Quantcast

Estes Astrocam---Current-Day Iteration--Any Good??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tfrielin

Reaction score
I just noticed from the Estes website that there is a new (to me, anyway) iteration of the Astrocam and it uses a memory card---Not the 126 film that the last iteration used when I last flew it, gosh, going on twenty years ago, maybe.

So, what's the verdict on this one? Does the memory card/camera take a video? Or just a still shot?

How's the quality of this version? I mean the rocket's construction. The film version rocket from circa late '90s/early'00s was really cheap and the nose cone/camera almost always separated from the rocket body to the point I finally wised up and just threw away the shock cord and chute, upgrading it before flying it. Even so, I never got many shots out of that one and am interested in knowing how this new version compares.

P.S. I got more good shots out of my 1970s Camroc than I ever did with the 126 version Astrocam. But, back then, I had access to a professional darkroom and could do it all myself. Sure wish I could do that today...

K'Tesh

OpenRocket Chuck Norris
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It does videos in a look down manner (the old 110 versions were look forward)... From what I've seen on FB the videos are good, and I haven't heard anyone complaining about them, other that when they manage to park one in a tree.

Scott_650

Reaction score
The only negative thing I’ve seen is that the rocket itself isn’t all that rugged, which, considering that it’s an E2X kit intended for younger folks as a gateway rocket, isn’t a big surprise. Estes is going to sell just the rocket/cam combo without the rest of the starter set gear - AC Supply has the #7308 stand-alone rocket listed as “Coming Soon” for $29.99. Having a proprietary nose cone made specifically to hold the 808-style cam is a nice feature, you could always build your own BT50 carrier rocket.