Estes Blackhawk??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgtobidiah

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am looking for a clone or something similar to the Blackhawk from the 90s. I have the instructions from the JimZ site and i am thinking of trying to re-create it myself. I was wondering if anyone knows of something similar made by another company. Also i was thinking of a slightly upscaled version possibly using the 2 body tubes to house engines instead of a central mounted one.

thanks,
Chris

Chris, I don't know of anything on the market that is along the same lines as the Blackhawk, doesn't mean there isn't. Not to rain on your clustering idea, but have you thought about if it'll be stable if only one motor lights?

I had thought about that and if i did some kind of a clustering i would probably modify it so that the engines were a bit closer together just incase only one lit. I don't really know if there is any other way for it to be stable otherwise.
I'm still doing a bit of searching and i may end up scratch-building something. I was always worried about the channel system that the black hawk used. The one i had always worked but i was concerned about it not holding up over time.

If i do end up doing a scratch-built one i will probably post the whole thing as i go. I also plan on using Rocsim to make sure it will all work.

thanks,
Chris

you could cant the motors so they aim at the CG that might help some, depending on where the CG is. A light epoxy coat will help in the ducting. Check the TRF Archive Micromiester had a couple of good ducting examples there, SR-71 and a PMC of a Valkyrie bomber if I remember right.

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for a clone or something similar to the Blackhawk from the 90s. I have the instructions from the JimZ site and i am thinking of trying to re-create it myself. I was wondering if anyone knows of something similar made by another company. Also i was thinking of a slightly upscaled version possibly using the 2 body tubes to house engines instead of a central mounted one.

thanks,
Chris
If you've got $60 sitting around, here is the original Centuri kit that the blackhawk was essentially a re-release of...

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300304325242

Thanks Guys,

Mjennings, interesting idea with the canted engines. I haven't messed with those yet although i have looked at the ones Fliskits has.

I am keeping an eye out for now. I still think i might try a scratchbuild and possibly up-scale it but i would still like to get the real kit as well.

Chris

Back