Estes BBIII, Mean Machine, AlphaVI now available

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by EXPjawa, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Jul 6, 2018 #1

EXPjawa

EXPjawa

EXPjawa

Title says it all. The reissued Black Brant III, Mean Machine, the Alpha VI have now all moved from their "Coming Soon" page to "What's New", and are shown as in-stock.

2. Jul 6, 2018 #2

DankMemes

DankMemes

DankMemes

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

Yes they have, couldn't pass up on that alpha VI ordered 2 of them, my first estes rocket was an Alpha III with the red nose and fin can almost 30 years ago, and still own in, the kit is still around although these days the nose and fins are day glow orange. I couldn't pass up a back to orginal red, and the metallic look just sets it off...

kicking around getting a Mean Machine for old times sake, especially now its a split body from the factory, although I think I'd still mod is so it comes down in pieces on separate chutes...

3. Jul 6, 2018 #3

EXPjawa

EXPjawa

EXPjawa

I did that with my last-generation Mean Machine. I replaced the disconnect coupler with a balsa nose block. Rear on an 18" chute, the front on a streamer seems to work the best for matching descent rates.

4. Jul 6, 2018 #4

DankMemes

DankMemes

DankMemes

pretty much what i was thinking, seems like a much gentler way to bring back over 6 feet of thin-walled rocket

5. Jul 6, 2018 #5

DankMemes

DankMemes

DankMemes

Although there's a lot to be said if i did leave the disconnect in there with a baffle behind it, because it woudl be load, click & shoot at the pad

6. Jul 7, 2018 #6

Mugs914

Mugs914

Mugs914

Had to look to see what an Alpha VI was... Going to have to get a couple of those! The old red Alpha III was the first rocket I ever built and the first I ever flew, though they were two different Alpha IIIs!

7. Jul 7, 2018 #7

DankMemes

DankMemes

DankMemes

The beauty of the Alpha III platform was it would and was designed to fly great on whatever motor you had rolling around your rangebox and could survive a hell of a beating... I’m sure many a rocketeer had a start or had this in there fleet early on

8. Jul 7, 2018 #8

DankMemes

DankMemes

DankMemes

Same here still have mine although it needs re-tubing to fly again safely

Attached Files:

9. Jul 7, 2018 #9

HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob

After tree-ing and ruining the Alpha III I picked up a year ago as my first rocket to fly since I was a kid.....I kinda like the idea of picking up that new one (or a couple) to shoot off in between the bigger rockets. That was always a fun one and, man, does it go on a C6!

10. Jul 7, 2018 #10

BEC

BEC

BEC

Indeed - I've been flying an Alpha III with a FireFly stuffed in the nose cone and I have recorded flights touching 1100 feet with it. I've been flying that one with a streamer just to improve the chances of keeping it on the field.

I am looking forward to picking up at least a couple of copies of the VI.

11. Jul 9, 2018 #11

dlrflyer1967

dlrflyer1967

dlrflyer1967

Hmm...C6-5 or C6-7 for this one? I’ve never braved more than a B in one of these. Alpha III are one tough bird and can easily handle fast streamer recovery.

12. Jul 9, 2018 #12

BEC

BEC

BEC

I went back through my recent logs....I got consistently higher altitudes using C6-7 over C6-5. That tells me the longer delay let the model coast long enough while the C6-5 was too short. It's rather hard to visually confirm that as an Alpha III at 1100+ feet (I have two flights just over 1200) is pretty hard to see clearly :)

13. Jul 9, 2018 #13

HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob

I definitely wouldn't recommend the C6 for small field launches. Love the idea of slapping a streamer on it too.

I only ever pushed it that far at club launches but it was so fun to see it go. I had also cut a spill hole into the chute in hopes of keeping it out of the trees but it was a particularly windy day when I sent it up. I did find it the next month but, unfortunately, it had rained quite a bit since then and the body tube was kinda mushy. It's still sitting on my desk though haha. Also, I salvaged the parachute and used it in a Der Red Max for a little while after the super cool crossbones chute got melted.