Estes Blue Origin New Shepard (Builders Kit)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the QR code for the shipping label today but never got the email about the stability problem and sending it back. Checked the spam folder- nada.
Pfffffttt.
The email I got included a 30% off coupon for my troubles. Haven’t received the rocket yet since I included some motors with it.

It is a bummer, but it sounds like they are handling it in as good a way as possible. I imagine something just slipped through the cracks (i.e. the little things that aren't obvious, like leaving out clay as others have suggested) and hopefully will be resolved to everyone's satisfaction quickly.

Do these rockets make it to large retailers like Walmart or Hobby Lobby or is it direct order only?

Sandy.

Got my refund for the rocket. At the next NARAM, Estes needs an entire session on what happened because this will probably be the focus of many questions during their Q&A. They can also talk about the recent A10 Catos and C11 failed ejections.

Asked Estes customer service why I was sent an email saying the builders kit was available when it was showing out of stock on the website. Response was "we will get that resolved ASAP".
Sheesh.

Asked Estes customer service why I was sent an email saying the builders kit was available when it was showing out of stock on the website. Response was "we will get that resolved ASAP".
Sheesh.
Estes posted a notice about the improved BO builder’s kit on their company FB page including info on the quick sell-through over the weekend. The way Estes stocks their web store had been discussed before - IIRC a certain amount is loaded against the product page that doesn’t necessarily reflect the physical number of items on-hand in their warehouse. I would assume this is a hedge against charging a customer for an item Estes no longer has due to a lag in the online ordering software - those systems don’t always reflect a “real-time” stockage level.

Attachments

• 45A31B11-853B-4483-B36E-D27CE25B7826.png
    45A31B11-853B-4483-B36E-D27CE25B7826.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Estes posted a notice about the improved BO builder’s kit on their company FB page including info on the quick sell-through over the weekend. The way Estes stocks their web store had been discussed before - IIRC a certain amount is loaded against the product page that doesn’t necessarily reflect the physical number of items on-hand in their warehouse. I would assume this is a hedge against charging a customer for an item Estes no longer has due to a lag in the online ordering software - those systems don’t always reflect a “real-time” stockage level.
So this was available briefly? I checked as soon as I got the email.

Got my refund for the rocket. At the next NARAM, Estes needs an entire session on what happened because this will probably be the focus of many questions during their Q&A. They can also talk about the recent A10 Catos and C11 failed ejections.
Just saw this.... one of those C11 failed ejections did some serious violence to my Super Orbital Transport on its fourth flight. :(

Of course this is pretty much off topic for this thread.....

Just saw this.... one of those C11 failed ejections did some serious violence to my Super Orbital Transport on its fourth flight. :(
The nose cone of my 24mm ASP Corporal is still buried several inches down in the dirt at the park.
Tube and nose cone already replaced and repaired.
Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I don't think they'll send me a replacement until I send them the old one back. They probably wouldn't be happy if it's assembled and obviously used. :)
How are they gonna know you didn’t fly it before the warning? I would suspect they would replace it returned in any condition.

I am curious, doesn’t Estes do any beta testing on these things before selling them? I would think they would seek out some experienced flyers like you or @BEC or @kuririn and get feedback. Sort of like the 1/200 Saturn motor fiasco.

I am curious, doesn’t Estes do any beta testing on these things before selling them? I would think they would seek out some experienced flyers like you or @BEC or @kuririn and get feedback. Sort of like the 1/200 Saturn motor fiasco.

I'm sure they do a lot of testing before release, but as the French say, "Between the idea and the execution, 'La merde arrive'".

They do lots of testing.

I don't know if I'd be a good tester for something like this, as I tend to leave things pretty much as designed. I've a couple of dozen flights on the 1/200 RTF Saturn V and while I've had a couple of things not go entirely as planned, I managed to put the fin unit on correctly every time and never had any of the reported unstable flights. I haven't heard what the issue was with this New Shephard kit other than the bit about a new fin design a few posts up. It's hard for me to think something that was quite stable at 6000 feet MSL (which is where the local testing would have been done) but wouldn't be at sea level, but at the same time I can't imagine what else the concern would have been.

I actually have done two "proofread the instructions for us, please" builds for Estes - the SLV and the re-released Goblin. And of course the way to do that was to just build 'em (and fly 'em) while making notes as I went. But I haven't done anything like that in the last few years.

For the builders:
One pat of clay is supplied.
Be mindful of the fin wood grain when gluing, as the fin shape is almost symmetrical.
Side by side of the RTF next to the builders' kit.
1106220451[1].jpg

A jig is supplied on the balsa sheet for aligning the fins and tunnels.
1106220445[1].jpg

Fiddly bits Greebles.
1106220446[1].jpg
1106220450[1].jpg

Potential gotcha: In order for the feather decals to line up properly the first upper fiddly bit has to be aligned with the pre printed nose pattern. But the instructions show a side view of the placement. Very confusing, since everyone knows that a full frontal view is always better than a side view, right? ;)
Anyway, the RTF shows the proper placement of the first fiddly bit.
1106220447.jpg

Flight report whenever these darn winds die down.
Laters.

Could you use the RTF fin unit on the builder’s kit?

To use smaller scale size fins like the RTF

To use smaller scale size fins like the RTF
Remember, the RTF airframe is wider and shorter than the builders' version.
If you want to convert the builders kit to true scale then you would also have to shorten the BT-60 airframe.
Then check for stability.
Might be a good project.

How are they gonna know you didn’t fly it before the warning? I would suspect they would replace it returned in any condition.

I imagine at NARAM there will be questions like this. Will Estes address it head on or will they deflect? Doesn't matter to me one way or the other... I'm curious to know what happened. Meanwhile, I have the updated rocket assembled and ready to paint.

Here's my speculation. Blue Origin was mostly involved in the designing of their trademarked rocket and sent a draft design to Estes who then thought this was the final design. I've heard this happening before. Again, speculation but that's where I'd place my bet if I were a betting man.

Back