• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Estes Blue Bird Zero Info.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi again!

I've got someone who has one of the original BBZ, but he's out in a desert right now, and won't be back for a while. So, I'm looking to see if someone has the answer to this at hand.

I'm looking for the fin dimensions (measured please) of the Estes Blue Bird Zero. I don't know the fin thickness, nor the overall size/shape of the fins. JimZ's site appears to be the only one with a "fin template" but it looks like it was drawn from an assembled model. I'm hoping to score a scan of the fins (loose or sill in the balsa matrix they came in) with a ruler (or two).

I remember that Mike Dorffler said that the rocket was closely based on the DRM, but the part number of the balsa sheet doesn't match with the part numbers I've seen.

Thanks!
Jim

Hi Jim, I have both a finished BBZ and a clone in the bag so I can help you with those measurements and/or a scan if you like. Probably best through email for me, I'm at [email protected]. Hope I can help.

Thanks.

I'm still interested in the Estes BBZ fin dimensions. Commercially available clones may not be faithful to the original's dimensions (e.g. Semroc's Omega reproduction is a prime example).

Thanks.

I'm still interested in the Estes BBZ fin dimensions. Commercially available clones may not be faithful to the original's dimensions (e.g. Semroc's Omega reproduction is a prime example).

Makes two of us K'Tesh, I just built one not too long ago from a .rkt file and it loos just like the original, of course that doesn't mean its right, if you manage to get a good set of fin dimensions would you be willing to share in the form of a corrected OR file. Please?

Makes two of us K'Tesh, I just built one not too long ago from a .rkt file and it loos just like the original, of course that doesn't mean its right, if you manage to get a good set of fin dimensions would you be willing to share in the form of a corrected OR file. Please?

Before working on nearly all of my recent clone projects, I try to create a .ork file. You can count on me uploading the file in my thread.

Bump...

I'd prefer to get a scan of the fins (or a fin) with a ruler for scale. In or out of matrix, doesn't matter. If it is out of the matrix, ruler along the root edge is best. The fin patterns I've seen on JimZ are not adequate for my needs. Semroc's reproduction will be close (retro repros are not direct clones), but not close enough. I want canon.

I also will need the dimensions of the decals. I won't be going canon on those, but I'm sure someone will want them.

Last edited:
Measurements suitable for OR from a vintage genuine Estes built model: (X is along axis of rocket rearward from LE/tube intersection, Y radially outward perpendicular to tube axis). I have this because I did a 2X upscale a couple of years ago and made a .ork of the original. Sorry no measurements of the decal yet.

Main fins (must define as freeform shape):
LE/tube intersection: (0, 0)
Outer end of LE: (1.57, 2.75)
Outer end of TE: (3.375, 2.19)
TE/tube intersection (2.75, 0)

Forward fins (fields from regular fin dialog):
Root chord: 1.25"
Tip chord: 0.625"
Height: 1.00"
Sweep length: 0.625"

Measurements suitable for OR from a vintage genuine Estes built model: (X is along axis of rocket rearward from LE/tube intersection, Y radially outward perpendicular to tube axis). I have this because I did a 2X upscale a couple of years ago and made a .ork of the original. Sorry no measurements of the decal yet.

Main fins (must define as freeform shape):
LE/tube intersection: (0, 0)
Outer end of LE: (1.57, 2.75)
Outer end of TE: (3.375, 2.19)
TE/tube intersection (2.75, 0)

Forward fins (fields from regular fin dialog):
Root chord: 1.25"
Tip chord: 0.625"
Height: 1.00"
Sweep length: 0.625"

Thanks for the info...

One thing though the forward fins with the info you gave me, comes up as having a slanting trailing edge, all the images I can see in the plans seems to show it with a trailing edge set at 90 degrees from the root. BTW, in OR, you can take a trapezoidal fin, and convert it to a freeform fin to get the X,Y dimensions.

Oh, and you wouldn't happen to have the thickness?

Last edited:
Bought the kit... Got the fins scanned...

Semroc's fins have curved tips... Estes's don't.

It's 4am in the morning... I'm tired...

Back