Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Estes Big Daddy (#2162) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Big Daddy Also known as:

NUMBER: #2162

Introduced: 1998
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 19 in. (48.3 cm)
Diameter: 3 in. (76 cm)
Span:
Weight: 5.3 oz. (150.3 g)

Mfg. Description: BIG is better! Well in most things - big is better. Using Estes E engines, this highly streamlined rocket can reach a cloud topping 900 feet. If you prefer to keep it suborbital, it will also fly extremely well on C11 engines or D engines! Either way, this extreme rocket is returned safely on a colorful 24 inch preassembled parachute.

Standing just under 20 inches tall and having a Big Daddy waist size of 3 inches, This high powered bullet is built to handle all the power you can stuff into the motor tube.

Experience in model building and finishing is necessary to build this big guy, but the end result is worth the effort. (Estes 2011 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

estes-big%20daddy%202162-2002%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2002 Catalog
estes-big%20daddy%202162-2003%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2003 Catalog
estes-big%20daddy%202162-2004%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2004 Catalog

estes-big%20daddy%202162-2006%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2006 Catalog
estes-big%20daddy%202162-2007%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2007 Catalog
estes-big%20daddy%202162-2008%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2008 Catalog

estes-big%20daddy%202162-2010%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 2010 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-big%20daddy%202162-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.
See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads
My Big Daddy...First time airbrushing!
Big daddy shock cord attached??? Upscale cord

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
This is my Big Daddy clone, modified for a rear-engine eject so that I could blend the nose with the body.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Firs time poster. This is my first custom paint job and I was so excited about it that I had to share it on here.
6157232372_686b8f38da_z.jpg

My girlfriend and I just recently got into rocketry. This Big Daddy is our seventh rocket and the first one that we've done a custom paint job on. We're getting better at finishing our rockets every time.

I'm particularly proud of how well the masking turned out since it was our first time doing that as well. It's not 100% perfect but we're quite satisfied.

We got a BD because it seemed like a great rocket to hone our sanding and painting skills on since it's a nice big canvas.
That is too cool. Grest detail!

Finally got this bugger done. No clear coat yet.
BD.jpg

Last edited:
That looks amazing! Is it all paint?
Thanks. It's all Rustoleum except for the little diamonds on top of the nose cone (of which, you can only see one). They were part of the decal set that came with the kit.

Yeah, it took a while. Mainly from a motivational angle. Lots of taping.

Outstanding effort! Excellent results!

Lots and lots'a of taping I'd wager. All with clean lines too!

Last edited:
Wow! Impressive! Are sure you want to launch it?
Thanks T. You bet it's going flying! It had a few under it's fins while it was lingering in yellow. What comes after a D12-3 in the way of power? Just a little more.

Outstanding effort! Excellent results!

Lots and lots'a of taping I'd wager. All with clean lines too!
Of the tips, tricks and tools I've garnered from from you and your build threads—patience—is what I've made the best use of. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here is the one I just finished last week. Chickened out on the pain job ... partially due to skill and partially due to cold weather painting issues.

I used Rustoleum Metalic Black on top of a couple coats of white sanded primer. The applied just the "Big Daddy" name sticker.

Attachments

• 2012-02-14_07-27-23_532.jpg
    2012-02-14_07-27-23_532.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 62
Just finished my Big Daddy :). Decided to go with the Red Max theme. The red is darker than what these photos show.
Der_Big_Daddy_1.jpg

Der_Big_Daddy_2.jpg

A big daddy with a secret...

It's got an embedded second stage!

Inside is a cone that extends upward into the rocket. That holds the upper stage engine and mount. The base of that engine is only 2" into the rocket to avoid the Krushnic effect, since the body is 3" in diameter. The lower engine extends out by about 3/4".

big daddy 2 stage.jpg

2012-05-14_07-07-22_59.jpgThese all look awesome....I just can't seem to get mine finished, and I forgot to attach the shock cord mount to the front bulkhead in my haste to get it started

A big daddy with a secret...

It's got an embedded second stage!

Inside is a cone that extends upward into the rocket. That holds the upper stage engine and mount. The base of that engine is only 2" into the rocket to avoid the Krushnic effect, since the body is 3" in diameter. The lower engine extends out by about 3/4".

It sounds killer! Any photos of the inside?

These all look awesome....I just can't seem to get mine finished, and I forgot to attach the shock cord mount to the front bulkhead in my haste to get it started

Love the digital camo! How did you do that?

Here is my second Big Daddy.

Build Upgrades:

Epoxy fin fillets inside and out.
Kevlar shock cord tied around the MM and through the forward CR
All CR's coated with a light layer of epoxy.
Aluminium screw on 24mm motor retainer from Rocketarium

In case the pics are not clear ... used Reviving Red metalic one coat laquer from Testors and Black metalic one coat laquer from Testors.

2012-05-18_09-12-10_549.jpg2012-05-18_09-12-41_349.jpg

Red and black Walmart paint. Excelsior Rocketry Der Grosser Vati decal set.

DerGrosserVati.jpg

My Big Daddy... Originally planned to use the retro black/yellow paint scheme and decal set, I decided at the last minute to do something a bit different and based on the similarity that it was having to my Gizmo use the same vinyl. Vinyl is from Stickershock of course.

_MG_5397.JPG

I originally had this painted all yellow but then the wife said I had too many yellow rockets. So... I decided to add some extra color to my Big Daddy this afternoon.

Big Daddy.jpg

Latest posts

Back