Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished this big daddy. It will be a lot of firsts for me. First D sized launch, first through the tube fins, first attempt at flames, and first paint failure. I love the flames. Much better outcome than I expected. But the black turned to leather. It still looks good and I am afraid to redo it since I may not get the flames right again :)

bigdaddy1of1.jpg

bigdaddy1of1-4.jpg

bigdaddy1of1-2.jpg

It's my biker rocket, Leather n Flames :)
can't wait to put it in the air.
-Z

Last edited:
I call this one "School Spirit", school colors and all. It's the one I used for my avatar.

It just now dawned on me. Even though I've noticed it before, I just realized your avatar is an x-ray of a Big Daddy! That's awesome! Any chance you could post a bigger image of it?

Oh my, a Big Daddy gallery! I have a pair of them - one has a 29mm mount and the other, a 54mm mount. Here's a J-skid (by Nadine) at Airfest.

Jim

A carbon fiber Big Daddy with a 54mm motor mount. Outstanding!

Here is my Big Daddy. I originally painted it red and black, but on a dare, I repainted it yellow with a smiley face.

lunar_launch_021310_046.jpg

lunar_launch_040310_292.JPG

IMGP8617crop.jpg

IMGP8618crop.jpg

IMGP8623edit.jpg

It just now dawned on me. Even though I've noticed it before, I just realized your avatar is an x-ray of a Big Daddy! That's awesome! Any chance you could post a bigger image of it?

As requested. That's as big as Photobucket would let me make it without getting all fuzzy.

P7240008-3.jpg

Last edited:
Firs time poster. This is my first custom paint job and I was so excited about it that I had to share it on here.
6157232372_686b8f38da_z.jpg

My girlfriend and I just recently got into rocketry. This Big Daddy is our seventh rocket and the first one that we've done a custom paint job on. We're getting better at finishing our rockets every time.

I'm particularly proud of how well the masking turned out since it was our first time doing that as well. It's not 100% perfect but we're quite satisfied.

We got a BD because it seemed like a great rocket to hone our sanding and painting skills on since it's a nice big canvas.

Looks Awesome. Reminds me of Charlie Brown

search
Looks awesome.

Last edited:
I'm just starting to do the finishing on my Big Daddy.

315987_10150369988628834_656198833_9744086_1912841919_n.jpg

It will be flat black with some gloss hot rod flames like one of the rockets in here. Going to use omni or dupont black basecoat with some airbrushed flames. Looking at about 5 hours of work. Hope I can get it done soon and get a picture up

The Big Daddy is my favorite rocket of all time. Durable construction, great flights, dramatic recovery, it just doesn't get old. I've flown mine 4 times. This thing is awesome on D12-5's. I don't think this paint scheme has ever been done... Here it is.

PS: Zoom in on the picture, the smaller it gets, the worse it looks...

DSC00096.jpg

Last edited:
Firs time poster. This is my first custom paint job and I was so excited about it that I had to share it on here.
We got a BD because it seemed like a great rocket to hone our sanding and painting skills on since it's a nice big canvas.
And what you put on that canvas is bright and attractive.

6157232372_686b8f38da_z.jpg

My girlfriend and I just recently got into rocketry. This Big Daddy is our seventh rocket and the first one that we've done a custom paint job on. We're getting better at finishing our rockets every time.

I'm particularly proud of how well the masking turned out since it was our first time doing that as well. It's not 100% perfect but we're quite satisfied.

What kind of masking tape did you use on it? Great job....kind of reminds me of Charley Brown's shirts from the Peanut's cartoons...

Here is today's launch on a D12. It was very windy so I didn't dare launch on anything bigger. I used the stock Estes plastic parachute, which in this kit came with the shroud lines already attached. A couple of the lines stripped off on deployment but the rocket landed unharmed. I'd like to have a calm day so I could put in an E28.

DSC_6250b.jpg

What is that cluster fin can in the background?

I was just test fitting the motor tubes for another winter project. It is a LOC parts 5.5" dia. rocket - about the size of a Magnum. 54mm main w/(6) 29 mm outboards. Similar to my avitar pic

My Big Daddy (Pictured somewhere above) is undergoing an upgrade. I replaced the shock chord with a heat proof elastic chord. I also sanded it down and have begun repainting it.

Welcome to the Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Big Daddy: #2162
Excelsior: Der Grosser Vati: Basic Information in the Estes Der Red Max Gallery

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Back