Estes Command Control #2234 launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone using one of these? I've used mine since 1994 or so! Would love to find a spare. Lots of amps and 14.4 volts! No problem at all with the new Estes igniters!IMG_0195.jpg

I got one from another forum member a couple of years ago.
Only way to get it from me is by prying it from my cold dead hands.
Replacement batteries are on Ebay. Nimh instead of Nicad technology.
Switchable from 7.2 to 14.4 v.
Plenty of power, and the batteries hold their charge a long time.

Yes!! I'm using Nimh batteries too with a smart charger I picked up from Tower Hobbies...both the batteries and charger! I use the 14.4 volts setting for everything...fries those wimpy Estes igniters!😯

Do you have to remove the batteries to charge them or does your charger connect to the charging port on the controller?
I have to remove mine, just a slight inconvenience.

The charger I have is really good...it gives a readout of battery status and has indicator lights of charging progress. I usually remove the batteries for charging. I so seldom have to recharge my new batteries that I've forgotten whether there are connectors to leave them in. I'll look tonight and send a picture of it. When the original nicads died I bought the nimhs and charger together from Tower Hobbies.

I have one in my array of “classic” GSE that gets trotted out at least once a year for our ”classic model”-themed club launch. I fitted it with 2s LiPoly packs, which its internal electronics seems to tolerate, even though the resultant voltages are a little higher than the nickel-based batteries it was designed for.

I don’t use it nearly as often as I probably should, but my go-to controller when I just go flying is the PSII controller, which is sort of a descendant of this one. But sometimes, just for grins, I fly off of an early-version Electro-Launch....as shown in my avatar picture.

I believe I might have one of the prototype Command Controllers in my collection.

I still have a boxed Command Controller AND the later North Coast Rocketry by Estes version of that same controller.
The NCRBE version was different because it only had microclips for a single motor unlike the cluster motor capability of the original version.

PS: Mine are not for sale.;)

I've used a huge variety of contollers but my experience at the internats totally convinced me that the CC is the most powerful, reliable out there. NiMH RC car batteries have truly huge capacities now (5000+ mah). Two 7.2v batteries in this controller give you all the power you can possibly need. Great for both large clusters and composite igniters.

I've made some modifications to my Command Contoller to make it more convenient and hardier.

1st, I permanently attached the safety key with a piece of thick kevlar (I got tired of losing them). Simple hole through the case, knot on the inside end. I then superglued the little cover in place because I never put igniters in there and I was tired of it popping off.

Second, I bought a nice elastic/velcro band to hold the cables on the yellow holder. Perfect size and cheap on Amazon (Zeltauto elastic hook and loop cable..).

Third, I've tried several chargers and the one shown is by far the best. Fast, and the green "You're Done" light actually works. I modified a male Tamiya connector to use a 10X 2.5mm/5.5mm male DC power plug so I don't have to take the batteries out each time to charge them. One of the great things about the Command Controller is that it includes two charging ports on the back that allow you to do what I did. You just need the propper DC power plugs.

Final thing I did was to buy a Seahorse SE300 Waterproof Case from Fuerte Cases. I actually had a Command Controller case crack coming back from WSMC. The Seahorse case in the photos was cheap but shipping expensive. But I really like that I now have a very transportable unbreakable case for the controller and charger.

Hope these modifications help some of you.

Steve

IMG_1178.jpg
IMG_1179.jpgIMG_1182.jpgIMG_1183.jpgIMG_1175.jpgIMG_1177.jpgIMG_1172.jpgIMG_1171.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Gus that's a good solution to secure the safety key. I just keep mine in that igniter pocket. I also use a Velcro straps to secure the cables but I run mine perpendicular to the way yours is. The strap remains secure under the wire spool in use. This is what I charge the batteries with.IMG_0196.jpg

Are you looking to sell it or trade your power plex , The Tank? i am
Interested if so

Last edited:
I bring this along to our Low Power launches as a backup, in case my relay system has a problem, though haven't needed it for that purpose yet. Just use a single battery, since it's only uses to fly single BP motors. I like the charger adapter, I need to take the back off to charge mine. The safety key safety string is a good idea too, I'll definitely add that to mine. Used to have a Power-Plex pad, and while it looked cool, I didn't care for it, so light-weight it needed to be staked down for mid-power models, and the cords to hold the legs together were kind of a pain - I prefer my homemade Tilt-A-Pad upscales, no strings or stakes required. IIRC, I traded my Power-Plex for some B14 motors.

It it superior to the newer 2240 Pro Series Command Control Launch Controller? If so, in what way?

I bought one on a clearance at a local Hobbytown many, many years ago. It is the North Coast Rocketry model.
Got it cause it looked cool. Never used it and got out of the hobby for a while.
When I got back in it. I found that i still had this and it was never used.
I went to local hobbytown and they hooked me up with two RC batteries I think they are LiPo but really not sure in battery type, got what the RC guy said were best. and a nice charger.
I started using it last year and I love it. Best controller I own.
Sure glad I squirreled it away, and glad i found it.
No it is not for sale.

Last edited:
Do a search on amazon for 7.2 volt rc battery. Lots of choices, lots of chargers.

I have a chance to buy the command controller for $55.00 brand new never used. Dose anyone know if that’s a good buy? And dose anyone know if it has two mini clips on the wire or four?

Sounds like a deal. Mine has one clip on one lead and two on the other.
Check out Ebay for the batteries and charger.

Last edited:
I know the Pro Series has two battery doors on the front and two plug in ports in the front for a charger. This one I don’t know where the batteries go and it looks like the charger plugs in the back but it does take two 7.2 volt.

Back