Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More info on the plastic bag paint effect. How did you do that. Looks awesome!!!

It's more simple than I expected. Select your base coat color and let that fully cure; in this case, it's black. Definitely wait long enough or the top coat will eat through the base coat when working on the effect. Then, spray on a top coat color and pretty heavy, honestly. Lighter amounts of paint will want to make the plastic stick and won't work as well, so hose it on. Take a section of plastic wrap or garbage/plastic bag and lay it on the paint and remove it over and over until you get what you want. It's ok to let it crinkle/ball up and slide the plastic around; that's what makes it work. Depending on the rocket, you may need to work fast or in sections so the top doesn't dry in a place. You might also need to spray on more paint here and there. Have a few sections of plastic wrap or bags handy in case you need them.

Another way to look at it, it's like childhood finger-painting but with some plastic in between.

Paper towel tubes are great for practicing. Definitely do a few trials before attempting the actual rocket :)

My first rocket as I re-entered the hobby as an adult was a Big Daddy. Graphics are simple color laser printer on mailing label stock. Every fin had a different Spaceman Spiff image on each side of the fin.
View attachment 459412
View attachment 459418

As a big fan of C&H, I love this, thanks for sharing! Great execution too. I might have to add some Spaceman Spiff flair to some of my rockets as well. :)

My second Big Daddy is complete, and I'm proud to say I built this one mostly stock! The result is that it's significantly lighter than my first, and sims much better on D12s. The only modification is the same nose cone ramp delete that I did on the first, but I used thinner plywood and a smaller eyebolt to save weight. I even used the provided cardboard centering rings!

A few days ago, someone posted a rocket that featured a section of vinyl wrap from Hobby Lobby. I loved it, and though I unfortunately can't find the post again to provide proper credit, I hope they don't mind that I copied the idea. One sheet is the perfect size for a Big Daddy body tube. I'm really happy with how this one turned out!

1618191512962.png

My second Big Daddy is complete, and I'm proud to say I built this one mostly stock! The result is that it's significantly lighter than my first, and sims much better on D12s. The only modification is the same nose cone ramp delete that I did on the first, but I used thinner plywood and a smaller eyebolt to save weight. I even used the provided cardboard centering rings!

A few days ago, someone posted a rocket that featured a section of vinyl wrap from Hobby Lobby. I loved it, and though I unfortunately can't find the post again to provide proper credit, I hope they don't mind that I copied the idea. One sheet is the perfect size for a Big Daddy body tube. I'm really happy with how this one turned out!

View attachment 459524

That wrap is perfect!

View attachment 459524
Awesome. I did the same thing with an Alpha a couple years back.

Attachments

• Alpha3.jpg
    Alpha3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 32

View attachment 459524
That is a fantastic wrap idea. I went to the Hobby Lobby website to find this product. Cannot beat the price: $2.49 On sale right now: $1.49. For anyone else interested here is the link:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapboo...-Sky-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl---12-x-12/p/80873406
Also, a more comprehensive list of these Self-Adhesive Vinyl sheets that includes many colors and some other eye-catching patterns... Not sure I have ever seen a paisley rocket before:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?...and:the+Paper+Studio&text=self-adhesive vinyl.

Quick math: these 12 inch wide sheets will wrap an air frame up to 3.8 inches in diameter without gaps.
Thanks Spitfire222 for your post.
Have fun, Greg

That is a fantastic wrap idea. I went to the Hobby Lobby website to find this product. Cannot beat the price: $2.49 On sale right now: $1.49. For anyone else interested here is the link:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapboo...-Sky-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl---12-x-12/p/80873406
Also, a more comprehensive list of these Self-Adhesive Vinyl sheets that includes many colors and some other eye-catching patterns... Not sure I have ever seen a paisley rocket before:
https://www.hobbylobby.com/search/?q=self-adhesive+vinyl:relevance:classificationBrand:the+Paper+Studio&text=self-adhesive vinyl.

Quick math: these 12 inch wide sheets will wrap an air frame up to 3.8 inches in diameter without gaps.
Thanks Spitfire222 for your post.
Have fun, Greg

As much as I wish I could take credit for this, as I mentioned in my post, I blatantly copied this idea from someone else who posted a photo of their rocket with the same wrap! I tried searching for it, but I have yet to find it again to give proper credit to them.

How did I miss this thread!?
I built a stock BD and ended up shovin the cardboard rings through the body on an F, so I rebuilt it in 29mm. 29558.jpg
Unfortunately on a G78 the rocket gods decided it was a worthy sacrifice and it drifted into the nearby woods. Currently have another waiting for paint.

BIG DADDY XXL!

MODEL NAME: Big Daddy XXL Also known as:

NUMBER: #46190

Introduced: 2023
Final Year:
Designer: John_461

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x54mm or 5x38mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 52 in. (132.8 cm)
Diameter: 7.675 in. (19.49 cm)
Span: 21 in. (55 cm)
Weight: 230 oz. (6.52.3 kg)

Mfg. Description: BIG is better! Well in most things - bigger is better. Using AeroTech K engines, this highly streamlined rocket can reach a cloud topping 3000 feet. If you prefer to keep it suborbital, it will also fly extremely well on J540 engines or 5 x H219 engines! Either way, this extreme rocket is returned safely on a colorful 84 inch preassembled parachute.

Standing just under 53 inches tall and having a Big Daddy XXL waist size of 7.675 inches, This high powered bullet is built to handle all the power you can stuff into the modular motor tube.

Experience in model building and finishing is necessary to build this big guy, but the end result is worth the effort.

big daddy kid.png

Big Daddy launch 2.png

Sorry...I had to play with the original Estes description.

Also my first rocket since getting back into the hobby.

Last edited:
Back