Estes AstroCam Lens Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkTheDaring

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After a very muddy day of launch my AstroCam videos were coming out black. I found that mud had totally covered the lens. After considerable effort with lens cleaner, cloth and air blower, I have muddy video. I'm thinking of opening the case and seeing if the lens is replaceable or maybe I can clean it more thoroughly. I have nothing to lose as it's not usable as is.

Has anyone else done this?

If its the new version of the AstroCam, the lens is part of the camera itself since its using a fully integrated smartphone type camera. Additionally, the plastic housing is basically one piece, so unless you have a 3D printed housing on hand there would be no way to put it back together.

That said, if the mud haven't soaked into between the lens and the sensor, then you could try putting it into a ultrasonic cleaner with deionized water, and that might fix it up. If there's too much mud then taking the housing apart might still be required.

If its the new version of the AstroCam, the lens is part of the camera itself since its using a fully integrated smartphone type camera. Additionally, the plastic housing is basically one piece, so unless you have a 3D printed housing on hand there would be no way to put it back together.

That said, if the mud haven't soaked into between the lens and the sensor, then you could try putting it into a ultrasonic cleaner with deionized water, and that might fix it up. If there's too much mud then taking the housing apart might still be required.
Thanks, I had no trouble getting mine apart, and I can snap it back together, but dealing with that little lens without damaging the cable may be beyond what my shaky hands can do. I've ordered 2 cheap spy cams (for the price of one Astrocam) and I'll live with those while I think about how to best deal with the lens/camera of the Astrocm.

Back