Estes - (Astron) Gyroc (K-24 or #1224) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Over the years i've built several size Gyrocs. From the original to a 3X upscale.. but never had much luck with the things.
Seems no matter how lightly I built or got the fin tabs to work the helicopter recovery always landed with the Nose Stuck in the ground at least an 1" or so.
Not to bad in soft grass fields but hard packed summer fields did in most after just a couple flights.

Sometime mid 80's someone suggested perhaps adding a 3rd fin "might" help lower the recovery speed. A couple tries later mine still don't recovery all that softly but at least doesn't crimp the tube so badly.
thought I'd try a Micro version to see if that would be soft enough to bring the Gyroc down without sticking staight up in the grass or ground.
NOPE! even this TINY 4.2gram T2+ size model comes in pretty fast and sticks stright up in the grass or ground. Spins really well but I guess it's something I'm doing? A fun flyer anyway.

Post copied with permission

MM 261lp01_MM Gyroc 3fin on pad(128dpi)_07-15-06.jpg

MM 261Lp08a-sm_MM Gyroc on pad_10-20-07.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes (Astron) Gyroc (K-24 or #1224) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes (Astron) Gyroc (K-24 or #1224) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

BMS: Gyroc: K24
Estes: (Astron) Gyroc: K-24 or #1224
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW): Gyroc Tri-Fin: #284
Thrustline: Gyroc: TACL-009

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Gyroc (K-24 or #1224) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Gyroc Also known as: Gyroc

NUMBER: K-24 or #1224

Introduced: 1965
Final Year: 1983
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Helicopter
Stages: 1
Length: 9.75"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 0.58 oz

Mfg. Description: Sky-high performance, plus a unique, dependable recovery system, make this model a perfect addition to your rocket fleet. With light weight and streamlined design, the Gyroc soars to amazing altitudes. Helicopter recovery brings it back gently, close to the launcher. A $1.25 value, the Gyroc is available only as a free bonus when you order $5.00 or more of other kits and supplies. (Estes 1967 Catalog)

=====

This rocket did not appear in the 1968 Catalog.

=====

Excellent performance and amazing recovery system make the unique Gyroc a "bird" you'll want to own. Its unusual design gives this rocket the ability to reach high altitudes and return safely with helicopter rocovery for minimum drift with wind. Comes complete with all instructions and parts. Engines not included. (Estes 1969 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-gyroc%20k24-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1967 Catalog
estes-gyroc%20k24-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog
estes-gyroc%20k24-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog

estes-gyroc%20k24-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-gyroc%20k24-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog

estes-gyroc%20k24-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog
estes-gyroc%20k24-1974%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1974 Catalog

estes-gyroc%20k24-1977%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1977 Catalog
estes-gyroc%20k24-1978%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1978 Catalog

estes-gyroc%20k24-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1980 Catalog
estes-gyroc%20k24-1981%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1981 Catalog

estes-gyroc%20k24-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1982 Catalog
estes-gyroc%20k24-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1983 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-gyroc%20k24-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW (Estes) Gyroc Tri-Fin (#284) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: Gyroc Tri-Fin Also known as:

NUMBER: #284

Introduced: 2002
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x6mm or 1x10.5mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

mmww-(estes)%20gyroc%20trifin%20284-plan%20livery.jpg

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20gyroc%20trifin%20284-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Thrustline Gyroc (TACL-009) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Gyroc Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-009

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Clone
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

thrustline-gyroc%20tacl009-2008%20web%20livery.jpg
Thrustline 2008 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Built from the BMS Clone Kit

2012-04-22-SCRA-0036.jpg

Launched on a 1/2A6-2 - Good flight!

2012-04-22-SCRA-0044.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
BMS Gyroc (K24) Basic Information.

bms.gif
Balsa Machining Service (BMS)

MODEL NAME: Gyroc Also known as:

NUMBER: K24

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Helicopter, Clone
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description:

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
This Gyroc is an up scale to BT 55, hand turned nose cone, rear ejection motor mount and uses brass hinges in place of the traditional vinyl type. The flap retainers are mounted on the motor mount which also sports an 8'x 2" streamer. Not much is traditional here except for the basic design. Even the paint job spells Rock-n-Roll.

DSCF3246.JPG

The other side with some flaps showing.

DSCF3248.JPG

Last edited:
Nice build there, Gary. That paint job would not have been my first thought—I like it. Well done.

