Estes BT-80 Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomopbo

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me an Estes kit that uses a BT-80 and 3 fin configuration?
Thanks!

The only current models that meet that description that I'm aware of are the Fat Boy and the Executioner.

Previously produced was the Optima (although it *technically* had 6 fins, but three were mounted forward of the other three and on the same line, thus giving it the relative appearance of 3 finned rocket because they are all mounted 120 degrees from each other)

Thanks for the help! Saved me lot of time sifting through plans.:D

No problem... For your future reference, the EMRR site has an excellent database of rockets, both in production and out. I just looked through all the Estes kits for anything with a 2.6 inch diameter and looked at the picture to count the fins. Good reference for when you are looking for projects to make with those "extra" tubes!

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
No problem... For your future reference, the EMRR site has an excellent database of rockets, both in production and out. I just looked through all the Estes kits for anything with a 2.6 inch diameter and looked at the picture to count the fins. Good reference for when you are looking for projects to make with those "extra" tubes!

WW

Could you post the link? I can't find that on EMRR.........

I think the Estes "Broadsword" (a rekitted/relabeled Estes "Super Big Bertha") also fits your description? (maybe not, they may have been four-fins)

love my Executioner

its a great rocket

flys like a dream

The link for the EMRR Estes kit reviews is
https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/arcbuild/arcbuild.cgi?ven012&&MfgList . You can access it from the "Reviews" quick tab on the left, then "list by manufacturer" then "Estes Industries." I just scanned down the "specs" column and looked for 2.6 inch diameters (the size of a BT-80).

The amount of info in the EMRR archive is amazing! I've used it for every single kit I've ever built, or considered building (minus the Flis Kits Tres, because it doesn't have a review... yet!). It's also got a fairly extensive repository of hints and tips for all areas of rocket construction.

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
The link for the EMRR Estes kit reviews is
https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/arcbuild/arcbuild.cgi?ven012&&MfgList . You can access it from the "Reviews" quick tab on the left, then "list by manufacturer" then "Estes Industries." I just scanned down the "specs" column and looked for 2.6 inch diameters (the size of a BT-80).

The amount of info in the EMRR archive is amazing! I've used it for every single kit I've ever built, or considered building (minus the Flis Kits Tres, because it doesn't have a review... yet!). It's also got a fairly extensive repository of hints and tips for all areas of rocket construction.

WW

Ok, I'm with you now. I'm well aware of that part - I thought you were referring to another, more comprehensive list. I have an Estes Kit List spreadsheet that lists every kit ever made between 1961 and 2003 by kit number, including if YORP or JimZ have the plans or not, year manufactured, and other notes - but it does not include data such as "Exotic", "Scale", "Sport", etc., nor dimensions. (but I can look all that up on ninfinger really easy with the info I have!)

Yup! I wish I still had mine - that was a heckuva cool rocket! I think it was my first D powered bird, too! I distinctly remember taking it to my old school one day for show and tell - they thought it was really cool!

Jason

The BT 80 Silver Comet and V2 were very cool and eaily kit bashed. I wish I had a couple of each. I am trying to save the Silver Comet I have in the package in case we loose the current one.

I have a Silver Comet and the Silver Comet/V2 kitbash. Both are a couple of my favorites. The other day at my local hobby store I spied a Comet on the shelf for $20 bucks.....guess it's time to buy another...sorry guys...it's all mine.

Back