Estes Big Daddy....... but.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do?

• Total voters
A 54mm Daddy is an enjoyable thing, indeed.

I've watched your video several times before you posted. Always awesome to tie a YouTuber to their online persona. That flight is AWESOME!!!

Would you mind pulling it apart and snapping some pics of the inside and how you laid everything out?? I have no idea how you got all that you did, inside that thing. A T3 in there as well as a Jolly Rancher, chute, nomex, etc. blows my mind.

Sure I can do that but today is day 1 of 7 on the road for me. Everything does fit in the nose cone, it's tight but it works. The GPS has to come out of its case and gets wrapped and taped directly to the kevlar recovery harness.

Sure I can do that but today is day 1 of 7 on the road for me. Everything does fit in the nose cone, it's tight but it works. The GPS has to come out of its case and gets wrapped and taped directly to the kevlar recovery harness.

No worries! At your leisure is perfectly OK with me. Thank you in advance!

One quick question though. What type of epoxy did you use to glue the bulkhead in the stock NC? I cannot ID the plastic they use so not sure if I am going to have any issues with adhesion.

I have trimmed my NC like you did and others and have taken the scraps and done some test bonds with JB Weld that is currently curing. Wiped with alcohol, scuffed with 150grit, wipe with alcohol again, apply epoxy to both sides, press together and let cure.

For the eye bolt and lead weight in the tip of the nose, I used Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy, with music wire going through to anchor it all in place. I also used Bob Smith for the coupler material I used to stiffen the shoulder of the nose cone. All recovery gear fits inside the nose cone, and something like 5 ounces of lead weight was needed to balance the rocket with the two-grain 54mm motor. Since the second grain is mostly forward of the CP, one would need to use more than that if flying with a single grain 54mm motor.

Just modded mine for 24mm, have two more to build. Already have upgraded fins for one, so the other is gonna get a 29mm with the same nosecone mod, just the bulkhead will be down more in the NC to give me more room.. The 29mm tube is gonna be almost to the top of the Body Tube, so about an inch down my top centering ring will go with an eyelet for the kevlar shock cord. Just tested mine today. It works. Was worried about the shock cord length. But its about perfect at 3 feet. Have a thread and video if you wanna see more. Flew in on a C6-5 for the last flight. Lawn dart bad bc I was worried about my launch area. Almost lost a Cherokee-E on the same motor. Its still flyable. Just gonna use a D next time for sure. I have hours into this I'd rather take a little damage then lose it. Pretty much a test rocket now anyways. But its still one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 20230630_101815.jpg
    20230630_101815.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230702_094002.jpg
    20230702_094002.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230702_094436.jpg
    20230702_094436.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230702_120939.jpg
    20230702_120939.jpg