I know you mentioned it's a BT-55. What are it's dimensions? It's hard to get a sense of the upscale with that Centerfold shot. Again, nice work.

Let us know how she flies when you have an opportunity—if you would, please. Cheers!

I know you mentioned it's a BT-55. What are it's dimensions? It's hard to get a sense of the upscale with that Centerfold shot.

Thanks man. It measures 17" tall and has a 10" fin span.

Ditto, Gary. I'm especially interested in how well those "flap retainers" work out.

As you already know, I tested them yesterday by hooking up the tension bands and physically pulling the motor mount out and the flaps worked perfectly. The retainers appear to be doing their job and it took very little effort to remove the motor mount. This is one I could possibly take down to the ball field and launch it with a B motor just to see how it operates on it's own.

re-post, post-TRF-uprade, prior post seems to be lacking attachment

UPDATE: prior post looks like it was fixed, Hurray for the new TRF!

Attachments

• DSC_7635.jpg
    DSC_7635.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Welcome to the Estes (Astron) Gyroc (K-24 or #1224) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes (Astron) Gyroc (K-24 or #1224) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

BMS: Gyroc: K24
Estes: (Astron) Gyroc: K-24 or #1224
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW): Gyroc Tri-Fin: #284
Thrustline: Gyroc: TACL-009

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Back when I started building Estes rockets, mid '60s, the Gyroc was always given to you as a free bonus kit whenever you ordered the kit you really wanted. I always suspected the Gyroc was a dud of a seller so Estes "generously" gave them away to get rid of their stock. Given the stories here of its lack of success confirms my suspicions.

P.S. After looking at the design and the complexities of the elastic threads and the folding wings, I never even gave it a try. Out into the trash they always went.

Given the stories here of its lack of success confirms my suspicions.
I had two or three free kits that I built and launched. The first two flew off at a 45 deg. angle right after they left the launch rod. Both lost in the forest of trees next to the schoolyard. Third one flew straighter, and was recovered. I painted an orange and white "barber shop pole" pattern on it to see it rotating down. Very cool.
P.S. See how much your "free" kit is going for now on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-GYRO...167948?hash=item5d9191288c:g:bcgAAOSwGblc9EhF
"I used to be a millionaire, until my mom threw all my comic books in the trash"
:D

I had two or three free kits that I built and launched. The first two flew off at a 45 deg. angle right after they left the launch rod. Both lost in the forest of trees next to the schoolyard. Third one flew straighter, and was recovered. I painted an orange and white "barber shop pole" pattern on it to see it rotating down. Very cool.
P.S. See how much your "free" kit is going for now on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Estes-GYRO...167948?hash=item5d9191288c:g:bcgAAOSwGblc9EhF
"I used to be a millionaire, until my mom threw all my comic books in the trash"
:D

Ahh, if only my modelling skills had been not so limited. And my closet full of stuff, bigger. Wish I'd have kept my Camroc as well...

Last edited:
Heck, the recently-released Tazz should be included in this gallery.IMG_2418.JPGIMG_2401 2.jpgIMG_2440_V2F_2020-02-09_12-51-44_023 2.PNG

I loved the Gyroc—really simple to prep (just put the motor in) and nice slow descent. It was a challenge to get everything straight and flat enough to get a straight boost, but not impossible.

This particular Tazz works really well.

Heck, the recently-released Tazz should be included in this gallery.View attachment 406768View attachment 406769View attachment 406770

I loved the Gyroc—really simple to prep (just put the motor in) and nice slow descent. It was a challenge to get everything straight and flat enough to get a straight boost, but not impossible.

This particular Tazz works really well.

Heck---the Tazz IS a Gyroc from the fin line on down!! (Still don't think I want to tackle it...)

...well, it's actually an upscale. The Gyroc was BT-20-based. The Tazz is BT-50. The Gyroc repro that Semroc/eRockets is selling now (see GlenP's posts above) is the original size or very close to it. It, like the Tazz, rear-ejects a motor pod with its own streamer. To do that the Semroc one now uses 13mm motors rather than the original Gyroc's 18mm (which the Tazz uses).

The Tazz addresses the weak points of the original Gyroc in using a different, likely more durable hinge material (on both sides of the joint, not just one), and small, replaceable rubber bands going to plastic hooks in place of the original elastic thread of the Gyroc.

The Semroc Gyroc also tries to address these points by using Tyvek for the hinge and an arrangement for replaceable rubber bands as well.

Back