Estes Bullpup nose weight...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsexton

Reaction score
The Estes Bullpup comes with 2 "squares" of clay for nose weight. The list/diagram of components shows one square but the instructions say use all of the clay so...

Do you use both pieces of clay or just one?

I used both. You'll be pleased with that bird , IIRC she whistles a tiny bit on a C6! And she flys as strait as a dye!

I had an old kit and it came with one square of clay but it was a thicker piece than the squares that come with the newer kits.

So the two squares in the newer kits probably is the same as the one square in the older kits but the diagram wasn't updated.

Use both squares.

so i used more than the two squares.
once the clay was packed in tightly, i put a few drops of CA glue to seal it up tight!

Originally posted by prowlerguy
Use both pieces, Bruce. Ben and I both did, and good flights resulted.
But you don't know where to mount the fins... ;)

And then again neither do I...:D

The Bullpup is one of the many models that Estes made and sold (and continues to sell) that were unstable right out of the box/bag. After enough people reported the problem, AND the folks at Estes realized that it really was not "consumer error", they took action to fix the problem by adding more nose weight.

A similar problem exists in the NAVY and MK-109 (RTF/kit) and they installed clay in the RTF and added clay to the MK-109 kit. Some MK-109 kits have the clay, but no instructions telling you why it is there or how and where to install it. They sometimes fly OK on A motors, but seldom fly stable on B or C motors.
The ARMY and Banshee models are also marginal and I strongly suggest adding clay.

NOW, for those 4 E2X type models listed above and any others with the same shock cord mount (plastic anchor sticking through a square hole in the body near the top with an external fairing) i have a suggestion: Use cotton Cable Cord (9 to 12 inches) as the shock cord anchor and then tie the shock cord to that. It will prevent the snapping/cutting effect - this plastic mount tends to cut the cord on the first or second flight. with the cable cord, it can last virtually forever. i hand out free cable cord to each modeler who has a failure at our club launches (and install it in 15 seconds).

https://home.earthlink.net/~mebowitz/safety.pdf
Originally posted by bsexton
The Estes Bullpup comes with 2 "squares" of clay for nose weight. The list/diagram of components shows one square but the instructions say use all of the clay so...

Do you use both pieces of clay or just one?

Back