Quantcast

Estes as % of LPR model kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tmazanec1

Reaction score
Does Estes make as many as half of all the currently made LPR model kits, either by number or model?

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Estes vs all others combined? I don't think so.

I'm sure I missed some, but
Fliskits
Squirrel Works
Semroc (eRocket)
Rocketarium
ASP
True Modelers
US Rockets
Custom
Dr. Zooch
Launch Pad
NewWay
Sunward
Quest
Skymodel

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
At the same time, estes probably does sell the majority of the kits sold. I mean, if you look at it, you don't see fliskits or semroc when you go into micheals. You see Estes.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
At the same time, estes probably does sell the majority of the kits sold. I mean, if you look at it, you don't see fliskits or semroc when you go into micheals. You see Estes.
Agreed - in terms of sheer quantity I would agree Estes holds the lion share
In terms of the number of different kits, then the other manufacturer's combined outweighs Estes.... (guestimate- have not counted up all of the offerings)

Initiator001

Reaction score
In terms of sales percentage Estes is number one with 90% of all model rocket/LPR sales in the country.

The number one state for model rocket sales: California.

(This was true back in the late 1980s-early 1990s. I have no reason to believe this has changed).

watermelonman

Reaction score
Forget the numbers and consider mindshare. At more than one club I attend, the low power racks are literally called "Estes pads", for better or worse.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
Randy at eRockets says that he has about 800 different rocket kits in stock. Most are LPR. We hold our weekly club meetings at eRockets. Looking at the Estes kits as I walk by every week I would say he has about 100 different kits on the wall. So Estes has a very small percentage of what is out there (less than 20%). On the other hand. I agree with the others that they probably account for most of the LPR kits that are sold.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
The number one state for model rocket sales: California.
(This was true back in the late 1980s-early 1990s. I have no reason to believe this has changed).
That is interesting.
With all the hoops I had to go through in the early 1970s to get an engine permit.
But, that was the 1970s, before some regulations were lifted.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
Never seen anybody's kit other than Estes at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, local hobby stores, etc. I don't know about retail to know why other kit manufacturers do not explore the big chain markets. Probably something to do with quantity vs. profit.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Never seen anybody's kit other than Estes at Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, local hobby stores, etc. I don't know about retail to know why other kit manufacturers do not explore the big chain markets. Probably something to do with quantity vs. profit.
Same here even most hobby shops carry only Estes, at least the few real brick and mortar shops I have been to.

iqsy59

Reaction score
Estes vs all others combined? I don't think so.

I'm sure I missed some, but
Fliskits
Squirrel Works
Semroc (eRocket)
Rocketarium
ASP
True Modelers
US Rockets
Custom
Dr. Zooch
Launch Pad
NewWay
Sunward
Quest
Skymodel
Please please please tell me you know something I don't know regarding True Modeler's (TMRK). Are they/will they be producing their kits again?

Cheers,
Michael

cvanc

Reaction score
If I remember correctly Holverson had his kits in one (or more?) of the big chains back in the day... I think it might have been a Hobby Lobby I saw them at? Anyway it didn't last too long; maybe one year...

bob jablonski

Reaction score
There are a ton of different kits and manufactures, But Estes sells more then all the other manufacturers combined in the total number of kits sold. Look at how many kits they sell on there sales. The last year of Starlight I sold over 10,000 kits and Estes sold more then that in just bulk packs to scout troops in one season. And talking to Carl when he was still here. he told me when he released a kit he would sell 50-100 really fast then they would trickle out after that, so they had to constantly have to release kits to make a living.

tmazanec1

Reaction score
Well, when I was in it, Estes and Centuri were like Hertz and Avis or Coke and Pepsi.

bob jablonski

Reaction score
And a number of small companys. Think FSI, Semrock. MPC, Cox, and other small cottage manufacturers

Mugs914

"A crummy commercial..!!??"
Reaction score
When I was a kid ALL model rockets were known generically as "estes rockets". Actually heard one guy say he preferred the Centuri estes rockets...

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
When I was a kid ALL model rockets were known generically as "estes rockets". Actually heard one guy say he preferred the Centuri estes rockets...
That's like how some regional dialects refer to all sodas as "Cokes." "What kind of Coke do you want?" "I'll have a root beer, thanks."

Fred Garvin

Male Strumpet
Reaction score
That's like how some regional dialects refer to all sodas as "Cokes." "What kind of Coke do you want?" "I'll have a root beer, thanks."
Yep...."Grab me a Coke please"

"Sure, what do you want?"

"Sprite"

Unless you want a Dr Pepper....then it's "Grab me a Dr Pepper please".

Mugs914

"A crummy commercial..!!??"
Reaction score
Ha ha! Brings back memories...

"I'm gunna git me a grape cocola, y'all wan' anythang?"

neil_w

Working on 20K
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Now we have the Estes Centuri, just to confuse matters (a nice kit by the way)