Estes and Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clustering made more sense when I used to do this hobby and the biggest motors Estes made were Cs and Ds and the only other choice was the FSI F-one-oh-BOOM! I flew a lot of clustered models back then using Flashbulb ignition as taught to me by Herb Desind at a Goddard Space Flight Center public launch. Now I prefer a larger single motor.

Yeah, I tried a 7x13 A10-PTs in the back of a Baby Bertha in OR and it hits 63.9g max. Fun to figure out how to get the fins to stay on without neutering it. But it looks like making the central motor an A3-6T would be close to ideal on delay time and would shave some accel off it. Maybe go 3 and 4 on the motor selection? Could sure burn up a lot of little motors getting it all dialed in. 7x13 A10-PTs handing off to a 24mm C/D/E or even a C6-7 looks like fun, too.
You could experiment with venting four of the tubes through the gaps between them and the body tube - or through the side of the body tube like I'm having to do with one of my 18mm clusters - so you wouldn't be hostage to the fickle supply of PT motors. Of course in a small lightweight rocket, seven A3s will get up and scoot even without a few A10s in the mix.

(I have a healthy supply of A10-PTs on hand simply because their availability is so uneven.)

About the only area Quest HASN'T put out are zero delay booster motors. I understand that is because of the core burning rather than end burning geometry makes core burning zero delay impractical if not impossible. I don't know if an end-burning composite is practical and even if so, not sure the "niche" is large enough to make it worth producing. Aside from this (and I guess 13mm motors), Estes still has a competitor in the LPR spectrum, so they can't go too crazy with their prices. Some of these price increases may be simple inflation, bread and milk are costing more too:(
End-burning composite motors have existed for many decades.

The AeroTech E6 and F10 motors (Now sold exclusively through Apogee Components) are end-burning composite motors.
The issue is that composite motors cannot be direct staged like black powder motors. Composite motors require heat AND pressure to be ignited.

Even among non-Estes kit vendors, who have no stake in the motor business, cluster models are a very small minority.
Motor clustering was more common in the early days of the hobby when the largest motor easily available was a 'B'.
To lift larger rockets/heavier payloads a modeler had to cluster motors.

Today with a wide variety of model rocketry motors up 'G' in performance clustering is no longer required.

True, but Quest is putting out some pretty decent composites in the 18 and 24 (and now I think 29?) mm sizes, the reviews so far I have seen for the 18 and 24 mm motors suggests they perform for the most part as well or better than the BP motors (although @Ronz Rocketz seems to have more than his share of CATOs and broken nozzles.)

About the only area Quest HASN'T put out are zero delay booster motors. I understand that is because of the core burning rather than end burning geometry makes core burning zero delay impractical if not impossible. I don't know if an end-burning composite is practical and even if so, not sure the "niche" is large enough to make it worth producing. Aside from this (and I guess 13mm motors), Estes still has a competitor in the LPR spectrum, so they can't go too crazy with their prices. Some of these price increases may be simple inflation, bread and milk are costing more too:(

If Estes really wants to make more money, they coooouuuld release a C5-0 and a bunch of heftier two stagers (or re-release the MIRV...... I know, don't get me started....grrrrrr.) Get everybody out there burning two motors for every flight. KaChing!
Apologies to everyone else for my flurry of incoming replies. EDIT: Oops! Looks like I’ve been beaten to the punch on everything I wrote, and was thinking of writing. Oh well.

End-burning composites are possible, they’re just sold as reloads without ejection charges. I suspect that composite propellant doesn’t burn quite as fast as black powder at end-burning pressures, which would explain why you see moderate-to-fast propellant like Blue Thunder or Warp 9 in them. Take a look at AeroTech’s C3.4T or their I40N to get an idea of how these function. They are indeed pretty niche.

Multistaging also seems to be a “for the fun of it” thing with a serviceable but still pretty small market. There’s a reason you don’t see a full line of booster motors anymore, although I agree that the C5-0 is pretty sorely needed on some of these heavier rockets.

Currently the Q-Jet by AeroTech line only goes up to 24mm. Everything 29mm and up is Enerjet by AeroTech or AeroTech proper. Or CTI and other manufacturers, but that’s another story entirely.

Last edited:
I can't imagine asking a rocketeer to spend $20+ for a lunch using "old school" BP engines. Sure, there'd be some buyers, but I don't think there'd be very many.
Well, as Robert Heinlein used to quote, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

I'm also eagerly awaiting the promised core-burning high-thrust E
I second the motion.

The Estes 29mm motors would even better if they had a little more average thrust/ peak thrust. This is especially true for booster motors-- you can use a composite to get higher thrust for a single-stage rocket, but the only way to get a reliable direct-staging multi-stager is to use black powder.

