Estes B14

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Centuri Mini Max. 29 mm E and F BP motors, both end burners and core burners. Couldn't afford them, when I could, all there was were Enerjets.
'Big Boy'(!) engines, for Big Boy rockets and wallets. Our C6-7s, in 18mm airframes properly assembled and finished, put our rockets up high enough to make us happy that we could recover most of them. Oh, yeah: we would attempt to catch most of them, too, before they could land. . .

I would like to have higher thrust 18mm motors. I like to build BT60 rockets and some of them don't have much velocity off the rail with a standard B or C motor, but they do work a little better with the current C5 "Super C". I'm starting to build everything BT60 with 24mm mount.

But back to the past... I used a good amount of those B3 motors back in the day. I built an Astron Ranger in about 1967 or 1968 and launched it with heavy payloads using B3 motors. I think they were great for that.

I was reading some old Estes documents this afternoon and they talked about friction fitting engines. The document said you needed to have enough friction to resist up to 16 pounds, this exact number, so the document said to put the motor in and then push on the motor with 16 pounds and verify that it doesn't move. (The reasoning was not fully correct because all of the peak thrust would not go from the motor to the rocket, part of it would act to accelerate the mass of the motor itself.)

Purely as a thought question: could someone buy a stock of Estes C motors, drill out the core to match the old B14 motors, and get them recertified?
Maybe. I know of a user that claimed to have cored C6 motors and flew them, but that is a violation of the safety code. I have always thought that a company like Apogee could buy Estes C6 motors and re manufacture them into core burning motors, and get them certified. So tecnically yes, but practically no.

Maybe. I know of a user that claimed to have cored C6 motors and flew them, but that is a violation of the safety code. I have always thought that a company like Apogee could buy Estes C6 motors and re manufacture them into core burning motors, and get them certified. So tecnically yes, but practically no.

Many people did try that, but it is "really unsafe" to do so. When it was demonstrated it was un-safe [someone having that unsafe moment] they quit.

I "THINK" it is also the reason Estes stopped drilling them also.

Many people did try that, but it is "really unsafe" to do so. When it was demonstrated it was un-safe [someone having that unsafe moment] they quit.

I "THINK" it is also the reason Estes stopped drilling them also.
I think Estes could drill them more safely than anyone else. Still, there is relentless demand for those legacy motors, regardless of safety.

I think Estes could drill them more safely than anyone else. Still, there is relentless demand for those legacy motors, regardless of safety.
I would think a person could figure this out pretty easily.
However the big problem is you will end up turning a $3 motor into a $9 motor. I think a reliable core-burning 24mm E would be useful.

I would think a person could figure this out pretty easily.
However the big problem is you will end up turning a $3 motor into a $9 motor. I think a reliable core-burning 24mm E would be useful.

The FSI 27mm E60 was reliable during the times that George Roose was making them, later when the Reese Brothers made them they and the F100 turned into CATO motors

I got an A division Mercury Dual Egg Loft USA record on that motor in 1975

Want a deep cored BP rocket .motor? Take one from a skyrocket firework. Only problem is they are slow 60/30/10 BP vs Fast Estes 75/15/10 BP. But they do have a thrust curve like the old B14.

In fact, since Vern Estes was a fireworks manufacturer prior to him starting Estes, I'm sure this is where he got the B14 idea in the 1st place.

The old Coaster BP motors were also originally BP skyrocket motors. It had a big deep core.

Back