Estes Chrome Domes #2181

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of years back I picked up a few forgotten rocket collections when I returned to the hobby. One of those collections contained a number of these E2X style plastic fin rockets. While plastic fins are not normally my focus, they do make for a quick fun restoration in between larger builds.

Late last year I pulled this one from the bottomless box of forgotten rockets to see what could be done with it. The rocket looked like it had only flown a couple of time and the only real damage was a small chip off one fin. I decided to replace the aging shock cord and found that the entire rocket pulled apart easily. It looks like someone used model cement to put it together.

I did a quick restoration using Kevlar and elastic for the shock cord, Added and actual motor tube inside the fin can and reassembled using CA. Finally got a first flight after rebuild earlier this week. Flew on a C6-3 but the ejection was really early. Could have easily used the C6-7.

CHROME DOMES 1 FIRST FLIGHT 05232022.jpgCHROME DOMES 2 FIRST FLIGHT 05232022.jpgCHROME DOMES 4 FIRST FLIGHT 05232022.jpg

Last edited:
My grandson HAD to build a Chrome Dome when he found out that it was synonymous with being bald.
That's why is he is smiling at me so big...

IMG_3280_Small.jpg

The Rocket flew great by the way.

Back