Estes Astron Explorer Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the red and silver! I destroyed this R2 1st on the second flight. I absentmindedly put wadding in it: side tube popped at apogee. The chute never deployed. I had switched the front and rear tube on this one, and I added to the fins which did nothing but add weight. I just built a new one true to the design but similar to the old one's paint. Still being painted. This time on R2 2nd, I painted the side tubes before gluing them on. I kept the original nosecone from R2 1st, my wife did a great job painting it i thought. Its a fun one!

Attachments

• R2 1st.jpg
    R2 1st.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 68
  • R2 2nd.jpg
    R2 2nd.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 69
I am building one of these. This thread is being used as a guideline and it is very helpful, thanks. Progress is being posted on the "what I did rocket wise today."

I wonder if the side tubing are supposed to have remnants of the clay packing which is used to store the ejection charge, i shook some of it out but i cant get the larger pieces out, tell me this is not a bad thing ....

My only experience with this is that my Centurion has a baffle. When you shake the rocket, it makes noise. I call it my rattle rocket. You can't shake the noise out of the rocket. I assume this is the same issue. I speculate that there could be enough accumulation of the stuff to change the CG or interfere with the ejection process. I will weigh my Explorer when it is finished. I could periodically weigh it and see if it changes. Mostly I am inclined not to be too concerned. Like Alfred E. Newman said...

Last edited:
When you shake the rocket, it makes noise.

Since the 24mm mount isn't too much smaller than the body tube, I hold it mount down and give it a couple long shakes up and down. Usually dislodges Aerotech ejection caps and random clay debris.

Thanks for all the advise everyone - it really helps alot!!

How did you put the decals on the fins (if you did) - it looks kinda scary to try and stradle the sticker over the leading fin edge, and try to peel paper away.

How 'bout sliding the decal fully on one side of the fin, then sliding it over the leading edge thusly? :

astron-explorer.jpg

Theyre pretty easy to slide around when theyre initially wet. I put the point of the decal on the fin ridge, slid the backing paper out from under it, repositioned as necessary, then firmly pressed it down flat

Theyre pretty easy to slide around when theyre initially wet. I put the point of the decal on the fin ridge, slid the backing paper out from under it, repositioned as necessary, then firmly pressed it down flat
Agree.

If you wet the surface (I use Micro-set, but water will do) first, you will have some opportunity to adjust the decal position (gently) after applying. I do try to get it close to the target position on the first try, but generally don't worry about getting it perfect.

Small decals are easier to adjust than large ones. I would rate those as on the small side, shouldn't be too hard.

That's a great color choice - goes great w the decals - beautiful rocket!

I use a drop of dawn in pretty warm water. I've had many decals (smaller even) fold onto itself in some situations. When this happens, the decal is history - I rarely recovered them.

I now have the ability to make new decals, so if something happens, I can recreate it closely enough.

Thank you

It was a fun build, I got it for only $8 on an Estes sale. We built it stock, with only a slightly different shade of blue. First was was just right on a D12-3. I may do an E11-3 next. I bought E12s for it, but I'm a bit hesitant to use them.

View attachment 414221

My Astron Explorer is painted after this young mans! He looks proud, like I do! :p

build11.jpg

Added an Apogee coupler right above engine mount. It is a fairly light weight coupler tho...

Decals went on fairly well. Very fun build!

I ended up painting sections separately - work pretty good - would do again. I marked the inside of the main tube ends and put a mark on the jig to match. I used the top white/blue paint transition on the small tubes to align to the top main tube. Shine a light down the tubes to make sure everything aligns up. Blue and Froggy taped used - can you guess which is used where!?! :p

1611932922372.png

Back