Estes Black Star Voyager- A fun and tough one!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSNW

Reaction score
Hey all-
So even though I am still working (thank God) I do have a number of hours off here at the house. I wanted to work on something that would take a little more time.

I also know this is an older kit and there are other build threads. Even though I did not do a build thread I still wanted to share. Why not?

This is a highly creative and cool design. KUDOS to John B for his design. If you like to sand...this is your kit. I don't think I have EVER done more sanding on one particular kit in my life :). I also used a bit of Bondo spot putty to "correct" some things and to do my fillets (TINY ones). There are many many angles and geometries that need to line up during assembly...what a trip (pun intended)! I wish this kit was still available. I am glad I have one more in my stash.I have to say....out of all the skill level 5 kits I have built...this is the toughest one for me.

The only thing I would say in the negative side is that the instructions SUCK. I found a number of errors/typos. IMO this is a kit...by its nature, that needs written word instructions. This is not a reflection on the designer John B.

I got to a point today where I am ready to seal the wood. I thought I would share some photos. I will also stick to the color scheme but will make a MINOR change (promise) on one thing. As you will see, I changed the motor retention. I am diabolically apposed to engine hooks.

First flight after finishing will be on an RMS E18-4W. Then if all goes well...an RMS F24-W

Stay well folks
Andrew

Last edited:
OH! Yes, I still have to put on the many wood "strip things" on the upper section. FYI, I also used watery CA to seal the edges of all the card stock Doo-Dads.

YES-I am still painting it all black. But the two sections that have the card stock "thingies" will be grey. IMO this will make them "pop" more. There are SO many angles and interesting aspects to this kit. Black, IMO HIDES these angles and shapes. All in all this is a WONDERFUL kit.

MORE like these PLEASE. :)
Andrew

I like the motor retention cap instead of the engine hook.

i love his rocket. If you run across my thread, I made a 3d solid model of it at the same time I built it. That greatly helped me sort out everything's location

i love his rocket. If you run across my thread, I made a 3d solid model of it at the same time I built it. That greatly helped me sort out everything's location

Say, I could not seem to find your thread. Can you send me the link?
Thanks
Andrew

That's one of my all-time favorite designs. Very nice work so far.

Thank you Neil. It truly is a cool design. I know this is bit of an older kit...but I thought I would post about is anyway. It is new to me.

Each time I look at it I am reminded of this time I saw a young man come to a launch and put one of these on the rod for the FIRST time. It was beautiful...a good build with a fine finish. I remember it just clearing to rod and seeing the BP motor explode....we all felt so bad for the kid. I know this is rocketry but...it was a heart breaker. For me, I will go with my trusty 24mm RMS E18.

Each time I look at it I am reminded of this time I saw a young man come to a launch and put one of these on the rod for the FIRST time. It was beautiful...a good build with a fine finish. I remember it just clearing to rod and seeing the BP motor explode....we all felt so bad for the kid. I know this is rocketry but...it was a heart breaker.
That is indeed a heartbreaker, and also why I always make sure to get good pictures before any maiden flight.

A reviewer on Rocket Reviews said it was like “launching a violin”, which O’Leary’s thought sums it up nicely. :)

Nice build, Andrew. I have one in the build pile collecting dust. Might have to move it up the queue.
Luv dem complicated rockets with all the doohickeys.;)
Laters.

Nice build, Andrew. I have one in the build pile collecting dust. Might have to move it up the queue.
Luv dem complicated rockets with all the doohickeys.;)
Laters.

Thanks! I like this style too!
Andrew

Dang!!!

I tossed the instructions before I got the measurements/placement of the wood things on the upper body tube. Does anyone know where to place them? Like how far up from the aft end of the body tube do I glue the wood strips? I DO have the placement guide though.
Any help would be great!

Back