Estes C5-3 ???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashinj

Reaction score
:D Was in Hobby Lobby today and they are having their 1/2 off sale, they didn't have much of a selection. I did notice one pack of motors that were C5-3's. These must be old or something huh? They also had Comet written on the top part of the package. Can someone give me some high lights on this , or am I having a pre-senior moment? I don't remember C5-3's.

Crashin J

C5-3's (now discontinued) are Core Burning motors that produce a high spike of thrust (22N, C6's have a peak thrust of 14N)... but they have such a low sustainer due to the large nozzle throat, that they average 5 newtons of thrust. They have close to a 2 second burn, and a total impulse around 9.1 (C6 has 8.8 n/s).

Should I go back on Monday and grab them? Are they worth anything? Just wondering.

CrashinJ

YES!!! They are the most rescent "A10's" of the 18mm motors, designed for those heavier birds. I have 2 in my range box... hate to use em though... so hard to find around here... another motor Estes should bring back (along with the A10-0T :mad: ).

Jim, do you agree?

don't get *me* into this fray, i'll start waxing nostalgic about B14's... LOL

yea, the C5 was a good motor and i LOVE A10-0's

I just knew you'd mention the B14 :). I decided to let you mention that, because they were long gone when I entered the hobby... although I do remember the B8-5... I once heard that the B8 and B14 were the same thing, I'm not sure, because I never seen a thrust curve (from NAR) of the B14 (I never go by Estes's curves). Jim, can you enlighten us with your years of wisdom? :)

I have 2 B14-0's and one B14-7!

What's the first bid gentlemen?

sandman

The B14's were considerably hotter than the B8's. They aren't the same motor. I have a couple dozen B14's, many still in the blue tubes. great motor. I even still pop one off now and then.

probably the best booster motor ever made

Originally posted by n3tjm
another motor Estes should bring back (along with the A10-0T :mad: ).

Cast my vote for a return of the A10-0T. I have a Midget clone that may never fly again.. :(

graylensman,

I have a bunch of A10-0's and nothing to fly 'em in...maybe we could deal.

sandman

I miss the A8-0. They were great for small fields when flying
my Centuri Stiletto. A8-0 to an A8-5.

hey sand...your really trying to get rid of some motors huh? ;)

Sounds like some of those motors would be perfect for the Deuce

Well, it will have to be a down scale version (jetra2 is building one) to run on 13mm motors

I got them on Ebay...they came with a bunch of other stuff.

sandman

OUCH!

Even scaled down, don't use A10-0T's in the Deuce... ...no ejection charge!

I use A10-3T's in my 13mm Deuce

jim

I was talking about C5's and B14's...if you put the -0 in...probably get a good zipper

I have only one 1980's pack of B14's... they were in the bottom of a used starter kit that I picked up recently.... I also have a few B3s from 1967. They are the old non metric heavy lift motor... similar to a B-14, but not quite. Strange nozzle and paper ejection charge cap!!

I have also made a run on A10-0s. I have about 60 of them... I LOVE 2 stage 13mm rockets!!

:) I got them! Couldn't get TRF to come up yesterday! Brand new in the package for $4.44. I'll get a picture later and post it. My son who is in the Air Force is home visiting, right now he is working on my puter and was nice enough to let me use it a few minutes, so got to go. hehe:D So like are these things worth anything?

CrashinJ

Hov much you guys asking for A10-0T motors? I scratch built a 13mm 2-stage and then I couldn't find any boosters. I'd really like to fly the little thing two-stage.

Peace:cool:

Mike

Sandman... how much are you asking for them?

It's hard to believe that the A10-0T was discontinued - just look at all the interest we've got right here!

I didnt even realize they were discontinued...I think The Spare Time Shop has some They did last time I checked...I will have to look the next time I am there.

They do sound like cool motors though (I have never used them)

Maybe all this interest is being shown because we can't have them anymore. I know I am always interested in something when I cant have it :D :D

graylensman

Meet me at NARAM and we can trade something for the A10-0's

sandman

a lot of interest, yes, but that's all relative...

the amount of interest shown here probably represents 1/100 of a percent of the interest needed to bring about a new motor or bringing an old one back.

Last time I was into rockets the B14 was my favorite. That was 1970 somthing I think, memory isn't very good.

yep, anybody who's been into rocketry more than, oh, 25-30 years lists the B14 as their all time favorite motor!

Speaking of A10-0's I just went to my hobby shop and picked up a pack. They had another one but I dont have anything to fly them in so I had no need for two packs.

If anyone here from CMASS wants them...I could pick them up for ya

Back