Estes - (Astron) Cherokee D (K-47 or #1247) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing that bugs me about the decals on this model is that the roll pattern wrap decal puts the Estes logos facing the same way (as each other) on both sides. So, when wrapped, the logo is upside down in relation to the other text on one side (like you've shown it). I wish when I'd built my 2.5" upscale that I'd thought to cut the logo out of the wrap and apply it separately, so it was orientated upright. I was looking at the rocket the other day and that detail was bugging me. I might just get Mark to cut another one for me next I place an order for some vinyl work and just peel this logo off.

I actually just built a Semroc Cherokee-C, an 18mm downscale kit. Oddly, they don't show it on their site anymore, though it was there late last year when I ordered it. I need to paint yet, so no pictures that are worth anything at this point. However, they modified the basic design to incorporate a payload section, so it splits below the wrap decal. I'm not sure what its good for, but I guess an Altimeter 1/2/3 might fit.

Would you mind sharing that .ork file?

That was before I finished it... How about this one that has all three fins with their unique decals? (Hint: Look under the first image's fins, then look at the matching one below.)

To get the decals right, I needed to add a few things (namely three extra fins at a slight offset). To get accurate flight info, you'll need to delete the extra fins. Presuming of course that the engine hook doesn't monkey things up either (Yes, I simmed the engine hook too).

View attachment Estes Cherokee D (Long)(Stock).ork

Last edited:
I had my first Cherokee-D very soon after they came out. It was Estes's early D powered model. I flew mine a LOT! Mostly D13-7's. The one in the photo is a new Semrock clone.

Attachments

• zUbtdBfGRD+Tnxw1ZkxQhQ.jpg
    zUbtdBfGRD+Tnxw1ZkxQhQ.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 54
Anybody have a closeup of their fins?

I'm starting the Semroc version now. Instructions suggest rounding leading and trailing edges. I wonder if that's a suggestion that goes into all Semroc kits.

I almost always shape my fins into airfoils or rounded edges, because I like the way it looks. But sometimes, I feel a rocket looks more "right" if the edges are square (for me, Der Red Max is one of those, for example). I kind of feel like this is one of those, but I'm having a hard time deciding what look I prefer.

Can anybody post some fin pics for me? Thanks!

I'm starting the Semroc version now. Instructions suggest rounding leading and trailing edges. I wonder if that's a suggestion that goes into all Semroc kits.

I almost always shape my fins into airfoils or rounded edges, because I like the way it looks. But sometimes, I feel a rocket looks more "right" if the edges are square (for me, Der Red Max is one of those, for example). I kind of feel like this is one of those, but I'm having a hard time deciding what look I prefer.

I can do better than fin pics!!!
Yesterday my MIB, Damon era, Cherokee-D (K-47/1247) arrived in China. The die cut fins are :wos_love:*GORGEOUS* :wos_love:. Sadly, however, I had work instead of play, so I wasn't able to get them scanned. On my Monday (likely your Sunday evening), early, I will be going out and getting the fins for this, and the Estes Magician (2440)(w/balsa nosecone) that arrived with it, scanned with a ruler!!!

All The Best!
Jim

Last edited:
And now the debate is over... The Damon era, Estes Cherokee-D K-47/#1247's die-cut fins are unquestionably larger than the laser cut fins for the Cherokee-E/Magician (2440) (except they're thinner).

The Cherokee-D fin in that previous scan was the fin taken from the middle of this scan:

Last edited:

I think a good airfoil can be put on these fins... sharp on the trailing edge, rounded on the leading.... outside edge flat. May not be the best situation drag wise.... fortunately 1/8" balsa (I *assume* it's that) shapes easily. I'd probably go for it if I had that kit! That said, I did pick up the Cherokee G from the forum special (which I have not started yet I'm ashamed to say... exterior forces at work here!) and since those are plywood fins, they sure-as-heck-by are not getting airfoiled as I just don't want to work that hard!

Balsa/Basswood lends itself easily to this sort of thing. I put a nice, circular arc airfoil on my Estes IRIS (3/32" original thickness balsa) BUT it does make the fins a bit more fragile as they became very thin in the end. I've repaired missing chunks numerous times but it can be a challenge because of the paint job and decals the IRIS has.

I think a good airfoil can be put on these fins... sharp on the trailing edge, rounded on the leading.... outside edge flat. May not be the best situation drag wise.... fortunately 1/8" balsa (I *assume* it's that) shapes easily. I'd probably go for it if I had that kit! That said, I did pick up the Cherokee G from the forum special (which I have not started yet I'm ashamed to say... exterior forces at work here!) and since those are plywood fins, they sure-as-heck-by are not getting airfoiled as I just don't want to work that hard!

Balsa/Basswood lends itself easily to this sort of thing. I put a nice, circular arc airfoil on my Estes IRIS (3/32" original thickness balsa) BUT it does make the fins a bit more fragile as they became very thin in the end. I've repaired missing chunks numerous times but it can be a challenge because of the paint job and decals the IRIS has.
I've found in just a small shop/workplace(which is what I have) that marking and then filing the ply fins works pretty good with much less effort than just trying to sand

My slightly modified Estes Cherokee-E. As I understand this is something only available at Hobby Lobby. Added 2" x .5" stabilizer fins to the front of the rocket after reading review suggestions. I inverted the tail fins because I like the look better and skinned them with .010 styrene. I also swapped the retainer clip with a retainer ring. I went more minimal on the decals and change the locations to fit better with the design mods. I airbrushed the top fins, the nose cone, and an accent fin with Vallejo blue as it matched the decals perfectly and rattle-canned the rest with a Rust-Oleum flat white. I added 5 coats of Rust-Oleum 2x gloss clear coat over the entire rocket.

IMG_1688.jpeg

Last edited:
Back