Estes - Big Daddy (#2162) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judo

Reaction score
I can't believe this one had not been done yet.

"Over The Moon" - a 29mm powered, Holstein-spotted, Sticker Shocked decaled, Chick-Fil-A logoed version. Next to it, #1 daughter (holding rocket)and her Chick-Fil-A team.

EatMorChickin.jpg

TowneCenterCrew.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I call this one "School Spirit", school colors and all. It's the one I used for my avatar.

Completed.jpg

P9090001.jpg

Last edited:
I can't believe this one had not been done yet.

"Over The Moon" - a 29mm powered, Holstein-spotted, Sticker Shocked decaled, Chick-Fil-A logoed version.

I love it !!!!!

I`ll have to use those Holstein decals on a build......I just gotta !

Paul

Airbrushed with Createx Irridescent Blue.....
I just did a Lil Nuke with that very paint, and it will not freakin' dry! A month later and the surface is still kinda tacky. And I zapped it several times with the heat gun, too.

Suggestions?

(love the colour, by the way!)

I just did a Lil Nuke with that very paint, and it will not freakin' dry! A month later and the surface is still kinda tacky. And I zapped it several times with the heat gun, too.

Suggestions?

(love the colour, by the way!)

Wow that is strange. I was going to ask if you live in a super high-humidity area, but even if you did, it still shouldn't be tacky after a month - it has had plenty of time to dry (especially after the heat gun). The only thing I can think of is maybe the paint is just really thick. This stuff doesn't dry with a hard shell like an enamel - it stays kind of soft. That is a good think because it won't crack when the fins flex. Maybe the softness makes it feel like it is tacky. I would maybe try putting a layer of Future over it to see if you can get a hard coat over it. Good luck and let me know what happens.

I love it !!!!!

I`ll have to use those Holstein decals on a build......I just gotta !

Paul

The black spots are not decals, they are just paint. I looked at a bunch of Holstein photos to get an idea of where the spots were. I just cut random holes in 2" masking tape and placed them where I thought they would look right. I made sure to leave an empty spot opposite the rail buttons for the Eat Mor Chickin logo.

Wow that is strange. I was going to ask if you live in a super high-humidity area, but even if you did, it still shouldn't be tacky after a month - it has had plenty of time to dry (especially after the heat gun). The only thing I can think of is maybe the paint is just really thick. This stuff doesn't dry with a hard shell like an enamel - it stays kind of soft. That is a good think because it won't crack when the fins flex. Maybe the softness makes it feel like it is tacky. I would maybe try putting a layer of Future over it to see if you can get a hard coat over it. Good luck and let me know what happens.

Maybe it's the softness like you say. All my past paint experience has been lacquer & enamel, other than some Tamiya model acrylics many years ago.

I'll give the Future a shot. If it reacts with the paint, I'll know it's not properly dried :) (and my plan at this point was to strip it anyway).

Back on topic - I need to get a shot of my Big Daddy. it looks somewhat similar to Solomoriah's though.

Here's my original version of the Big Daddy.

Stock paint scheme. :eek:

It DOES have a 29mm motor mount and has only flown on 'F' motors. :D

Estes Original Big Daddy.jpg

Oh my, a Big Daddy gallery! I have a pair of them - one has a 29mm mount and the other, a 54mm mount. Here's a J-skid (by Nadine) at Airfest.

Jim

Big Daddy Pair.JPG

Big Daddy at Airfest.jpg

Here is my stock BD. Flies great on an F35 - high enough to please and no tracking device required.

08.05.17 (10).jpg

10.01.09.BDaddy (1).jpg

Here's mine on a CTI 38mm I297 Skidmark at LDRS28.
6780C80A-0B12-4D92-9A03-77A1FFC141D2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my entry for a club event this past summer. Detachable boosters was the challenge, and I went with a Big Daddy theme. The BD has always been one of my favorite rockets, especially on an F39! This one is 5.5 diameter with standard size Big Daddy boosters. Due to a poor choice in motors on my part, it's performance was rather underwhelming. Oh-well, back to the drawing board.

tres.jpg

Finally flew my bone-stock Big Daddy, so I can contribute to the gallery!

G.D.

BigDaddy-1.jpg
On the pad

BigDaddy-2.jpg
We have ignition!

Heres my hero, "Underdog" Decals and Vinyl Art from Sticker Shock. Sun Yellow and True Blue Krylon rattle can paint.Flew 07/16/11 Cmass.

Cmass Underdog1.JPG

Attachments

• Underdog8.JPG
    Underdog8.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Underdog9.JPG
    Underdog9.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 72
  • Underdog10.JPG
    Underdog10.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Cmass Underdog.JPG
    Cmass Underdog.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Waiting for Kevlar and elastic to sub for kit trifold and rubberband, therefore motor mount and fins are not attached.
Call the paint job "Redneck Backyard Special"
As much as I'm uncomfortable with self-adhesive decals those are all it wears. So far.
Hmm, make a display base with it up on blocks in front of a mobile home. There are model mobile homes for train layouts . . .

IMG_7981.jpg

Last edited:
Back