Estes C5-3 motors available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OC-Patrick

Reaction score
Got this e-mail from Estes, as many of you are probably receiving now:

New Product Super C

Not yet available from AC Supply. I think I still have a few "Super C" motors when they were produced by Centuri.

The Estes Super C is back! Reintroducing the Estes C5-3 engine. With a 50% increase in maximum thrust over a standard C engine, you'll have the punch you need to propel those heavier rockets off the pad. The Super C is a great choice for larger birds and for payload rockets, like competition egg-lofters, that need that extra push.​

• Total Impulse: 10.00 N-sec
• Time Delay: 3 Seconds
• Estimated Max Lift Weight: 8.0 oz (227g)
• Max Thrust: 20.40 Newtons (4.6 lbs)
• Thrust Duration: 1.85 Seconds​

Who is ordering today?

This is cool, but begs a question: if the "new" C5 has an average thrust of 5.3N, should't the "old" C6 with its average thrust of 4.7N been called C4 or C5?
https://www.thrustcurve.org/motorsearch.jsp?id=21
I don't mind doing a little mental back flip with Estes C5 being all around more powerful than its C6.
But what's the history behind C6's "stretch" naming designation?
Well, the A8 is horribly misnamed as well. I think at this point some of these designations should just be accepted as historical.

I think I saw the story somewhere but I can't recall what it was.

A10 motors also have a historical artifact in their designation.
It is now NAR S&T policy that new motor certifications correctly state their correct average thrust.

John

Well, the A8 is horribly misnamed as well. I think at this point some of these designations should just be accepted as historical.

I think I saw the story somewhere but I can't recall what it was.

Basically, the Estes designations were grandfathered in. In the case of the A8, it was the A.8 before the conversion to SI and was allowed to keep, sort of, the designation.

Happy to see this...I had a package from Estes come in yesterday and noticed the C5-3s in the catalogue. I have a bunch in my stash and was bummed that they were no longer certified. Guess I can use them now at the next launch I get to.

This is cool, but begs a question: if the "new" C5 has an average thrust of 5.3N, should't the "old" C6, with its average thrust of 4.7N, had been called C4 or C5?
View attachment 418583

I don't mind doing a little mental back flip with Estes C5 being all around more powerful than C6.
But what's the history behind C6's "stretch" naming designation?
This is why I think it would make sense for Estes to simply replace both the C6-0 and the C6-3 with a C5-0 and the C5-3. They could keep the C6-5 and C6-7, because there might not be enough space left in the engine casing for those longer delay grains for a C5. But it would seem to me that any situation where a c6-0 or C6-3 was called for, could be handled just as well, if not better by a C5-0 or C5-3.

Great. but I can't find the new motor certification data sheet. Can someone post a link?

Looks like they've already sold out! Must be quite a bit of demand. Now, if we could only convince them to make a C5-0, booster.

Great. but I can't find the new motor certification data sheet. Can someone post a link?

https://www.thrustcurve.org/simfilesearch.jsp?id=876
So... how do we add that new motor to Open Rocket form simulations?

Download .rse file from the link above.
Copy it to whatever directory you had selected for storing .rse files within Open Rocket.

In my case, I keep them all in C:\Rockets\Engine Curves\
Yours is probably different. Check by going to Edit -> Preferences -> General tab

Last edited:
Max weight of 227g!! Wow. Thats double the C6.

Will be ordering as soon as they are available in Canada

Copy it to whatever directory you had selected for storing .rse files within Open Rocket.

Yours is probably different. Check by going to Edit -> Preferences -> General tab
That is not what I asked for. I need a link for the NAR S&T motor test and certification data sheet, for the NEW C5 motor, signed by the S&T committee Chairman.

Looks like they've already sold out! Must be quite a bit of demand. Now, if we could only convince them to make a C5-0, booster.
Yeah, I think that should take up LESS space than the 3 second delay, so should be do-able.

I found the MIRV to be horribly underpowered on the C6-0

I mean, single 18mm booster with three sustainers, draggy profile, 134 grams on this site, not sure if that is with or without motors
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/mirv-1.htm
I can’t find the MIRV on the Estes site. (OOP?) Superb idea for a rocket, just didn’t bother to put a 24mm Mount, nor could it be modified for such. Thing would actually probably be fly-able with a C5-0.

The new cert data will be up shortly. Whether it's the same as the 1995 version posted above by Aaron Head remains to be seen, but it should be pretty close. And yes, once it is, the old ones we may have on hand are again usable at NAR launches.

When the Estes web store says "out of stock" it only means that they don't have any in the small area from which they fill mail orders. Those of us who got to take the NARAM-60 tour know what that looks like. They will just need to bring some more over from the main area where motors are stored. They are again showing as "in stock" as I type this.

AC Supply, as of yesterday, has not seen them yet. Soon, I hope.

Excellent, thank you. Now just need the importers to bring them to Oz...

Back