Estes Cineroc Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this old Cineroc camera that is broken. Other than the piece you see, the rest of the camera is in great shape. Looks like it broke and someone tried to glue it back together once before. Any ideas on how to fix it? I also have new un opened film to go with it. One more thing, how do you replace the old rubber band?

Thank you

Attachments

• Camera 1.jpg
    Camera 1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • camera 4.jpg
    camera 4.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 0
In thinking about how I'd try to repair it... If I can position the parts back into an original alignment, I'd glue them back together. Then reinforce them using scrap plastic, or wood, from the drive train side (not the film cartridge side).

Replacing the rubber band shouldn't be too hard... Though you do want to be careful, that plastic is over 50 years old. Gently pull the pin holding it in place out, then swap your rubber band, and push the pin back into place.

Here's a link to the manual...
https://www.flickr.com/.../94793.../albums/72157640261042925
If you can't extract the pin, you might be able to carefully cut out the side w/o the gears (leaving the plastic that the pin is mounted to attached) with a razor saw. Then slide in your replacement rubber band (make sure not to touch it with your bare fingers (preventing lubrication)), and glue in pieces of scrap plastic to restore the mounting point's integrity.
I've marked the cuts in yellow.

1671107251334.png

Perfect, I was able to replace the rubber band with little effort. Try to find a match for the black plastic so I can add the gussets and figure out if I want to use epoxy or CA. The last part will be replacing the yellow non elastic tape.

Perfect, I was able to replace the rubber band with little effort. Try to find a match for the black plastic so I can add the gussets and figure out if I want to use epoxy or CA. The last part will be replacing the yellow non elastic tape.
What method did you end up with to get the rubber band in place?

Black plastic? Old plastic model sprues are good for that.

As far as I can tell, it's just yellow electrical tape.

I'd suggest solvent welding the plastic rather than epoxy or CA, especially if the parts fit back together at the site of the break cleanly. Back in the cineroc days, I think polystyrene was use a lot and this solvent welds really well. If not solvent welded, then I'd go with CA. I think epoxy would be too thick/goopy to make a clean repair on a break like that.

I used plastic CA glue and she is pretty strong. I replaced the rubber band with a little bending and luck of the plastic piece. I was able to get the motor running but sounds like it needs some lubrication. Any ideas or the lube or just let it be?

Edit/Delete Message

If you oil it, you have to be VERY precise and just use a drop. I'd use a toothpick to apply just a dot on the axle for the larger counter gear (wherever it is supported). I'd look for something silicone based, rather than petroleum based. Super Lube is a brand that makes a synthetic silicone based grease we use for assembling reloadable motors, and I've seen (in the past) a small needle application oiler under the same brand label. (just googled it and found it on Amazon: LINK)

You don't have to use that exact one, but I'd stay away from a petroleum based lube.

Nice job on the repair!! Are you actually going to try to run real film through it and get it processed?

If you oil it, you have to be VERY precise and just use a drop. I'd use a toothpick to apply just a dot on the axle for the larger counter gear (wherever it is supported). I'd look for something silicone based, rather than petroleum based. Super Lube is a brand that makes a synthetic silicone based grease we use for assembling reloadable motors, and I've seen (in the past) a small needle application oiler under the same brand label. (just googled it and found it on Amazon: LINK)

You don't have to use that exact one, but I'd stay away from a petroleum based lube.

Nice job on the repair!! Are you actually going to try to run real film through it and get it processed?
Try a dry teflon lube instead of regular oils.

Back