I finished a 167% upscale Astron Avenger (BT70 and BT60) this year and hoped to fly it with an E16-0/ E16-6, but it is 2 ounces too heavy to fly as a 2-stager.

Just push the BP motor of your choice up into the motor tube far enough to induce Krushnic Effect... viola! No thrust, but all the smoke and awe.

that sounds cool, but that wouldn't reduce the cost of the motor. my layman's thinking is that one might produce a 'vanity' compound using lower cost and less volatile materials, lighter casing, and less material/lower packing pressure to produce a plume of colored smoke. i imagine an interceptor with added boosters making a trail of red, white, and blue smoke as it ascends. or a roc with a spindle around the bodytube with a booster at each end, spinning and making a corkscrew spiral of smoke. i believe that might produce some oohs and ahhs.

I second the motion.

The Estes 29mm motors would even better if they had a little more average thrust/ peak thrust. This is especially true for booster motors-- you can use a composite to get higher thrust for a single-stage rocket, but the only way to get a reliable direct-staging multi-stager is to use black powder.

I finished a 167% upscale Astron Avenger (BT70 and BT60) this year and hoped to fly it with an E16-0/ E16-6, but it is 2 ounces too heavy to fly as a 2-stager.
Aren't these Estes 29mm pretty much unobtanium?

Aren't these Estes 29mm pretty much unobtanium?
Per Estes customer support when I asked about them earlier in the autumn, Estes had a supply chain issue with the cardboard casings used in the 29mm motors. They had hoped to have this resolved and be shipping motors by some time in December. Clearly they aren't shipping yet, but maybe soon?

All of the 29mm motors are now out of stock at Estes, but AC Supply has most of them in stock. The F15-0 is out of stock nearly everywhere though (I found one vendor who has them but charges a sharp premium).

You could experiment with venting four of the tubes through the gaps between them and the body tube - or through the side of the body tube like I'm having to do with one of my 18mm clusters - so you wouldn't be hostage to the fickle supply of PT motors.
depending on field rules, you can always go with A10-0T or A10-3T and just do motor eject. Also some including me defer this if there is high brushfire risk, kind of like Sparky motors.

Easier than venting (and actually may give you a bit of extra altitude due to decreased weight and possible Newton’s law for ejected mass (ejection charge or charges will “kick” the rocket a bit forward.)

Make a courteous try to find the casings, but again depending on field rules if you miss a 13mm casing, it’s biodegradable so IMO not a big deal (again check field rules.)

The only NAR rule AGAINST motor eject is for competition. In sport flying it is not prohibited.

They are a little more durable in the environment and don't fall apart as fast as the treated TP from Estes or dog barf.
I personally would feel a little guilty if I used those recovery options. But then again, I hate using anything that gets ejected from the rocket and can potentially be lost...even if it is biodegradable.

But I'm in the minority, so you do you.

I personally would feel a little guilty if I used those recovery options. But then again, I hate using anything that gets ejected from the rocket and can potentially be lost...even if it is biodegradable.

But I'm in the minority, so you do you.

I'm a baffle user for that exact same reason.

Motor clustering was more common in the early days of the hobby when the largest motor easily available was a 'B'.
To lift larger rockets/heavier payloads a modeler had to cluster motors.
That's when I started clustering. I still have the Astron Ranger that I built 56 years ago.

If Estes really wants to make more money, they coooouuuld release a C5-0 and a bunch of heftier two stagers (or re-release the MIRV...... I know, don't get me started....grrrrrr.) Get everybody out there burning two motors for every flight. KaChing!
The current Estes C5-3 motor has wimpy performance/total impulse compared to C5 motors made in the 1970s/80s/90s.
There was also a C5-0 motor back then.
Since the quality of black powder Estes has been using the last several years has a lower ISP than black powder in the past perhaps Estes is waiting until they get the GOEX plant up and running and can fine tune the black powder for better performance in their rocket motors. 🤔

It has been rumored/theorized/reported that Estes discontinued their well liked PSII line from a few years ago (MDRM, Leviathan, Argent, etc.) because their PSII motors weren't selling well enough to support keeping it (many were buying other brand motors instead).
When the Estes Pro Series II (PSII) product line was released ten years ago it went over like a lead balloon.
The kits were fine but not particularly impressive. The kicker was the Suggested Retail Price (SRP) of these models which was $60-$70 each.
Estes sells through hobby distributors who a get a discounted price (Usually 50% or more discount off of SRP) on the product to then turn around and sell it to hobby shops at a modestly higher price (40% discount off of SRP).
Estes has to make it's money on sales to hobby distributors at 50% discount and not the end consumer who buys the model.
In addition, Estes contracted AeroTech to make motors for this product line (The motors were relabeled by Estes). Smaller profit in selling these motors.
Finally, the new owners of Estes (Hobbico) expected that the PSII kits would sell as many as 5000 a year. This did not happen.
That's when Estes cancelled further development of the PSII line and sold off the remaining stock at fire-sale prices.
It was at this point that the PSII kits became 'popular'.

