Estes Conquest Build and Musings

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by BSNW, Mar 18, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Apr 30, 2019 #61

SecondRow

SecondRow

SecondRow

That looks awesome! I really like the black wingtips and the orange on the intake interiors.

Except for scale models, I’ll usually deviate from the card art too. It adds a little something that becomes your own. I usually let my son pick the colors and design as a way for him to get involved on the more complicated builds. When he describes his vision to me I think, “there’s no way that’s going to look good.” But it always does.

2. May 2, 2019 #62

MALBAR 70

MALBAR 70

MALBAR 70

That's a beautiful Conquest, very nice work.
    I'm a slave to the card art, on the first build. If I build a second one, then I go with something more creative.
    SecondRow, I used to let my boys pick the colors for their rockets. Sometimes it looked good, other times we ended up with color combinations that would have given Dr. Suess a headache.

3. May 2, 2019 #63

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Restless builder TRF Supporter

Fantastic work. Great use of Interceptor decals! From the look of it you should still have most of them left over. :)

4. May 3, 2019 #64

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

Thank you for the kind words guys! It was a fun build really. Neil, I do have some decals left over! I ended up giving them to my buddy Bruce though. I think I will try and get that nose cone painted a different color this weekend though. At any rate, I cant wait to launch it. Going with a D12-3 but i bet a nice, soft F12 would be fun if it stays pointing straight up during the boost phase! I will let you all know how it goes!
    Andrew

5. Jul 1, 2019 #65

BSNW

BSNW

BSNW

I know this thread is "kind of over".....and there is not much more to say. But at long last I had a good day to launch this rocket for the first time this weekend. It was a tad breezy (~8mph)....I thought...for this rocket. I still decided to launch and put the rod a little with the wind so it would weather-cock (into the wind) as it left the rod to go straight up. I do this almost all the time with other rockets with near 100% success (as I dislike "cruise missile" flights). I put in a D12-3 and thought this would not go to far.....big draggy rocket in somewhat windy conditions. Well....it went alright...straight where I pointed it and boy did it go higher than I planned. Even with the breeze it did not roll, pitch or wiggle....or do anything but go straight and smooth as a laser beam. Deployment was perfect and I got it back without a scratch. In light of the windy day, I did not pull out my E15-W that I thought to do as well. The D12 was plenty for that day.

ALL this to say that if any of you have any interest in getting this kit, I would totally recommend it. It truly launches and coasts like a rocket and does very well. I was pleasantly surprised on how well it boosted and coasted...even in the wind. I am glad I have another one in my box should this one meet an untimely end! Next flight is an E12 or E15. I do plan to launch this rocket often! I am also sorry I do not have any pad shots or video. It was a last minute launch day and I did not have my camera nor took photos....sorry!! The next time I launch it I will get video/photos. Thanks again to Estes for a great kit.

Thanks
    Andrew