Estes Big Daddy....... but.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Total voters
I have a modified design with a 38mm MMT and TTW plywood fins ready for build. I decided to scratch build the entire rocket rather than bash the kit, primarily because with a 38mm MMT, I didn't want to use and Estes airframe, I'll go with LOC or Blue Tube. I've also designed a bulkhead system for the NC to use a Badass/Mach 1 NC AV-Bay with a Quantum and FW GPS. This will go out-of-sight on a 38mm motor...

I'd build three of them.
One 29mm, One 38mm, and One 54mm.

The 38mm has flown an H-550. The 54 has only been on an H-238, so far, but was built for a J250.
29mm has balsa fins. 38mm has plywood fins. 54mm has balsa with fiberglass. I'd suggest stiffening the tube above the motor if you want to rock and roll. Plan on 4-10 oz of weight in the nose depending on what you want to do.

View attachment 501368
I have a 38mm ready to build (Badder Daddy), an upscale to 4" and 54mm designed (Bigger Badder Daddy) and an upscale to 6" & 75mm designed (Who's Your Daddy?). It's an addiction...

I think the OP is probably now overwhelmed with options :) That's ok, just need to build a lot of Big Daddies.

Really a shame Estes doesn't offer the BT and nosecone separate; so many of these get modded or custom built...
Estes wants to sell you their motors. They offer rockets that work with their motors. There not in the rocket buisness to make money on the models. They make their own motors and that's where their money comes from. Kinda like buying a very cheap printer, most of the real income comes in from selling ink.

Estes wants to sell you their motors. They offer rockets that work with their motors. There not in the rocket buisness to make money on the models. They make their own motors and that's where their money comes from. Kinda like buying a very cheap printer, most of the real income comes in from selling ink.

Yeah, well aware of that. One can wish, right?

Yeah, well aware of that. One can wish, right?
Right! I wish they would at least sell ALL their parts. But that's not gonna happen.
I dont think they like it when people modify the kits. I've asked questions before like wanting the CP on a particular model. The gentleman stated if you build it as instructed it will be stable. I indicated I wanted to modify the kit allowing larger diameter motors to be flown and that's why I needed the CP. He would not provide the CO.
I asked if they ran a sim program on their models like RocSim or Open Rocket.
He then stated they did not and just test flew the models to determine stability.
I found that statement extraordinary.

I've always enjoyed my two Big Daddy's. One is 29mm and the other is 54mm (flys on 2-grain J motors). The 29mm is actually the third iteration. Both use the original cone, balsa fins and cardboard tube, with a few enhancements.

Jim

Big Daddy Pair.JPG

I've always enjoyed my two Big Daddy's. One is 29mm and the other is 54mm (flys on 2-grain J motors). The 29mm is actually the third iteration. Both use the original cone, balsa fins and cardboard tube, with a few enhancements.

Jim

View attachment 501538

I would love to hear more about these. Especially the 54mm with the top secret mods..... I set my 54/852 case next to the BT and NC within 15min of opening the package and thought to myself "Wow, this would be cool....." Looks like it would fit very easily.

This thread gained the traction I really hoped it would. There are some talented people on this forum. We are seriously blessed to say the least. :)

I have placed an order with a certain organization which should be here in a few days.

I think I will need to buy at least one more kit. o_O

I have a bunch of these as it seemed like HL had them on clearance every time I walked in there. At one point I was picking them up for $10 ea. I figured I couldn't buy the nose cone for that price so why not.

If built completely stock. paper rings, balsa fins, etc. you can build one of these light enough to fly in small fields on a C5-3 which we did for a niece. It's also a great flier on a D12 motor.

Another one I built used the stock balsa fins but I upgraded the motor to 29mm and added a plywood upper ring. That one is my favorite BD to fly as it gives me the best of the 24mm and 29mm world. It's still light enough for D12 motors but I can always stick and 29mm in there.

Also have one with the Vanderburn 29mm upgrade with the plywood fins, rings, Kevlar cord, etc. Also built that one with a full length coupler for added rigidity in the body tube. It required a couple oz. of nose weight to bring the CG back to normal position but that has been a great rocket. That one has been up on a G40 once but normally flies on G74's when I can find them. For a while they have been a bit hard to get around me.

