deployment was perfect and I got it back without a scratch. In light of the windy day, I did not pull out my E15-W that I thought to do as well. The D12 was plenty for that day.

ALL this to say that if any of you have any interest in getting this kit, I would totally recommend it. It truly launches and coasts like a rocket and does very well. I was pleasantly surprised on how well it boosted and coasted...even in the wind. I am glad I have another one in my box should this one meet an untimely end! Next flight is an E12 or E15. I do plan to launch this rocket often! I am also sorry I do not have any pad shots or video. It was a last minute launch day and I did not have my camera nor took photos....sorry!! The next time I launch it I will get video/photos. Thanks again to Estes for a great kit.

Thanks
Andrew

So at this point I simply brush it on the entire rocket. NOT to worry about the brush marks....it dries down so tight and sands so easily, those go away in no time and with no real effort. I also do two coats on the balsa. The first coat soaks in so fast and deep it almost disappears. What you see below is two coats on the balsa.

View attachment 378574

View attachment 378575

BSNW:

Awesome build you have there.. She is a Beauty and Love your thread on the building of her... Keep up the Great work and hope to hear how she flies when it comes to that day...

Victor

BSNW:

Awesome build you have there.. She is a Beauty and Love your thread on the building of her... Keep up the Great work and hope to hear how she flies when it comes to that day...

Victor

Thanks Victor-
As you see in post #65 I did launch it. It really did well. I have flown it a number of time since then and it is a solid performer. One thing that happened was the wing tips did end up breaking off on a rough landing. I knew this would happen eventually. I cleaned up (and touched up with paint) the edges on the wings and it looks pretty good. I am going to leave it as-is and launch it that way. My wife said the kit actually looked better without the tips on it...I will go with that! Anyway...if you can get your hand on this kit...I would HIGHLY recommend it. Estes did a great job on it!
Andrew

you are an amazing craftsman, thank you for spending so much time showing us how the pros do it!
Lordy! thanks for the kind comment!

I would not call myself a craftsman nor a pro. All it takes is a lot of practice and I believe anyone can do it. Also remember there are many ways to do things and different products out there that work great. Create your own style and see what works.

I gave that rocket away after launching it a bunch of times. I hope it is still flying somewhere. After seeing it again, I may build one more!! (my last conquest kit in the kit pile!).

Have a good day.
Andrew

Back