3D Printing Estes BNC-55AM Nose Cone 3D Model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have designed and added an upscaled nose cone of the BNC-55AM it to fit the LOC 2.6 inch diameter airframe tubing. I also took the fin decals and converted them to 3D to fit both the BT-55 stock version as well as the LOC 2.6 tubing.

I have designed and added an upscaled nose cone of the BNC-55AM it to fit the LOC 2.6 inch diameter airframe tubing. I also took the fin decals and converted them to 3D to fit both the BT-55 stock version as well as the LOC 2.6 tubing.
That should also fit the BMS T80H-34 as they are nearly identical dimensions iirc.

Looks great! Interesting that the ogive transition is different from the 55AM.

Would be interested in other tubing sizes, if you're ever totally bored with nothing better to do.
Its super easy to use a slicer program (I use Cura) to scale the nosecone up or down, I have done it frequently. Usually I can start a print wait for it to get about 1/8th inch tall then stop, pop the piece off the print surface,check the fit, and if it fits start the print over, if it doesn't fit...resize and do it again till it does.

Its super easy to use a slicer program (I use Cura) to scale the nosecone up or down, I have done it frequently. Usually I can start a print wait for it to get about 1/8th inch tall then stop, pop the piece off the print surface,check the fit, and if it fits start the print over, if it doesn't fit...resize and do it again till it does.

I have done that, but when different sizes of tubing use the same or nearly the same wall thickness, the shoulder needs to scale differently than the rest of the cone if you want to get a good match to both the ID and the OD.

I have done that, but when different sizes of tubing use the same or nearly the same wall thickness, the shoulder needs to scale differently than the rest of the cone if you want to get a good match to both the ID and the OD.
Very true, and I should have added that not everything scales correctly, sometimes you want a thinner wall and if its upscaled from a smaller part the wall will be much thicker (duh right :)) but generally on LPR sized stuff its close enough that a number of different techniques can be used to "make up the difference or slim it down a bit". Of course the print material can make post print adjustments difficult.

Back