Last edited:
1) Buy the kit.
2) Donate it to someone.
3) Buy all new parts that are better, stronger, faster.
4) Shop at Stickershock.
5) Launch it on a G80.
6) Upload the video to YT.

E12 Cato blew out my forward CR so bought a plywood replacement but got the wrong size so epoxied the snot out of it. It's Catoproof now.

19CF5689-3159-49D5-B568-2F95CC3DA103.jpeg

I would love to hear more about these. Especially the 54mm with the top secret mods..... I set my 54/852 case next to the BT and NC within 15min of opening the package and thought to myself "Wow, this would be cool....." Looks like it would fit very easily.
Nothing too top secret. The fins and body tube were laminated with one layer of CF. This cloth was 8 oz I think - a bit heavier than the typical 2x2 twill (it's what I had on hand at the time). The fins are just surface mounted. The rocket has a slim line retainer. The cone has the attachment point cut away and the shoulder is lined with fiberglass. There is weight at the top of the cone. The entire cone with weight is at 500 grams. It is likely that stability could be achieved with less weight, but this is what is in my cone, and the rocket flies fine.

The rocket can get as high as 9K or so, so it is best to use this with a chute release. Due to the heavy cone, I fly with a small drogue chute and the bundled main. Otherwise, the descent rate can be too high and the chute might not open. This takes a little thought to avoid tangling.

Jim

IMG_2723.JPG

Right! I wish they would at least sell ALL their parts. But that's not gonna happen.
I dont think they like it when people modify the kits. I've asked questions before like wanting the CP on a particular model. The gentleman stated if you build it as instructed it will be stable. I indicated I wanted to modify the kit allowing larger diameter motors to be flown and that's why I needed the CP. He would not provide the CO.
He then stated they did not and just test flew the models to determine stability.

what is the CP of a standard Big Daddy?
What is the CP of a Big Daddy with an 8 inch extension?
(Total body tube of 18 inches)
Open Rocket will not upload on my computer!
Thanks!

what is the CP of a standard Door Knob?
What is the CP of a Door Knob with an 8 inch extension?
Thanks!

Create a thread and ask people in lieu of posting in a thread about the Estes Big Daddy? Might have more success as those who have Door Knobs aren't likely searching for those looking for someone needing their door knob simmed.

what is the CP of a standard Big Daddy?
What is the CP of a Big Daddy with an 8 inch extension?
Thanks!
15.13" from nose tip

Create a thread and ask people in lieu of posting in a thread about the Estes Big Daddy? Might have more success as those who have Door Knobs aren't likely searching for those looking for someone needing their door knob simmed.

corrected to Big Daddy
But thanks for your input!

corrected to Big Daddy
But thanks for your input!

Hahahah!!! No worries!! At first I was like "I am not sure this is going to be successful, but OK!" Then someone posts the position for the Door Knob!! LOL RF always delivers!

Nothing too top secret. The fins and body tube were laminated with one layer of CF. This cloth was 8 oz I think - a bit heavier than the typical 2x2 twill (it's what I had on hand at the time). The fins are just surface mounted. The rocket has a slim line retainer. The cone has the attachment point cut away and the shoulder is lined with fiberglass. There is weight at the top of the cone. The entire cone with weight is at 500 grams. It is likely that stability could be achieved with less weight, but this is what is in my cone, and the rocket flies fine.

The rocket can get as high as 9K or so, so it is best to use this with a chute release. Due to the heavy cone, I fly with a small drogue chute and the bundled main. Otherwise, the descent rate can be too high and the chute might not open. This takes a little thought to avoid tangling.

Jim

View attachment 501632

Thanks for posting, Jim, and adding some additional content. Especially the pics!

So your CF bird had surface mount fins!? Were they the original balsa fins that you laminated??

How did you accomplish motor retention? Aeropack?

Thanks for posting, Jim, and adding some additional content. Especially the pics!

So your CF bird had surface mount fins!? Were they the original balsa fins that you laminated??

How did you accomplish motor retention? Aeropack?
Yes, the fins are surface mount. I detest making a composite structure of some sort and then slotting it. I should climb off my soapbox. I used the balsa fins and laminated them - same one layer of carbon. The leading edges of the fins were hardwood that was rounded over. I used a slimline retainer.

Jim

Back