Estes Bail-Out Type Fin Can & Locking Ring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Garretson

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know where you can buy the same type of fin can and locking ring that was used in the Estes Bail Out (and others)?

I'm working on a scratch built BT-60 based Gemini Titan, and when I checked my parts bin yesterday, I noted that the fin can that I was going to use has one fin that's bent beyond acceptable use.

I guess I need to be more careful storing my stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Garretson

The Crayon and Freefall rockets use the same fin can, I believe the Crayons are OOP, but can still be found some places relatively cheap.
It looks like AC Supply has the Freefall in stock.
You may also consider making fins out of clear Lexan, it would give the Gemini Titan a more "scale" look.
I Hope this helps you out.

Thanks Malbar 70. I'll do a quick check at AC Supply and E-Bay to see which one I can find for the least amount of money.

I just bought some clear fins from eRockets for another project, but I may decide to go that route on my Gemini Titan. Haven't decided, but I like your suggestion.

Thanks again for the info.

I’ve had a lot of luck straightening bent fins on plastic fin cans by placing the fin in boiling water for a bit then holding it straight under a stream of cold water. I usually have to repeat two or three times to get it where I want but it works.

I ruined a fin can tonight dipping it in boiling water and leaving it in for to long. Turn the heat off, dip the fin in for a couple seconds and then check to see how soft it gets. Repeat this till pliable enough to bend straight.

Anyone who tries this please be careful and check your fins often.

Back