Estes and Apogee builders kit . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawa

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just getting back into the hobby and wanted to know if anyone has gotten the Estes or Apogee builders kits that come with the assortment of parts, etc. I think Apogee may have a couple of different ones.

I got an Estes pack in the early 90's and it was good from what I remember. If anybody has suggestions or advice, or other 'builder's special' kits, I'd be glad to hear about it.

Thank you!
-Jason

Do you mean the Estes "Designer Special" kits?

They are a decent deal.

The Apogee one is OK but some of the stuff is designed for the Apogee 10.5mm motors. Still not a bad deal.

I don't know if those 10.5mm medalist motors will ever come back...but they might.

Or for your best bet try Red Arrow Hobbies if ya like the Estes type tubes.

https://www.stores.ebay.com/redarrowhobbies/plistings/list/all/dept1/index.html?col=2&dir=-1

He has a great body tube and nose cone assortment.

sandman

From one brand new BAR to another, let me welcome you back into the hobby - I'd been out for 30 years, and just recently got back in via the paper model rocket route. Now I'm getting going full stream with both the paper stuff and the regular rocs.

I just bought the Estes Designer's Special, figuring on building a few clones from the plans on Jimz site. Not bad, but biggest disappointment was discovering that all the nose cones are plastic. Not a single balsa cone in the box any more. (It seems that Estes has completely discontinued all balsa cones.) This wouldn't be so bad, except the large ones are definitely blow-molded (can't tell if the small ones are, but they are the same kind of styrene). The cones included seem to be (classification from the old Estes catalogs/Custom Parts Catalog): 5AW, 5V, 2@ PNC20 cone shape that wasn't produced back in the 70's, 50K, 50Y (or maybe 50AD - can't tell for sure), 55AC and a rounded PNC60. Also one 50-55 transition.

It comes with the standard assortment of body tubes, some balsa sheets for fins, and a bunch of motor mounts, clips, centering rings, chute kits, streamers and some elastic for shock cords (the same kind you find in the fabric stores - the old fashioned rubber bands are gone as well).

So, it's kind of a mixed bag - if you're trying to build clones, you'll have to order your balsa cones from BMS or turn them yourself. If you just want to design and build a bunch of rockets using the parts in the box, it's not a bad value (8 rockets for 50 bucks), especially if you can get it at a discount (got mine from e-Hobbies for $38.99). I'll let you do the math! ;)

Greg Poehlein

Originally posted by sandman
This is one of the "BEST" deals in model rocket "stuff".

There are no nose cones with this but you get lots and lots of tubes, couplers, launch lugs, streamer material...lots of "stuff"

I just want to add, that this is a good company to do business with. I have gotten several things from him, and I have never had any trouble.......

As far as the nosecones....... I know a guy that makes great nosecones...........(Our very own Sandman)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3390

Hey sandman, have you consider making "Designers Kit"? You know, have several different size nosecones?????

Hey sandman, have you consider making "Designers Kit"? You know, have several different size nosecones?????

Actually I have thought of making them. But Balsa Machining has a "designer set...they are the same cones that Estes used to make. Also Red Arrow Hobby has a "nose cone" package too.

My stuff is all "custom" stuff...you know upscales and downscales of traditional cones. I also do diferent types of woods if desired too.

Just in case anyone is interested...I do have some Black Walnut I found. It's 2" square, I can make some really pretty cones or transitions out of it.

sandman

I have purchased both the Tube Assortment and the Nose Cone Assortment from Red Arrow and was pleased with both! Tubes and cones were great quality and service was outstanding.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input, it will really help me out!

-Jason

Back