Estes - Blue Bird Zero (#1335) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jFlds

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's our newly completed K&S 2x upscale of the adored BBZ!

Enjoy!

81" 2.64" dia 58oz dry weight 38MMT D/D

blue bird 054.jpg

Attachments

• blue bird 055.jpg
    blue bird 055.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 146
  • blue bird 052.jpg
    blue bird 052.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 149
  • blue bird 053.jpg
    blue bird 053.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 161
  • blue bird 050.jpg
    blue bird 050.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited by a moderator:
As is one of my bents. My Blue Bird Zero isn't blue. I decided I wanted a Red bird Zero so heres an actual Estes kit of a different color:)

When I downscaled it to T3 for micro maxx flying I did use the traditional paint scheme just for kicks.

MM 305lp04-sm_MM BlueBirdZero on Pad_10-21-06.jpg

My slight upscale of the BBZ. This was the rocket I always wanted as a kid but never seemed to have the $$$ in my pocket to pick it up.

I used BT-60 tubing and basswood for the fins. It scaled to 44.5 inches long. I put in a longer motor mount and a payload section. I called this the Blue Bird Zero ver1.1 as I had to play a little when it came to the decals. Found some art that I liked, cleaned them up a bit, and on they went. I also wanted to test the limits of my plotter and see what I could cut in a micro size. Sign guys will appreciate the details (& absurdity) of these decals as they are all cut vinyl.

It launched great on an E9-6 for its maiden flight this weekend with a nice recovery on a 24" chute. Tried to get photos of the launch but the camera man was a tad slow.

BBZ_1a.jpg

BBZ_1b.jpg

BBZ_1c.jpg

BBZ_1d.jpg

Beautiful job on the rockets guys. I always wanted this one too as a kid but didn't get the chance to get one. :(

here are some pictures. I really need to go over it with clear coat before she flies. The decals were spot on perfect thanks to mark at stickershock and the kit was a blast to build and looks great finally finished. It really bugs me how the camera makes the bottom of the rocket look soo grey, irl it has a white sheen to it that really pops when the sun shines on it... o well

post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• P4080293.jpg
    P4080293.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 117
  • P4080299.jpg
    P4080299.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 128
The Goonybird Zero. A great flier.

Post copied to gallery with permission

goonybirdzero.jpg

goonybirdzerolaunch.jpg

"In Flight" kit. My 3rd kit from this fine gentelman......beautiful quality parts. Only 1 fly in the ointment; the "Blue Bird Zero " decal disentegrated on contact with water. A bit destressing, but after a bit of consideration, I headed to "Michaels" and found some nice vinyl lettering. The more I use vinyl, the more I'm finding it superior to work with; more forgiving, easily respositioned, and much cheaper. honestly, yes, I love decals......better looking. But for less headache, it's vinyl in various forms

BlueBirdZero7-9-2011003.jpg

BlueBirdZero7-9-2011001.jpg

BlueBirdZero7-9-2011004.jpg

BlueBirdZero7-9-2011005.jpg

I finally got a couple out of my build queue. First is a K&S Rockets upscale (1.64" version) Blue Bird Zero with its traditional paint scheme. Nice quality components and I love the modular av-bay design. This one will be flown drogueless controlled by an RRC2 mini.

5998030234_76659df86f_b.jpg

Post copied and redacted with permission

Welcome to the Estes - Blue Bird Zero (#1335) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes - Blue Bird Zero (#1335) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Blue Bird Zero: #1335
Excelsior: Goonybird Zero:
InFlight: Blue Bird Zero: IF-K207
K&S Rockets: Blue Bird Zero (1.64"):
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works: Micro Blue Bird Zero: #305
Semroc: Blue Bird Zero: KV-45
Thrustline: Blue Bird Zero: TACL-023

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Blue Bird Zero (#1335) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Blue Bird Zero Also known as:

NUMBER: #1335

Introduced: 1980
Final Year: 1985
Designer: Mike Dorffler

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 39.75"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span: 2.7 oz
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Experimental sounding design over 3 feet tall. Easy to assemble with die cut balsa fins, plastic nose cone and scale-like kit decals. High performance flights and gentle recovery with 18" chute. (Estes 1980 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-blue%20bird%20zero%201335-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1980 Catalog
estes-blue%20bird%20zero%201335-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog
estes-blue%20bird%20zero%201335-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1983 Catalog
estes-blue%20bird%20zero%201335-1985%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1985 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-blue%20bird%20zero%201335-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
K&S Blue Bird Zero (1.64") Basic Information.

k_and_s.gif
K&S Rockets

MODEL NAME: Blue Bird Zero (1.64") Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x38mm
Recovery: Dual Deploy Parachute
Length: 81"
Diameter: 2.64"
Span:
Weight: 58 oz

Mfg. Description: 1.64" dia Blue Bird Zero Dual deployment (K&S 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

k%20and%20s-blue%20bird%20zero%201.64-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
K&S 2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW (Estes) Micro Blue Bird Zero (#305) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: Micro Blue Bird Zero Also known as:

