Estes Cold Propellant Rockets?!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of cold power kits for sale if anyone is interested.
Yankee 5 convertible
Shrike

Back in my early days of model rocketry I had an Estes Yankee 5 Cold Power Convertable. It was a kick to fly. Of course, the warmer the outside temperature, the higher it flew. Wish I still had it.
A couple of club members had the cold-power drag racers, which were also a lot of fun.

Mine flies to date:

Yankee_5_CP.jpg

I'm trying to recall...did Centuri ever make cold power rockets back in the day? In my gang of neighborhood toughs, you had to be either an Estes flyer or a Centuri flyer. Peer pressure wouldn't allow you to be in Switzerland. My friends and I were strictly Team Centuri, yet, I recall vividly flying a lot of cold power rockets one summer in East Tennessee.

It was only years later that I finally began to fly Estes stuff and learned they had some sweet designs too. To this day, I look at Lee Piester like he was Stan Lee. An icon of a world gone away. Part of a great childhood and a boy's adventures.

I'm trying to find the nose cone profile for the Valkyrie 2, balsa version. I can't find mine.

I see some good pics on JimZ, but not a perfect profile. Anyone have further info?

Back in my early days of model rocketry I had an Estes Yankee 5 Cold Power Convertable. It was a kick to fly. Of course, the warmer the outside temperature, the higher it flew. Wish I still had it.
A couple of club members had the cold-power drag racers, which were also a lot of fun.
Can you remember did it come with the cold power motor? Did Estes sell kits with and without the cold power motor?

I'm trying to find the nose cone profile for the Valkyrie 2, balsa version. I can't find mine.

I see some good pics on JimZ, but not a perfect profile. Anyone have further info?
I have one...I think. Remind me later this evening and I'll send pics

Just found this pic:
Estes_Yankee_T-Shirt.jpg
Is this the motor for the Yankee 5? I'm assuming all the conversion kits used the same size diameter?

Attachments

• 20220428_150835.jpg
    20220428_150835.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220428_150744.jpg
    20220428_150744.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 17

I thinking mine is not the Val 2 but I think they all used the same nose cone.
Erockets has those nose cones.

Attachments

• 20220428_151413.jpg
    20220428_151413.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220428_151400.jpg
    20220428_151400.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220428_151349.jpg
    20220428_151349.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220428_151338.jpg
    20220428_151338.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220428_151327.jpg
    20220428_151327.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220428_151033.jpg
    20220428_151033.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 13

That's the longer motor, used in the Valkyrie 2. The standard Valkyrie used the short motor.

Mine has the aluminum payload section, too. It made me feel like I had a real rocket! The slow liftoff was enchanting.

Thanks much for the pics, the second one in particular should be just what I need.

BTW, that launcher thingy with a cable is for a Coldpower, not the Valkyrie. It latches onto the flange on the nozzle. The Valkyrie used a metal plug with an o-ring, you either pulled a pin out to release the plug or you used some special wire and touched the plug wires to a 6V battery which melted the wire and released the plug.

That's the longer motor, used in the Valkyrie 2. The standard Valkyrie used the short motor.

Mine has the aluminum payload section, too. It made me feel like I had a real rocket! The slow liftoff was enchanting.

Thanks much for the pics, the second one in particular should be just what I need.
At one point recently I had all of the motors including extra payload section with a styrofoam nose cone which was strange all still sealed in original Vashon Factory Packaging. I still have a separator sealed in vashon Packaging.

It's strange I had no idea that used styrofoam Parts back then

The original Vashon kits circa 1968 had balsa nose cones, they went to foam about two years later... right before Estes acquired them.

Mine is in an Estes full color box, but it's a Vashon rocket with balsa cone, aluminum payload and mylar parachute.

This one was ordered by the local hobby shop in '73 or so.

View attachment 516364
That is really cool. Never seen one in such nice condition. Would you be willing to send me scans of the fins and instructions?

That is really cool. Never seen one in such nice condition. Would you be willing to send me scans of the fins and instructions?

I think what's in the picture is all I have left, but I'll be happy to scan the remaining fin stock this weekend. There is a thread here documenting everything that came in this exact version. I'll find it and post a link later.

I think what's in the picture is all I have left, but I'll be happy to scan the remaining fin stock this weekend. There is a thread here documenting everything that came in this exact version. I'll find it and post a link later.
Thank you. I have found the instructions.

Back