Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My latest Big Daddy...call it SUMO Daddy. :grin:

Will print some modified "SUMO Daddy" logos next week when I have my vinyl printer back on after maintenance. Replaced the stock MM with a 5 engine cluster on this so that it has all kinds of combos it could ride up on. Paints used were Rustoleum fluorescent orange & yellow. Clear coated with Krylon triple clear (love that stuff). Changed out the shock cord to kevlar attached to the motor mount and gave it a nice fluorescent colored parachute. Motor mount tube was extended up through the nose cone.

I'll put up some better pictures when I get the decals finished and some better lighting. These ones look really washed out.

sumodaddy1.jpg

sumodaddy2.jpg

sumodaddy3.JPG

Last edited:
Here's my version of a Big Daddy. It's a kit bash from mostly Pro Series II parts:

-Leviathan Nosecone
-Leviathan lower fin can Bodytube
-Ventris patterned fins (altered slightly)
-Centering rings from a Nike Smoke
-Motor Mount from the Ventris
-Boat tail is custom made. Gave me 200 ft more!!:cool:

Last edited:
Here's my version of a Big Daddy. It's a kit bash from mostly Pro Series II parts:

-Leviathan Nosecone

This is a very cool looking rocket! The shape is great, and I like the decal.

4oz nose weight, 29mm Motor Mount, 18" Top Flight Chute, 1/8" Ply Centering Rings, Rail Buttons.
silver bullet.jpgCrabs and Beer Drag Race.jpg
Powering up against the Olde Bay Daddy on an F59 White Thunder (and Losing!)

-Leviathan Nosecone

Very cool indeed. I noticed you used the NC and fincan from the Leviathan. Did you know those are the exact same parts as in the BD kit?

Here is a photo of the maiden flight. I failed to keep the shock cord taught while adding wadding. Ejection charge melted shock cord and tumble recovery broke one fin. It will fly again.
Daddy3.jpg

My first rocket build as an adult. Started leading the local 4H rocketry project this fall along with my daughter and son.

big_daddy.jpg

Finally finished this one off from before. I printed the decals a while back but just got around applying them. Flew like a charm on a single engine. Probably try out the cluster next week with the kids.

Sumorocketfinished_zpsbde51a44.jpg

Here is my first rocket in nearly two decades, a stock, unmodified Big Daddy.
completed_rocket.jpg
Album: https://imgur.com/a/Y22R3

Flight Video: [video=youtube;8n7m6ejN1ZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n7m6ejN1ZU[/video]

Thank you! I was really pleased with how it came out since I have zero experience with spray painting/airbrushing of any kind. There are some detail issues that came from inexperience but overall I'm very happy with the finished product.

The booster was put together from a Big Daddy kit I made when I was a kid, it flew for years till the chute melted into a brick and crashed.

I figured I could make a new kit much better than repairing one I slapped together 12 years ago so I recycled what I could.

BUILD: ​3 1/4 length of Big Daddy body tube. Two centering rings - I managed to save one, the other is cut from an old text book. The body tube collar is cut from the nose cone shoulder, and the motor collar is made from card stock, Fins are cut from 1/8 plywood. Lastly I tied elastic cords inside, I attach two crepe paper streamers to those for recovery.

PERFORMANCE: the system as it sits now can only use D motors, D12-0 to D12-5. An E is too heavy on paper so I haven't risked it. I'd guess the booster takes it up about 150ft.

Here's a few pictures, I don't have any launch photos, also the build qualities not the greatest..its recycled parts.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I decided to do another fwd/mid mounted motor rocket. The last one I did was a steampunk Estes V-2 with (4) 18mm motor mounts. At the time, I was debating between a V-2 and a Big Daddy. So now I did the Big Daddy with (2) 24mm MMTs. It is covered in heavy gauge paper (~.03" thick) over the entire NC and body tube. I used O scale polystyrene diamond plate, plastic half beads from Michaels, card stock I corrugated with a tool from Michaels, and even a sewing bobbin from...... Michaels. I overlapped each piece of heavy gauge paper to simulate riveted sheet metal. The chute comes out the rear. I flew it a few weeks ago on (2) E-12-6s, and it flew great.

To see the V2, please click on this link. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67272-Estes-V2-Steam-Punk-Forward-Mounted-Canted-Cluster-build-thread

Hope you like it.

IMG_1421.JPG IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1423.JPG IMG_1424.JPG
IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1427.JPG
IMG_1428.JPG IMG_1429.JPG

Last edited:
th
I decided to do another fwd/mid mounted motor rocket. The last one I did was a steampunk Estes V-2 with (4) 18mm motor mounts. At the time, I was debating between a V-2 and a Big Daddy. So now I did the Big Daddy with (2) 24mm MMTs. It is covered in heavy gauge paper (~.03" thick) over the entire NC and body tube. I used O scale polystyrene diamond plate, plastic half beads from Michaels, card stock I corrugated with a tool from Michaels, and even a sewing bobbin from...... Michaels. I overlapped each piece of heavy gauge paper to simulate riveted sheet metal. The chute comes out the rear. I flew it a few weeks ago on (2) E-12-6s, and it flew great.

To see the V2, please click on this link. https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?67272-Estes-V2-Steam-Punk-Forward-Mounted-Canted-Cluster-build-thread

Hope you like it.

View attachment 272044 View attachment 272043
View attachment 272042 View attachment 272041
View attachment 272040 View attachment 272039
View attachment 272038 View attachment 272037

Hope you like it. I like it. COOL BEANS!!!!!

Just finished mine today. It's a bit of a departure for me, as I usually finish my Estes models according to the face card image. Hoping to go fly it tomorrow.
01618de9c93956cac8c0c41b8f9d9ac3ef1904f44a.jpg

Oops, forgot to ask. If you use only D-12 motors in a stock configuration, do you still have to add any one weight to prevent lawn darts? Or is that only for high power motors?

My Big Daddy. The decals are vinyl. Unfortunately a tree got this one after the second launch. After a few months in the weather it came down but was water-soaked. This was the first rocket I spent time on the finish. Gonna have to get another one!

20160207_172011 (1).jpg

Back