Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice..I like the simple clean looking paint schemes like these..the black one a few back..

On my everyday flyers I put a high visibility paint job on them so they are easy to locate on the field when they land. I also found out the neon colors are much more forgiving when painting them as well as the flat colors. I also had some neon paint left and didn't want it to go to waste. Sometimes simple is better. You have to figure the rocket will eventually get banged up at some point. lost or destroyed so it makes sense. Scale models are a different story.

Every rocket I own is an "everyday flyer"... except for the ones that perform so badly I never fly them at all.

Nice flight! Any idea of altitude?
Rocksim put it at about 2800' but no electronics on-board, so I don't have a definitive answer :( I'll fly my Altimeter One next time :)
I've got the Rocksim file here
The CR's and fins were laser cut in 3mm liteply. I cut away the bottom of the nose cone and fitted a bulkhead as the motor case is long. The parachute was wrapped in nomex and was stuffed into the nose cone, too.

It was a great flight! Everyone's so used to seeing much larger rockets going up on motors like that, so this was a real treat :)

And the crazy thing is, who would imagine that you could do your Level 1 on an Estes Big Daddy!

Krusty

Rocksim put it at about 2800' but no electronics on-board, so I don't have a definitive answer :( I'll fly my Altimeter One next time :)
I've got the Rocksim file here
The CR's and fins were laser cut in 3mm liteply. I cut away the bottom of the nose cone and fitted a bulkhead as the motor case is long. The parachute was wrapped in nomex and was stuffed into the nose cone, too.

It was a great flight! Everyone's so used to seeing much larger rockets going up on motors like that, so this was a real treat :)

And the crazy thing is, who would imagine that you could do your Level 1 on an Estes Big Daddy!

Krusty

Very impressive!

Here is my Big Daddy! My buddy pointed out that the top of the nosecone looks like candy corn. Bonus in my book!! :)
bigdadyfinished_zpsa3935b05.jpg
bigdaddyliftoff_zps3e6f8a92.jpg

Here's mine. This Big Daddy is about a year old and has been launched about 10 times, including a hard crash and a broken fin. I just finished giving it a major renovation.

bdr1.jpg

bdr2.jpg

bdr3.jpg

bdr4.jpg

bdr5.jpg

And here's the video of the crash. Some of you may have already seen this, I posted this video last year:
[video=youtube;hTizGyCO4BI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTizGyCO4BI[/video]

Last edited:
Awesome paint job! And I love the stands with the fake fur! Is that wood bocote?

Betch'a don't mount a camera on the fin again. Cool vid, though (kind'a worth it IMO). A view-point I've never seen before. Interesting.

Nice finish.

Awesome video! The Canadian judge gives you a 10 for best placement of a video camera! I watched the video, thought wow that was cool, then.... wait a minute how de he do that.

Awesome paint job! And I love the stands with the fake fur! Is that wood bocote?

No that's just normal old oak from Home Depot, with Minwax pecan stain.

Awesome video! The Canadian judge gives you a 10 for best placement of a video camera! I watched the video, thought wow that was cool, then.... wait a minute how de he do that.

That was my second attempt at a rocket motor cam. Here is the video from my first attempt, which didn't crash but the camera fell off at ejection. I plan to try this again with a MPR and composite motor.

[video=youtube;-YwlQI3FTbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YwlQI3FTbM[/video]

Last edited:
I recently built and flown this BD on an AT E28-7. Flew great, the added baffle worked great too. Before this BD, I did a Leviathan. The Leviathan is pretty much a BD with an added chunk of body tube. The lower tube and NC are the same. The Leviathan fins are similar in shape, just a little bit bigger and made of plywood.

IMG_0720.JPGIMG_0721.JPGIMG_0722.JPGIMG_0726.JPGIMG_0727.JPG

I recently built and flown this BD on an AT E28-7. Flew great, the added baffle worked great too. Before this BD, I did a Leviathan. The Leviathan is pretty much a BD with an added chunk of body tube. The lower tube and NC are the same. The Leviathan fins are similar in shape, just a little bit bigger and made of plywood.

Nice paint job!

I like it!
Thanks Quake, I deviated from the original plan, I originally wanted just the fins and NC red, but the yellow I had picked out didnt match close enough to Marks vinyl (His is a spot on match to the actual Old bay can!) So I painted the whole lower section red. Its not as shiny as it looks, the nose came out great, but the bottom/fins are not as smooth as I had hoped. Oh well! Its going up on a F85 then probably the F240 VMAX.

An F240? Don't blink!
Its just a wee bit heavier than stock, Ply fins, ply CRs, heavier MMT tube, eyebolts, rail buttons, and 4oz of lead in the nose. Sims at just under 1k ft at 420ft/sec pulling 54Gs.
I have to re-weigh it, but I think its right about 15oz. Should be fun!

Last edited:
Here is my latest Big Daddy. With the mods, and with the help of Mark at Stickershock, it has been renamed BIGGER DADDY

Other mods include Kevlar recovery to the end of the BT then about 4.5 feet of elastic to finish the recovery train. Plastic molded eyelet was not used to NC attachment but rather used an eye bold and washers held in place by JB weld. It was made adjustable to modify the nose weight as needed.

IMG_20131020_112548_207.jpgIMG_20131020_112651_848.jpgIMG_20131020_112605_452.jpg

...Its going up on a F85 then probably the F240 VMAX.

Are you going to do that this month? I want to see a Big Daddy with a F240! It's going to take off like a rifle shot. The biggest motor I ever put in my Big Daddy was a E15.

Wound up with the F50 Skidmark because of the Cloud ceiling. Still scooted pretty fast! I have the F85, will buy the F240 at RG for it!

Back