Estes A3-6T availability

TomBroad

Old Time Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just received this response from support at Estes (a very prompt response -- they are good) in regard to when to expect availability of the recently certified A3-6T:

Thank you for contacting Estes!

The A3-6T target availability date is 8/22/2022. So it is not looking promising for this summer flying season. But keep an eye on the website and social media for any changes in the target date.

Alan15578

Reaction score
I just received this response from support at Estes (a very prompt response -- they are good) in regard to when to expect availability of the recently certified A3-6T:

The A3-6T target availability date is 8/22/2022. So it is not looking promising for this summer flying season. But keep an eye on the website and social media for any changes in the target date.
That is odd. I would have expected a NARAM release.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any word on whether it will be marked as a purple-text upper stage motor or a green-text single stage? The specs and classification in the catalog were a bit wonky.

BEC

Reaction score
I expect we'll know once they are "in the wild". Old ones I have in my possession are purple as befits an upper stage motor.

smstachwick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
How about a 1/2A3-6T? And an 1/2A3-0T.
The 1/2A3 upper-stage motor is the -4T, which is more than adequate.

These mini A3 motors don’t really have enough initial thrust to function as credible booster motors either, that’s why the A10 is available in -0T and the rest aren’t.

Rocketjunkie

Addicted to APCP
Reaction score
There used to be an A3-0T, plenty of thrust for a 4 stage rack rocket back in the 70's.

mwtoelle

Flying since 1977
Reaction score
I used a pack of 1/2A3-0Ts flying my Beta (Estes 0845) kit back in the mid-90s. They worked well, especially on small fields. I wish Estes still made them.

aerostadt

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The NAR Contest Board has set four different A-motor competition events in the list for the 2022-2023 Contest Year. To the best of my knowledge the longest delay time for a 13 mm NAR certified "available" motor is the A3-4T. Obviously, if an A3-6 motor becomes available, it will catch the attention of those who are interested in doing competition.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Are they available?

turbofireball

Model Rocket Fanatic
Reaction score
It seems the target date has been missed, at this point, by 6 weeks. Also, at this point in time, Estes has not notified hobby shops and/or hobby distributors that they are available to order.

dwinings

Reaction score
The 1/2A3 upper-stage motor is the -4T, which is more than adequate.

These mini A3 motors don’t really have enough initial thrust to function as credible booster motors either, that’s why the A10 is available in -0T and the rest aren’t.
I never had a problem with A3-0T when they were available, they have plenty of thrust for a booster.

smstachwick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Pffft, not even that much. I'd be ok putting it in anything with the ideal closer to -6 than -4.

I know that chute and the mini buttons are a bit ridiculous, most of my OR projects are ridiculous in some sense or another.

Stachwick MD13-A3-6T.jpg

Stachwick MD13-A3-6T 3D finished.jpg

Attachments

• Stachwick MD13-A3-6T.ork
    47.4 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Belleville is showing the bulk pack in stock. No listing for the four pack.
I would check with them first before ordering and make sure that's not a mistake.
Estes still not listing it.
Laters.
13mm 5 stage rack, woo! A10-0 x 4, A3-6 on top.

SolarYellow

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's not indexed here, so I'm guessing they just put up the product page to get ready when they arrive.

On the other hand, Estes isn't exactly awesome about having stuff listed on their site.

Initiator001

Reaction score
Packs of A3-2T and A3-6T motors are now available on the Apogee Components website.

I expect these motors will soon show up as available from other vendors.

smstachwick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Packs of A3-2T and A3-6T motors are now available on the Apogee Components website.

I expect these motors will soon show up as available from other vendors.
Every time I hear about new motors I always wonder about which rockets may be good for them. Maybe we’ll find out in the 2023 catalog.

BEC

Reaction score
A3-6Ts will be good for upper stages of sport models like the Checkmate, but also for B Altitude competition models and possibly B Payload Altitude models as well. These are typically two stages with A10-0T on the first stage. Some of these I've flown lately are pretty wimpy though. See https://flightsketch.com/flights/3846/ from earlier today. This is an almost stock Checkmate. On that particular flight, though, the 4-second delay was almost exactly 4s, and was the right delay based on the altitude curve. A 6-second delay wouldn't have done it much good on that flight.

A3-2Ts will be good for A Rocket Glider and A Boost Glider competition and maybe A Helicopter as well.

shockie

High Plains Rocketeer
Reaction score
I wish Estes would at least try to make their delays more accurate. I know, I know, +- 20%, but that's just being lazy. After all these years, you would think Estes could do a tighter tolerance , say +-10%.

Jeez Estes, add a little more delay train charge. How freaking difficult would that be.

Adjust your MABEL'S to add a small increment. How difficult can that be?

So the A3-6T is actually an A3-4T, while the A3-4T is an A3-3T.

And make some A3-0T, and 1/2A3-0 and 1/2A3-6 .

Everybody doesn't have access to large flying fields.

We need more park flyer motors.

Ok back to your regularly scheduled station.

TigerHawk

Reaction score
Chris’ Rocket Supplies has stock currently,