NUMBER: #305

Introduced: 2005
Final Year:
Designer: Mike Dorffler, John McCoy

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 11.61"
Diameter: 0.375"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: 3.533 Downscale (Plan)

Advertising Liveries

mmww-(estes)%20blue%20bird%20zero%20305-plan%20livery.jpg
Plan Image

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20blue%20bird%20zero%20305-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
InFlight Blue Bird Zero (IF-K207) Basic Information.

inflight.gif
InFlight Model Rocketry

NUMBER: IF-K207

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, CLone
Length: 41"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.7 oz

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Pretty proud of the way this one came out. Then I tried an ill-advised B6-4 Field flight when I had an audience. You can still pick the remains out high in the branches in the winter when the leaves are gone. I don't think it's still flyable.:rolleyes:

GoonybirdZeroonpad.jpg

GoonybirdZeroliftoff.jpg

GoonybirdZerorecovery.jpg

So you require your recovery crew to wear helmets?
Love the rocket.

I loved the BBZ when I first saw it in the Estes catalog in 198 .. 3? Had it "mail order" (what a concept!!) Built it, painted it, loved it. Launched it about 3 times before it went up in flames. The deduction was that I never really glued the MMT in it.. It was a spectacular lauch, with the bottom portion and soon the lower fin set all ablaze as it acended to about 50'..

Sad loss.. And no way was mum gonna buy me another one.

So, jump ahead about 25 years, and John at Thrusline had a clone kit! Yes!! finally a chance to relive & rebuild her!!

So I built it. But I needed the graphics.. In walks Excelsior. perfect! decals!!
Hmm, they have up scales too.. I wonder if they can do other sizes, aswell as donw scales..

So, i have a complete set: bt-5 to bt-80!!

the 1st BT-5 was lost, so I have a 2nd. 1/16 ply fins
The BT-50 is the best in the fleet, my opinion. Not too long, not too short. Not too tight to get the chute in. And with a C, can really cook!!

The BT -80 is with a 29mm mount, but I feel a 38mm would have been a better choice. Also, not happy with the fins.. Never try to race with epoxy & beer & friends in one night..

bbz fleet 2.JPG

bbz fleet 1.JPG

I loved the BBZ when I first saw it in the Estes catalog in 198 .. 3? Had it "mail order" (what a concept!!) Built it, painted it, loved it. Launched it about 3 times before it went up in flames. The deduction was that I never really glued the MMT in it.. It was a spectacular lauch, with the bottom portion and soon the lower fin set all ablaze as it acended to about 50'..

Sad loss.. And no way was mum gonna buy me another one.

So, jump ahead about 25 years, and John at Thrusline had a clone kit! Yes!! finally a chance to relive & rebuild her!!

So I built it. But I needed the graphics.. In walks Excelsior. perfect! decals!!
Hmm, they have up scales too.. I wonder if they can do other sizes, aswell as donw scales..

So, i have a complete set: bt-5 to bt-80!!

the 1st BT-5 was lost, so I have a 2nd. 1/16 ply fins
The BT-50 is the best in the fleet, my opinion. Not too long, not too short. Not too tight to get the chute in. And with a C, can really cook!!

The BT -80 is with a 29mm mount, but I feel a 38mm would have been a better choice. Also, not happy with the fins.. Never try to race with epoxy & beer & friends in one night..

That's a great family photo!

Don't make the mistake of thinking you are done, though. You've made a good start. I personally look forward to the 152mm motor mount version for your L3 project. I'm especially looking forward to seeing how it does on the CTI O!

Good luck!

A BT-5 BBZ really appeals to me, but I'm weird that way. I'd much rather downscale a given design than upscale it, most of the time.

Level 0 capable is about where I draw the line! :D

Some may say that is a shame but, upon reflection, you drew your line quite artistically and should be proud of what you have done.

You can always reconsider next year.

(These days, the only way I am going to get to experience a CTI O motor is vicariously!)

Here's my clone version from Inflightrocketry, waterslide decals. Has flown great on C6-5's. Thought I had a picture of it by itself, will have to take one and repost...

Skyrocketing_Distractions_by_Dseter.jpg

While I once did have the intent to persue my level 1 & 2, a few things at the time dissuaded me. So, level 0 is good enough for me! Cheaper too!!

maybe one day, if I move!!

Thrustline Blue Bird Zero (TACL-023) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

NUMBER: TACL-023

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Clone
Motor Mount:
Stages:
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Excelsior Goonybird Zero Basic Information.

excelsior%20logo.gif
Excelsior Rocketry

MODEL NAME: Goonybird Zero Also known as:

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Goony
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: Once more, into the world of GOONY we go.... the latest is a stunted little model called the GOONYBIRD ZERO.

The GOONYBIRD ZERO is a kitbash of the Baby Bertha kit. All you need to add is the GOONYBIRD ZERO fins, the GOONYBIRD ZERO decals, and you are off. Like all Retro Bash sets, the GOONYBIRD ZERO contains decals, instructions, and fin patterns to build from a Baby Bertha kit that you supply yourself. (Escelsior 2012 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

excelsior-goonybird%20zero-2009%20web.jpg
2009 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Back