Estes A, B & C Motors in 2 packs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sl98

Reaction score
2017-07-03 13.56.42.jpg2017-07-03 13.56.49.jpg2017-07-03 13.56.37.jpg2017-07-03 13.58.24.jpg

I saw these today at a retail store. It appears A, B & C motors are also going to 2 packs like the C11 & D. Wadding is included in the 2 packs. Package size appears to be the same as a 3 pack (card and plastic) They were priced at $7.99.

Join the Michaels Store club. I get a 50% off coupon nearly every week. I print out a pant load of them and buy engines. I go to a different cashier each time because the coupons are one per customer per day. Sometimes I print extras and give then out to other people. There is always a way to beat the system. I pay about $7.50 for a three pack of Bs and Cs.

Join the Michaels Store club. I get a 50% off coupon nearly every week.

There is always a way to beat the system. I pay about $7.50 for a three pack of Bs and Cs.

Soon it appears you can use the coupon for a 2 pack.

Those packs have been in mass market retailers (around here Fred Meyer and a very few WalMarts) for quite some time now. Hobby Lobby and regular hobby shops have the three-packs we're accustomed to.

Those packs have been in mass market retailers (around here Fred Meyer and a very few WalMarts) for quite some time now. Hobby Lobby and regular hobby shops have the three-packs we're accustomed to.

This retailer had both the old 3 packs and the 2 packs. You can see A8-3 3-packs in 3rd photo. Makes me wonder if 3-packs are going away when current stock is depleted.

Michaels used to sell some nice kits along with C11 and D12 motors. They also used to sell the blast off packs of 24 motors. Toys R Us and Walmart used to sell kits and engines. Now if I need engines or kits I can buy online from AC Supply which does not charge for shipping if your order in over $100. Hobby Linc also has good prices and if you buy enough stuff they give you bigger discounts.

I hate the price per motor increase games that Estes seems to be playing these days, soon they are going to approach the price per motor of composite reloads, at that point the only reason I will fly BP is for LPR staging and 13mm.

I saw these at Target a few weeks ago for $8.99 for TWO. Man, I'm glad I fly high power... Open up your wallet some more!

Whoa! That's $4.50 a launch. I'm surprised that Target charges full retail. Your best bet for BP engines is the 24 pack Bulk Packs from AC Supply. C6-5 pack sells for $51 which is $2.13 per launch. I fly BP, Mid Power and some HP. You can get a great deal on composite E and F engines from HobbyLinc. If I need a G or H I can order them from Robert and Gloria DeHate. I would rather buy from them to support their business that buy online and pay the $30 hazmat fee.

Were you in a Fry's Electronics?

They are transitioning from the 3 packs to the 2 packs that have already appeared in other stores (Meijers - I don't have them near me, so i will not spell them correctly).

AFAIK, no Michael's stores carry model rockets anymore. If they have started to carry them again, please post a real confirmation, not a memory from 4 years ago. Thanks.

View attachment 323312View attachment 323313View attachment 323314View attachment 323315

I saw these today at a retail store. It appears A, B & C motors are also going to 2 packs like the C11 & D. Wadding is included in the 2 packs. Package size appears to be the same as a 3 pack (card and plastic) They were priced at $7.99.

Michael's sells those E2X and ready to fly kits. They also have those starter sets with the pad and controller and a rocket. Look for those 40 and 50 percent off coupons and you can get started in rocketry for a decent price.

What city and state are you located in, as they may not be selling them at all locations nationwide.

They used to sell them at most locations nationwide and then they dropped model rockets from all locations nationwide. If they have actually started selling them again, it would be good to be specific about where they have actually been verified to exist.

For instance, Fry's Electronics does not sell them at all locations. They used to and then they dropped them from locations where sales were low or they were directly next to LAX. Not a good idea to have people from Inglewood CA driving over the Fry's and buying a bunch of E9 powered models and launching them directly into the approach pattern of LAX.

I visited two locations this week and they are converting over to the 2 packs of motors. No where near the vast selection they used to carry. Starting to look like Citation rockets in JC Penny's or Macy's in the early 1970's.

Michael's sells those E2X and ready to fly kits. They also have those starter sets with the pad and controller and a rocket. Look for those 40 and 50 percent off coupons and you can get started in rocketry for a decent price.

I live in Boston, the city of champions. [video=youtube;wMcZRU2LyWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMcZRU2LyWA[/video]
I used to get great rocketry stuff at Michaels. Now just A, B and C engines. I do get Balsa and basswood for scratch built rockets. These days you save a ton online. AC Supply and Hobbylinc rock/

Whoa! That's $4.50 a launch. I'm surprised that Target charges full retail. Your best bet for BP engines is the 24 pack Bulk Packs from AC Supply. C6-5 pack sells for $51 which is $2.13 per launch. I fly BP, Mid Power and some HP. You can get a great deal on composite E and F engines from HobbyLinc. If I need a G or H I can order them from Robert and Gloria DeHate. I would rather buy from them to support their business that buy online and pay the $30 hazmat fee.

One of my local Target stores has the two-pack of C6-5 on clearance. For $6.50 or so - don't remember exactly because I put them back down quickly...

Chris

The Renton, WA Fry's has rockets....though the last time I was in there motors were still the regular 3-packs of 18mm motors. I don't get there as often as I used to before I retired, since that location was within reasonable walking distance of my desk at the Renton Boeing facility.

I guess I need to start looking in Michaels stores in the area again - there haven't been rockets for a long time in any of them within a reasonable distance of me.

No Target around here has had rockets for a long time (at least a couple of years).

I was in a hobby shop (a HobbyTown USA) yesterday and while they had a number of kits and launch sets with the new face cards/graphics that match the two-pack 18mm motors, the motors themselves were all the recent hobby-shop style three packs (no wadding) for 18mm motors and two packs for 24mm motors. This particular HobbyTown (Tukwila, WA) caters to the educational market some - they sell bulk packs of motors very near the AC Supply price and yesterday they had a bulk box of Alphas for three dollars less than AC Supply's current price. Otherwise their rocketry stuff is at full retail.

Back