Estes A10-3T - 2 CATOs Batch# B180619

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by beantownJPL, Aug 24, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

Tags:
  1. Aug 24, 2019 #1

beantownJPL

beantownJPL

beantownJPL

Up up and away... Wait! Come back! TRF Supporter

I went to a club launch today (CMASS launch in Acton), and it was a real CATO-fest today. Not sure what's up with that ... really moderate weather conditions.

Personally, I had two A10-3T motors CATO - one model destroyed (Semroc Gyroc - RIP), the other model survived. The first CATO blew out both ends of the motor and a pretty spectacular fireball into the air (that's the one that destroyed the Gyroc), the second CATO blew out the nozzle and made everyone go "oooh!".

I filed MESS reports on both, and have contacted Estes as well. Batch# B180619

If you have any A10-3T motors from this batch, you may consider not flying them in anything you care about going "BOOM" on the pad!

Attached Files:

2. Aug 24, 2019 #2

kuririn

kuririn

kuririn

BARGeezer TRF Supporter

Do you know how old they were, and how they were stored? I'm thinking temperature cycling may have contributed to the CATOs since the 13 mm motors do not have a reputation for CATOing.

3. Aug 24, 2019 #3

beantownJPL

beantownJPL

beantownJPL

I had purchased them within the last few weeks from a local (and reputable) retailer, and store them in "controlled" conditions. I have a nice toolbox with partitions that I keep my motors in. They are stored in my (dry) basement - never exceeds about 80F.

I was also surprised. I have flown at least hundreds of Estes motors from A-E, never had a CATO before, let alone two on the same day. I had many other flights on other Estes motors today (total of 240 flights for the club today!) - I personally had at least a dozen launches.

Today's conditions were partly cloudy, high in the mid 70's ~65-70% Relative humidity.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  4. Aug 25, 2019 #4

BEC

BEC

BEC

With that date code they were only a couple of months old - June 18, 2019. Wow!

I had an A10-0T CATO the other day, but it was MUCH older - 6 A 6 or June 6, 1996.

5. Aug 25, 2019 #5

beantownJPL

beantownJPL

beantownJPL

Yeah ... it happens I guess. They probably turn out millions of motors. Some go boom.

SOMETHING about today's conditions were weird. There were AT LEAST 7 definite CATOs out of 240 launches at today's launch (2 of my own).

I did have a launch on an E12-4 that was "questionable". The ejection charge seemed a little "energetic" and tore out the motor hook. I have a video and the motor landed practically at my feet. Was it an anomaly? Maybe. I didn't think much about it at the time (and I no longer have the casing for lot #), but I started thinking about it after I got home.

You'd have to call this a "perfect" day. Moderate winds, temps in the 70's, comfortable humidity.

Here's the video: