Estes Altimeter Beta Test Help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be69ar

Reaction score
This is a general invitation to some (2-3) model rocket flyers that live in the warmer areas of the country. I am trying to get the finishing touches (electronics) on the new Estes altimeter completed and while we have been able to varify the cold end of the opertating temperature (41F), we are still several weeks away from some truly warm temps to test and verfiy our new device on the upper temperature end and with a planned delivery in the US in July, I'm running out of time. So, what I have to offer is 2-3 prototype altimeters that I would like tested in regions like Arizona, Texas, Florida, California...anywhere there is a chance that launching weather and time are favorable and winter has let go enough to supply temps over 90F.

In terms of what I am after, I need to validate the vendor advised operating range vs. real world conditions. I see the basic test as flying low impulse model rockets (say BT-50, BT-55 body tube sizes) and B/C motors in early morning conditions to establish that the unit works and gather a few data points in memory. Then, test flying the same rocket again as the daytime temperature rises and hopefully the temp inside the rocket exceeds 95F (might have to settle for ambient temp) and then fly an record data (say 5 cooler flights, 5 warmer flights). But I need rocket testers that can commit to this program and complete it within the next 2 weeks. If you are located in a warm region and could test one of these units, I'd love to hear from you. PM me and I'll forward my direct email/phone here at the rocket ranch and we can discuss particulars...oh...and in exchange for your efforts, I'll send you a new unit after the product is released as I'll need the samples and data returned. I have a rough draft of the instructions that I will email to each tester for reference. There are only a few samples available, so I am going to choose based on warm weather and the testers ability to complete the task. Remember...I need warm weather testing...we've done the cold here!
Thanks,
Mike

If we hadn't just bought a car I'd be happy to help, but a car note means I can't buy motors for my rockets. Not sure our temps will be as high as you might want but we have been seeing 80+ degrees already. hopefully some of our other SoCal rocketeers can assist.

I'd love to help...but not sure it's going to get that warm here in the next few weeks. Supposed to be between 65-70 this weekend. Not sure if mid 60's is warm enough for ya, even if the rockets sat in the sun to heat up the interiors.

...just a short note to say "thanks very much" for the assitance that I recieved with this beta test. I appreciate the effort that it took to accomplish my testing requirements in such a short window of time.
Regards,
Mike

...just a short note to say "thanks very much" for the assitance that I recieved with this beta test. I appreciate the effort that it took to accomplish my testing requirements in such a short window of time.

Good to hear you were able to find the assistance you needed! :)

-Kevin

Back