Estes "Classic Series" Satellite Interceptor gripe...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrent

Reaction score
Maybe JumpJet (John) can answer this one...

Why did Estes re-release this kit with a balsa nose and no tailcone? I believe PNC-55BB is still a part that Estes makes as it is used on the Crossfire which is a current kit.

Also, from the 1978 catalog picture, it appears that the original decals were a deeper red...

I know economics has to play a role, but please, please, please don't change the classics! At least not the outward appearance...

Thanks and sorry for the gripe,
Don

P.S. Just noticed this also, that one of the promo pictures on the Estes website shows the model with a tailcone! My kit did not have one and the kit panel shows it with no tailcone.

Last edited:
Quite honestly, I think the only folks who care are the old heads who had one.

If you go here:

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=6567

You'll see the old kit and new kit side by side.

The reds look the same, the new decals are sharper (looks like they had to rebuild the sheet because the font is different), and the fin layout is significantly better (no 'sharing' of cut lines).

New rocketeers don't care about a tailcone. Old rocketeers have enough skills to make a tailcone out of cardstock.

Frankly, it's a great kit in that it's inexpensive, it looks good, and it requires some skill to assemble. It's a great '3rd kit', and if Estes can keep it inexpensive by leaving out the tailcone, good on 'em!

FC

Taking back my thread...

I'll concede after looking at the side by side that I was wrong about the decal color. It appears to be the same. But it does look darker in the catalog.

As for the tail cone, if they had stopped making the part, then fine; I could understand not investing in a new mould. In that case, I would be perfectly happy to make my own... However, since Estes still manufactures PNC-50BB, I would have prefered the original part even if it meant a $3 increase in price.

My opinion.
Don

Last edited:
Sorry about the thread hijack. Back on track I am.

Well, I guess the question becomes who are they marketing the Sat Interceptor for...us guys with income to spare, or those folks who may be buying their second or third model (like kids) who don't have a lot of income.

Also, if the Sat Interceptor is below 20.00 but the cost of the plastic tailcone and nose would put it above, that may be a factor. Realistically, it's only 3 bucks, but psychologically, 1X.XX looks better than 2X.XX.

I'm just guessing really...my assumption is that this is a low end kit, so they are shaving everywhere they can.

FC

Well, I guess the question becomes who are they marketing the Sat Interceptor for...us guys with income to spare, or those folks who may be buying their second or third model (like kids) who don't have a lot of income.

Also, if the Sat Interceptor is below 20.00 but the cost of the plastic tailcone and nose would put it above, that may be a factor. Realistically, it's only 3 bucks, but psychologically, 1X.XX looks better than 2X.XX.

I'm just guessing really...my assumption is that this is a low end kit, so they are shaving everywhere they can.

FC

What do you mean as a low end kit...?

I would assume the "Classic Series" to aimed at us BARs.

And don't get me wrong, I'm really not trying to be too hard on Estes here. In fact I LOVE what they're doing now with kits like the QCC Explorer, the new midpower line that's coming soon, and all the classic re-releases. I think they have definitly got the ship turned around and headed in the right direction again. I'm just giving my feedback.

And I suppose in this case if I want the original part I can just call Christine and ask for it...which I plan to do.

In fact I LOVE what they're doing now with kits like the QCC Explorer, the new midpower line that's coming soon, and all the classic re-releases. I think they have definitly got the ship turned around and headed in the right direction again.

I agree! I look at an old Estes catalog I found (2003 I think) and I just cringe...a hockey puck? Really?

FC

I agree! I look at an old Estes catalog I found (2003 I think) and I just cringe...a hockey puck? Really?

FC

Yep, that and including a few junky RC airplanes. In fact, a few of them had to be recalled due to the lipo batteries exploding.:wink:

Estes was more of a toy company back then. Being bought by Hobbico was the best thing that could've happened to them.

Ah yes ,the "hockey puck" ,that was in the 2001 catalog.They did have their ups & downs trying to lure new customers to their product lines ,and it seems they tries almost anything.
But indeed ,they are on the right track now.Wish they would bring back a few of the great oldies though ,you know the ones ;)

I built the Sat. Interceptor and loved it.I did not realize it had a tail cone until I built the K&S 2.6" BT upscale.But as mentioned ,easy enough to make ,and if I had known ,I would have slapped one on my Estes kit.

Paul T

Back