Estes would try again with their PSII E2X products and their own 29mm black powder motors.

The current Estes C5-3 motor has wimpy performance/total impulse compared to C5 motors made in the 1970s/80s/90s.
There was also a C5-0 motor back then.
Since the quality of black powder Estes has been using the last several years has a lower ISP than black powder in the past perhaps Estes is waiting until they get the GOEX plant up and running and can fine tune the black powder for better performance in their rocket motors. 🤔
Wow, must have been a great motor!

Not having seen the priors (or at least I don’t remember them;)) I find the C5-3 a nice go-to when I can’t upgrade a mount to 24mm.

Not a motor making expert by any means, but it seems like it shouldn’t be THAT hard to make a C5-0 now, it’s just a C5-3 without the delay, ejection charge, and clay cap.

If they later upgrade the powder, they can just use the new powder when it becomes available.

I guess they would need to recertify it. Not sure how expensive that is.

I modded the Alien Probe and ExoSkell for 24 mm (the first easy, the second a challenge but worked great.). This was before the Quest 18 mm D was available.

I have a bagged PortaPot shot and a Bagged Estes Outlander I WAS gonna mod for 24mm (and rear eject for PortaPot for practical and thematic reasons.) I think the Quest D may make the mods unnecessary. @Antares JS
I theenk said the Quest D worked, the C5 didn’t for the Outlander.

When the Estes Pro Series II (PSII) product line was released ten years ago it went over like a lead balloon.
The kits were fine but not particularly impressive. The kicker was the Suggested Retail Price (SRP) of these models which was $60-$70 each.
Estes sells through hobby distributors who a get a discounted price (Usually 50% or more discount off of SRP) on the product to then turn around and sell it to hobby shops at a modestly higher price (40% discount off of SRP).
Estes has to make it's money on sales to hobby distributors at 50% discount and not the end consumer who buys the model.
In addition, Estes contracted AeroTech to make motors for this product line (The motors were relabeled by Estes). Smaller profit in selling these motors.
Finally, the new owners of Estes (Hobbico) expected that the PSII kits would sell as many as 5000 a year. This did not happen.
That's when Estes cancelled further development of the PSII line and sold off the remaining stock at fire-sale prices.
It was at this point that the PSII kits became 'popular'.

Estes would try again with their PSII E2X products and their own 29mm black powder motors.
Thanks for that clarification! I'm surprised that sales were that bad.

Among the rocketry club fliers I flew and progressed with, they were a dream come true, however that may be just my view of things because I got into rocketry ~2014 with Estes low power, so them having high power was amazing and a natural progression.

I still recall making that first Mega Der Red Max and my family and friends would say "WOW" when they first saw it and that's when I knew I was no longer just flying low power. :wos_love:

China.
Like the way every heroin dealer cuts the quality of the product by adding baking soda or something, and then reselling the same product at 1/2 the quality to make more money, I suspect the Chinese factory that is pumping out all of Estes' product line is cutting back on the quality of materials, which includes the quality of the black powder, to make more profit. Although it seems like the Ferengi in Star Trek were meant to be (or turned into) a slanderous parody of Jewish people, I believe China has done a really good job embracing the Rules of Acquisition.

China.
Like the way every heroin dealer cuts the quality of the product by adding baking soda or something, and then reselling the same product at 1/2 the quality to make more money, I suspect the Chinese factory that is pumping out all of Estes' product line is cutting back on the quality of materials, which includes the quality of the black powder, to make more profit. Although it seems like the Ferengi in Star Trek were meant to be (or turned into) a slanderous parody of Jewish people, I believe China has done a really good job embracing the Rules of Acquisition.
I thought all of Estes BP Motors were made domestically. :dontknow:

China.
Do you have any evidence of this? Also, if this were occurring, don't you think Estes would know about it? Or are you saying they do, but look the other way?

Do you have any evidence of this?
I had two recent CATOs with Estes BP motors where the nozzle blew out. This isn't saying to me that the powder is too powerful, it's saying to me that whatever glue they use to keep the nozzle in place is too weak. Like they are cutting back on the glue. I have another rocketeer who recommends to me that we all put a little ring of epoxy around the nozzle to hold things in place. While it seems that customer service is happy to provide replacement motors, when I informed them of that plan, they urged me not to modify the motors in any way as that voids the warantee. Nevertheless this other rocketeer who has epoxied the nozzle isn't experiencing CATOs.

This is *NOT* hard evidence and is circumstantial, I know. Won't hold up in court. Already aware.

That said, my experience has been that something is amiss, and I should not be experiencing such a thing with brand new packages of D and E motors.

Back